Thread: Steve Unruh/Resistor news

Steve Unruh/Resistor news

I know there are at least a few fans here (or there were on 2.0 anyway! ) Looking forward to some of these projects, particularly the Resistor album!

RESISTOR has been busy working on the new album, titled "To the Stars". We're months behind our original schedule, but we're getting fantastic results. I think you'll agree it's worth the wait when it comes out early next year. We've got all but two tunes recorded, and the last two tunes are fully written; we're just rehearsing them now so we get killer takes for the album. The audio textures and vocals of "Rise" return for this album, but it's in no way a rehash of previous stuff... I suppose I could say that if you loved "Rise", you'll probably love "To the Stars", but there are lots of musical surprises, experiments, and adventures in store.

I'm about 95% done with the stereo mix of our RoSFest show. Mike Potter of Orion Studios got a great clean multitrack recording for us, we're very happy with how we played that day, and I've put a ton of work into mixing and polishing the sound so it leaps out of your stereo speakers. I imagine we'll make a CD of the show; the audio is certainly worthy of the album treatment.

I mentioned a while back that I had written a 15-minute tune for the upcoming Colossus Lovecraft project. That large project (a 3-CD set) is in the final stages of production now, and should be on the market within a couple of months. Like other Colossus/Musea collaborations, the packaging is amazing. I was honored to be asked to select the track running order, and that was a fun job! It also turns out that our track, performed with the Samurai of Prog and special guest Lalo Huber of Nexus, was requested by the project coordinator to be the first track, also an honor. I don't know what was in the water when bands were writing music for this project, but this project is filled with amazing music. If you're a fan of weird-sci stories a-la Twilight Zone, X-Files and Fringe, and you love progressive rock, this project is NOT TO BE MISSED. My favorite of all the Colossus projects so far.

I'm playing violin and flute on the new Willowglass album. You can find info on Willowglass at this link: http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=1694. It's a very neat project, the style of which should appeal to fans of my solo albums, particularly the instrumental sections of Song to the Sky. I originally agreed to play two or three violin and flute parts, but fell in love with Andrew Marshall's music and wound up recording violin and flute throughout almost the entire thing. I'm about 80% done with my parts, and am really looking forward to seeing how this album comes together in the coming months, especially if the artwork is as good as the previous Willowglass CDs.

We're wrapping up the new Samurai of Prog album. This is our second album of progressive rock cover tunes. It's like our first album, but better! We've amplified the musical creativity with lots of unique twists and additions to the compositions, and our guest artist roster is amazing... the album includes major contributions from Jon Davison (Yes), Roine Stolt (Flower Kings), Phideaux Xavier, Mark Trueack (Unitopia), Guy LeBlanc (Camel), Robert Webb (England), Linus Kåse (Anglagaard), David Myers (The Musical Box)... and more!

I'm slated to play violin on the new Unitopia album. This came about because Unitopia front man Mark Trueack sings on one of our Samurai of Prog songs, on which I play violin. Mark heard and loved my violin playing and asked if I'd be interested to play on their new epic, to which my answer - obvious to anyone familiar with Unitopia - was of course, "yes!".

Whew... and that's it! I'm not taking on any new musical projects for a few months while I get these all under wraps. Then I'm sure it'll be a few live shows with RESISTOR, some promotional stuff when these new albums all start getting released, and who then knows what else. Only time will tell!

-Steve
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Lots of excellent news, Steve.
    A new Resistor LP would scratch a persistent itch, and everything else sounds great too.
    Last edited by Jon; 11-09-2012 at 11:32 AM.

Banned
    Cool, really enjoyed these guys.

Great news Steve. Was fantastic to hear you folks last year at Rosfest!

Yeah, Rosfest was great, a cd of this show would be cool!

Steve's violin work on the newest Willowglass album is beautiful!

Yes, his violin work is always top notch! I still need to check out that Willowglass album. The Resistor RoSfest album is excellent, I love the title track of the forthcoming album!

And I will always welcome a new Unruh solo disc... some of those albums are actually my favourites of all his stuff.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Just a few minutes ago I was listening to "The Inquisitor's Jig" from the Decameron obelisk. Great tune, very clever, well done indeed.
    Hired on to work for Mr. Bill Cox, a-fixin' lawn mowers and what-not, since 1964.

"Arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon. It'll just knock over all the pieces, shit on the board, and strut about like it's won anyway." Anonymous

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin