Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Astronomy Buffs

Quote Originally Posted by tom unbound View Post
    Real clear down here last nite, but no action.
    Boy, I can relate to this.

Wait...what?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I do am really sorry for the stupids words I have posted, following your first post, I do am really sorry for that, again
    Quote Originally Posted by highaltitude View Post
    I am sorry, but
    The way your subject is presented you look like an entire and total asshole
    I am sorry again....
    lol

Is it just me or does it seem like there are more meteor showers than years past!
    http://belair.patch.com/groups/trend...lls-in-the-sky
    Looking forward to seeing this if the skies cooperate later in the week.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

PE Member Since 4/9/2002 NeonKnight's Avatar
    The Galaxy Garden:

Decided I liked the article and photo so much, voila, hello avatar.

the artist Jon Lomberg kneels next to a croton plant, removes the cheap earring that pierces a speckle on one of its leaves, and fastens a new yellow stud into the same hole. This, he says, pointing to the stud, represents the Sun. He is standing 30ft from the middle of the 100-ft-wide Galaxy Garden in the Captain Cook district of western Hawai’i. The highly manicured garden is an accurate scale model of the Milky Way galaxy, where every step takes you 2,000 light years from where you stood before. Here, the speckles on the leaves of ‘gold dust’ crotons stand in for stars. The plants reach out in spiral arms from the garden’s centre, where a spouting fountain plays the part of a monster black hole. Along the spiral limbs crowd hibiscus, vincas and red and black crotons where nebulae, gas and dust belong.
    “Where words fail, music speaks.” - Hans Christian Anderson

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Orionid Meteor Shower Tuesday morning, midnight (Oct. 21) till dawn. That's tonight. Little or no moon interference.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

No moon, lots of clouds.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Daytime - Clear, cloudless, windy.
    10:30 p.m. - Overcast and raining.
    Midnight - Clear and windy. Almost no clouds. Stayed outside a while. Lots of stars. No meteors.
    6:00 a.m. - Moonrise and false dawn in east. Stayed outside a while. Plenty of stars overhead. No meteors.

Time spent watching the night sky is never wasted, but right now I'd trade it for a good night's sleep.
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Astronomy Buffs
    Naked stargazers?
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

^Is there another way?

Annual Perseid meteor shower approaching, peaks Aug 12:

Perseid Meteor Shower 2016: When, Where & How to See It

Geminid Meteor Shower peaks tonight. I went outside last night at 12:30 am (Wednesday morning) and saw 4 meteors in as many minutes. Tonight should be even better. The winter night sky is always incredible, with Orion overhead and the Pleiades a little to the west and Sirius a little to the east. No moonlight. One slight problem. It's cold at night. Was 16 degrees F when I was out. I was advised to view the southern sky.

Time again for the annual Perseid meteor shower. Peaks night of Aug 12, but night of Aug 11 should be pretty spectacular, too. Crescent moon will set before midnight, allowing for Maximum Darkness, Man

Photo by Randy Clark

18 July 2020, Eastern Sierra, comet Neowise.

Anybody else go outside last night to check out the conjunction of Jupiter and Saturn?

Photo: Bill Hopp

I was a bit disappointed in the news coverage, which claimed the two planets would be close enough together to appear as one giant star. But the celestial light show did not disappoint at all.

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    Anybody else go outside last night to check out the conjunction of Jupiter and Saturn?
    Impressive pic! Been cloudy here all December! Zero hours of clear...
    My Progressive Workshop at http://soundcloud.com/hfxx

Photo: Samuel Kahn. Looking west from White Mountains, California, over the Sierra Nevada.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hFx View Post
    Impressive pic! Been cloudy here all December! Zero hours of clear...
    Yes...sadly where I live it was cloudy at night, with some rain, so no chance for me to see anything.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post

Photo: Samuel Kahn. Looking west from White Mountains, California, over the Sierra Nevada.
    Damn.

I'd swear that was a painting.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    There was mention of this in the media but calling it The Christmas Star was a bit of a stretch. It's been all over Fakebook as well, with people posting enhanced images acting as if that was how it actually looked. I remember a few years ago people were perpetuating stories during Mars' close interval to Earth with fake articles saying that Mars was going to be a third the size of the moon in the night sky. The internet is so full of shit anymore.

Finally a clearing in the clouds tonight! I got a shot with my superzoom. I'll look tomorrow what was caught.
    My Progressive Workshop at http://soundcloud.com/hfxx

The phenomenon that we observed the other day is unique and interesting. The only insult is that unscrupulous manipulators use such phenomena to deceive people. But such deceptions must be exposed and the direct way for this is the study of celestial bodies, the study of the laws of their movement and the calculation of trajectories. And this is possible with the emergence of new players in the space exploration market. I am interested in companies like https://dragonflyaerospace.com/ because they bring in some fresh ideas that have great perspective for humanity.

Set my alarm to get up for the lunar eclipse early this morning (Wed. May 26). News goblins told us totality would be visible from here at 4:18 am. I was out in the yard by 4:05. The moon in the southwestern sky was dark except for a thin crescent of white light at the top. Then the moon started to go down behind the mountains. By 4:15 it had gone down completely. Presumably it was eclipsed totally a few minutes later. But I could no longer see it. Oh, well. Nice starry night with not a cloud in the sky. All it cost me is being tired today. I'll take it.

Yup.....got up 3:30AM.....too cloudy here in the PNW. Oh well......there's always another........
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    Yup.....got up 3:30AM.....too cloudy here in the PNW. Oh well......there's always another........
    No, the PNW isn't the place to observe celestial events.