Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Joe Bonamassa

Quote Originally Posted by Banquo View Post
    based on the fact that he didn't really have a backgound of being in a band or having a recording history outside of Bloodline ... but sooner or later the guy has to play down the prodigy thing and create his own niche ... but he can't be a leader in a band where his mates have more credentials unless he owns the name, of course
    Three statements that have no basis in reality and only illustrate your bias.

And, the "21 people taking care of the 25 guitars that he surrounds himself with on stage" is really just you placing your assumption onto a number that really wasn't clarified. We don't know who those 21 are, do we?

Joe's not god. But, he's also not what you portray him as being. He's an incredibly humble musician.

We get it. You don't care for him. Move on.

Just for the record, I like Rory Gallagher and Joe Bonamassa about equally, but not for the same reasons. It's possible to like the good qualities of both. Or do some people really fall into the trap that because Indian food is so delicious, it must mean Italian food has to be inferior?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    We get it. You don't care for him. Move on.
    Guy, I'm just expressing an opinion in a civil manner, based on my observations, which obviously differ from your own. I don't expect for you to agree. You can tell me I'm wrong, but don't tell me what to do. No one's stopping you from moving on yourself.

I love Rory!

Guy, I'm just expressing an opinion in a civil manner, based on my observations, which obviously differ from your own. I don't expect for you to agree. You can tell me I'm wrong, but don't tell me what to do. No one's stopping you from moving on yourself.
    I get it. I'm not looking for a pissing contest. Ron's the name. You are entitled to your own opinion, but you're not entitled to your own facts.

Banned
    I hate Indian food!

First (and only) time I saw Joe was approx 2 years ago in Philadelphia at a sold out Academy of Music. During the show he commented on how humble and appreciative he was of the sold out show and he recalled his very first concert in Philadelphia that was attended by five people, and then he jokingly asked if the 5 people were in the house (which of course hundreds clapped).

Playing in a large city to only 5 people doesn't seem like anything was handed to him. Regarding your quote:

But not every kid gets to grow up in a guitar store or gets mentored by Danny Gatton or gets to jam with B.B. King. So, obviously he had the advantages that maybe someone just as talented or driven would never have.
    Maybe he created his own advantages. Luck is sometimes defined as opportunity intersecting with preparation.

There maybe are many other guitarists just as talented as Joe, but I don't think that you have given him credit for his tenacity. How many musicians give up after playing in town after town to fewer than 20 people? I wouldn't think that would promote a huge ego as you imply.

I also don't get your derision for him having several guitars on stage with him. Maybe he is thinking about the audience and doesn't want to waste time tuning between songs, or they each have a unique sound he is looking for on particular songs, or there are actually different tunings for songs, or he wants to use them as stage props. Do you complain to your mechanic why does he have a stand-up toolbox full of tools, when he can get away with an all-in-one wrench? He's a professional trying to put on the best show for the paying audience. If he can afford the guitars, and he plays them flawlessly and entertains, then why complain "on the number"?

AAAUUGGHHHH!!! SHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSH UTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUT UPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUP SHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSH UTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUT UPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUP SHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSH UTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUT UPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUP SHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSH UTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUT UPSHUTUPSHUTUP!!!!!
    Gnish-gnosh borble wiff, shlauuffin oople tirk.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikhael View Post
    AAAUUGGHHHH!!! SHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSH UTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUT UPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUP SHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSH UTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUT UPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUP SHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSH UTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUT UPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUP SHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSH UTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUT UPSHUTUPSHUTUP!!!!!
    Easy for you to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Mountain View Post
    First (and only) time I saw Joe was approx 2 years ago in Philadelphia at a sold out Academy of Music. During the show he commented on how humble and appreciative he was of the sold out show and he recalled his very first concert in Philadelphia that was attended by five people, and then he jokingly asked if the 5 people were in the house (which of course hundreds clapped).

Playing in a large city to only 5 people doesn't seem like anything was handed to him. Regarding your quote:

Maybe he created his own advantages. Luck is sometimes defined as opportunity intersecting with preparation.

There maybe are many other guitarists just as talented as Joe, but I don't think that you have given him credit for his tenacity. How many musicians give up after playing in town after town to fewer than 20 people? I wouldn't think that would promote a huge ego as you imply.

I also don't get your derision for him having several guitars on stage with him. Maybe he is thinking about the audience and doesn't want to waste time tuning between songs, or they each have a unique sound he is looking for on particular songs, or there are actually different tunings for songs, or he wants to use them as stage props. Do you complain to your mechanic why does he have a stand-up toolbox full of tools, when he can get away with an all-in-one wrench? He's a professional trying to put on the best show for the paying audience. If he can afford the guitars, and he plays them flawlessly and entertains, then why complain "on the number"?

I met Joe several years ago when he opened up for the Greg Allman Band at the Scottish Rites Auditorium in Collingswood NJ. He was really humble, spoke to everyone out in the lobby area while signing lots of autographs. He has plenty of great music but I am really enjoying his latest collaboration with the awesome Beth Hart. Their version of "I'd Rather Go Blind" which Jeff Beck did with her at the Kennedy Center Honors is really good.
    Hyfi
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Main Systen - Rotel 1072 > VAC CLA1 MKII > Counterpoint NPS 400 > Clearfield Continentals > Synergystic Reserch
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Secondary - Oppo 93 > Hafler 945 Pre-Tuner > Odyssey Stratos+> Dynaudio Audience 82s > Tara Labs & Zip Cord