Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: What's new in retro-prog?

The Tuskmorke is one I keep meaning to pick up.

I love this band.

They just played SXSW, too.
    Last edited by polmico; 03-28-2013 at 06:37 PM. Reason: I'm stupid. People make fun of me. It makes me sad.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

That Arabs In Aspic reminds me of something from the 70s that wasn't Prog, but still good. Haven't been able to put my finger on it yet.

I may be remembering things wrong, but I think I checked out a clip/sample of Lifesigns when it was first announced, and if I did, it's not what Jim is looking for. 'Nuff said.

- What's new in retro-prog?
    - Same old, same old

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Trying to decide whether to pick up the J&tAO and PP on vinyl or CD.
    I bought JESS & THE ANCIENT ONES on CD. I'm not such a big fan to give them a vinyl treatment (the 2nd is a mini album as well) and the CDs look great as well; the debut is a deluxe box and the 2nd a mini-LP styled sleeve.

For PSYCHO PRAXIS I think that the vinyl is the best way to go. The CD is a simple jewel box but the vinyl cover is a gorgeous gimmic cut gatefold cover that looks like a window.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

I may be remembering things wrong, but I think I checked out a clip/sample of Lifesigns when it was first announced, and if I did, it's not what Jim is looking for. 'Nuff said.
    Lifesigns ain't retro but rather on the neo edge with a modernised hint at late 70s Yes.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Some really nice clips in this thread. I've got all of the Crystal Thoughts albums, and they're wonderful, but I suspect more Psychedelic than Jim is looking for, though there are certainly Prog elements.

I really liked the Jess and the Ancient Ones, (sounds like it could have been on Rise Above,) and also the Psycho Praxis, the Tusmorke (who I'd already heard,) and to a lesser extent, the Marran and Crowned In Earth.
    Trying to decide whether to pick up the J&tAO and PP on vinyl or CD.
    I would pick up Jess and the Ancient Ones CD,as ocean postages for vinyl are so bitch.And that Jess vinyl edition is just plane jane.

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    CAN AM DES PUIG (UK/Spain) Reformation for the completion of the Book of Am work.

I ordered this from Greece dealer yesterday.I thought to cut from buying and safe rest for something fun.
    Opening this thread is pandoras box again

Of course Spyros beat me to the punch on most of the new cool stuff out there. And I've had my eyes on that Le Porte non Aperte as well (haven't heard yet). Another band I've been tracking is Oxhuitza (Italy), who sound great on paper, but I haven't heard it either.

I didn't see it mentioned, and perhaps it's too obvious, but don't miss the new La Maschera di Cera, Jim. It's a bullseye for the style.

I don't remember what was on the original lists, but two bands I've absorbed since the last discussion are Eldberg (Iceland), and Moogg (Italy), that are an absolute must in this context.

For PSYCHO PRAXIS I think that the vinyl is the best way to go. The CD is a simple jewel box but the vinyl cover is a gorgeous gimmic cut gatefold cover that looks like a window.
    Oooh... I didn't know that. I sense a supplemental version to my CD coming soon

Quote Originally Posted by ashratom View Post
    I don't remember what was on the original lists, but two bands I've absorbed since the last discussion are Eldberg (Iceland), and Moogg (Italy), that are an absolute must in this context.
    As an adjunct, Eyþór Ingi (Eldberg’s lead singer) is actually representing Iceland at Eurovision this year:

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"'Thin Thighs For Your Man.' But I don't *like* men with thin thighs" --Daria

N.P.:“The Diary of Horace Wimp”-Electric Light Orchestra/Discovery

I didn't see it mentioned, and perhaps it's too obvious, but don't miss the new La Maschera di Cera, Jim. It's a bullseye for the style.
    Didn't mention them as they had a parallel thread going on. Of course, as Tom mentions, their last is an absolute must own and their best album to my ears!

I still need to check-out Eldberg. I second the Moogg recommendation. Great album with a canterburish flavour.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

what's old in modern prog?

Quote Originally Posted by mnprogger View Post
    what's old in modern prog?
    All of it.

Another band I've been tracking is Oxhuitza (Italy), who sound great on paper, but I haven't heard it either.
    Tom, you can hear it on Prog Streaming.

Banned
    Couldn't this thread also be called What's Retro In New Prog?

Just out!

Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Wow.Great stuff,Spyros.
    I just ordered Psycho Praxis and Periferia del mondo from BTF( Seems only place at the moment who carries Psycho Praxis)
    Also NECRONOMICON LP + CD from their bassist.Crystal Thoughts - The Pagan via Discogs ( very limited prints and expensive already)
    Still need Purple Overdose - Gemineye and few more ...gosh thanks guys for this thread

Sammal - Puolikuu

Sammal - Kylmää usvaa

Quote Originally Posted by Modry Effekt View Post
    Still need Purple Overdose - Gemineye and few more ...gosh thanks guys for this thread
    You can get the PURPLE OVERDOSE "Gemineye" here: http://www.anazitisirecords.com/shop/

Thanks for posting SAMMAL. Very enjoyable rural heavy rock that sounds to my ears most swedish than finnish. Looks that I'll have to visit Svart's website
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

You can get the PURPLE OVERDOSE "Gemineye" here: http://www.anazitisirecords.com/shop/

Thanks for posting SAMMAL. Very enjoyable rural heavy rock that sounds to my ears most swedish than finnish. Looks that I'll have to visit Svart's website
    You are welcome.I have been customer for anazitisi long time.Great folks.

Maybe not retro,but this comes from my hometown

Riutta - Olen nähnyt parempaa

I recommend ordering here instead Svart site.Great label though.

http://www.levykauppax.fi/

DODSON AND FOGG (UK) featuring Celia Humphris of Trees and Nik Turner
    Spyros, is your copy a CD or CDR? The listing on RYM is a CD, but my copy is a CDR and so is another one for sale on ebay.

Both DODSON AND FOGG albums are professionaly printed CDRs, issued by the artist himself.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Thanks Spyros. I ordered the 2nd this morning. There are also 2 CD singles which are very limited and I think sold out, but they don't contain non-album material afaik.

Jim, here's some retro-Arthur Brown for ya.....

Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    Jim, here's some retro-Arthur Brown for ya.....

Woww... that guy sure is Geoff Crozier that Aussie weirdo wizard is not on this earth anymore for ages now...
    Last edited by TheH; 04-20-2013 at 03:16 PM.