Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Heart ...early Heart!

Thanks Scott. I really mean no harm nor do I have any ill will toward JIF.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    This could be a whole thread on its own. Not to drag another person into this but JIF kinda reminds me of Thomas from a few years back. That need to carry the "rod of correction" in every thread and bop people on the nose every time someone says something he disagreed with. But anyway, the things you'll always find on every single forum, on every single topic imaginable is the pedants who feel they need to set people straight on everything from punctuation, to historical errors. They just have a need to correct, as if they're doing you and everyone else a favor. In all the years I've posted on message boards there is at least one pedantic type, an "alpha-male" type, an "alpha-female" type, a class clown, etc., etc. It's a volatile mix and it's mostly a lot of fun. You just gotta have a sense of humor or you won't survive. And being sincere and apologizing once in a while doesn't hurt either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Great post, Vic.
    I did apologize(see post #41). I also said let's move on(and I put this thread back on track). They, Jerjo brought it up again. I apologize. I mean no ill will towards anyone. Can we finally move on? For the record:I don't care if anyone disagrees with me. I just don't know how to properly express myself. If someone doesn't like something, I like to know why. At the same token, when someone talks about a band and/or genre I don't know about, I ask questions. Like on the stoner thread.

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    I did apologize(see post #41). Can we finally move on? d.

yup, please... let's move on
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

So moving on, big Heart fan here. Love the 1st four albums as many of us around here do but still very much a fan of their later work and I don't believe that it should be that easily dismissed as unimportant. Bebe LeStrange has much to offer IMHO and is pretty much a complete album to my ears. Things get a littler dodgy with Private Audition yet it has some excellent cuts (the totally rocking City's Burning, The Situation, the lovely Hey Darlin' Darlin', the totally rocking Fast Times and the end cut America). It would also be the last album to feature Mike DeRosier on the drums and Steve Fossen on the bass.

Passionworks is IMHO the sleeper of the catalog, a tour-de-force showcasing Ann Wilson at her best with cuts such as Sleep Alone, How Can I Refuse, Blue Guitar and Language of Love as well as the lovely Nancy Wilson-sung Love Mistake.

I'm not going to get too much into the following three albums (Heart, Bad Animals and Brigade) except to say that as the hard-core Heart fan that I am that there is a lot to love on them. There is still a lot of valid tunes on each of the three, some rock songs and some ballads as well as some a-bit-too-commercial-for-even-my-tastes tunes but overall I still feel they are still very valid in the overall catalog.

The other sleeper album in their catalog IMHO is 1993's Desire Walks On, a combination of mature love songs (The Woman in Me, In Walks the Night, My Crazy Head, Will You Be There (In the Morning) and the absolutely beautiful Anything Is Possible as well as Back to Avalon. The rockers still rock on the title track, Back on Black II, Rage and Voodoo Doll.

And out of the last three albums, Fanatic IMHO is the best. Just my two cents worth.

Oh BTW, they still ROCK live in concert! Saw them in Feburary and will be seeing them again this summer, Ann can still shatter glass at will and Nancy is still a very underrated guitarist.

Peace,
    Alex

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ajcmixer View Post
    So moving on, big Heart fan here. Love the 1st four albums as many of us around here do but still very much a fan of their later work and I don't believe that it should be that easily dismissed as unimportant. Bebe LeStrange has much to offer IMHO and is pretty much a complete album to my ears. Things get a littler dodgy with Private Audition yet it has some excellent cuts (the totally rocking City's Burning, The Situation, the lovely Hey Darlin' Darlin', the totally rocking Fast Times and the end cut America). It would also be the last album to feature Mike DeRosier on the drums and Steve Fossen on the bass.

Passionworks is IMHO the sleeper of the catalog, a tour-de-force showcasing Ann Wilson at her best with cuts such as Sleep Alone, How Can I Refuse, Blue Guitar and Language of Love as well as the lovely Nancy Wilson-sung Love Mistake.

I'm not going to get too much into the following three albums (Heart, Bad Animals and Brigade) except to say that as the hard-core Heart fan that I am that there is a lot to love on them. There is still a lot of valid tunes on each of the three, some rock songs and some ballads as well as some a-bit-too-commercial-for-even-my-tastes tunes but overall I still feel they are still very valid in the overall catalog.

The other sleeper album in their catalog IMHO is 1993's Desire Walks On, a combination of mature love songs (The Woman in Me, In Walks the Night, My Crazy Head, Will You Be There (In the Morning) and the absolutely beautiful Anything Is Possible as well as Back to Avalon. The rockers still rock on the title track, Back on Black II, Rage and Voodoo Doll.

And out of the last three albums, Fanatic IMHO is the best. Just my two cents worth.

Oh BTW, they still ROCK live in concert! Saw them in Feburary and will be seeing them again this summer, Ann can still shatter glass at will and Nancy is still a very underrated guitarist.

Peace,
    Alex
    Judging by your review, I guess I should give Passionworks a chance.

Especially if you can get it on the cheap, Jordan. I think it is underrated. Saw them touring behind that album on a double bill with Kansas in '83, I believe, and they blew Kansas, another beloved band of mine, away. Granted, it was at a low point of Kansas' career (Drastic Measures, which it was......and Kerry Livgren leaving shortly afterwards...) but Ann was just singing super at that time.

Peace,
    Alex

Banned
    Especially if you can get it on the cheap, Jordan. I think it is underrated. Saw them touring behind that album on a double bill with Kansas in '83, I believe, and they blew Kansas, another beloved band of mine, away. Granted, it was at a low point of Kansas' career (Drastic Measures, which it was......and Kerry Livgren leaving shortly afterwards...) but Ann was just singing super at that time.

Peace,
    Alex
    I was at a Best Buy in Utah many months ago, and they had a Heart CD three pack with Bebe Le Strange, Private Audition, and Passionworks. So, yes I do have. Haven't listened to it in a while. So, I think I'll shall dig it out soon.

I was at a Best Buy in Utah many months ago, and they had a Heart CD three pack with Bebe Le Strange, Private Audition, and Passionworks. So, yes I do have. Haven't listened to it in a while. So, I think I'll shall dig it out soon.
    I've seen that one, Jordan, and that's the one I was hoping you would/could find out there for cheap. But since you have it already based on the quote, yeah, pull it out and see if you like the songs that I quoted in my post. Happy listening!

Peace,
    Alex

Banned
    I've seen that one, Jordan, and that's the one I was hoping you would/could find out there for cheap. But since you have it already based on the quote, yeah, pull it out and see if you like the songs that I quoted in my post. Happy listening!

Peace,
    Alex
    I got it because that's the only way that I could find Bebe Le Strange.

I got it because that's the only way that I could find Bebe Le Strange.
    Then you might find that you possibly struck musical gold with at least parts of the other two with it. Please let me know of your listening experience, I'm curious to hear what you hear in them, good, bad or indifferent.

Peace,
    Alex

I would agree that "Passionworks" is a sleeper in the band's catalouge. Not the band's best, but a solid album that seems to be overlooked a lot.

Steve Sly

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I would agree that "Passionworks" is a sleeper in the band's catalouge. Not the band's best, but a solid album that seems to be overlooked a lot.

Steve Sly
    Steve, I believe a lot of the "overlooked" part came with the fact that it was their last album with/for Epic Records and we all know what that usually entails: being overlooked by your own record label which means yadda yadda yadda aka no real money or publicity given to a band that is probably taking their business elsewhere. And did Capitol appreciate their business in 1985, eh...

Peace,
    Alex

The song "How Can I Refuse" from Passionworks is one of my favorite Heart tunes. The album is indeed worthy!

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    The song "How Can I Refuse" from Passionworks is one of my favorite Heart tunes. The album is indeed worthy!