Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Astronomy Buffs

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    There were no clouds
    Anyone else read this in the voice of Jon Anderson's son, from "Circus of Heaven?"

Thought this was interesting
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Actually, I was hearing Rickie Lee Jones in a new mix of Orb's 'Little Fluffy Clouds'........

So, has anyone spotted Nibiru yet? It's officially Dec. 21 now, and we're in alignment for the Galactic gamma rays.

Quote Originally Posted by helicase View Post
    I'm sure some parts of Nevada look just like Mars
    If Mars really does have water, it would probably look like Pyramid Lake.
    "The mountains are calling and I must go" - John Muir

"To breathe the same air as the angels, you must go to Tahoe" - Mark Twain

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    2013 events for watchers of the skies:

http://www.livescience.com/25865-bes...ents-2013.html
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Perseids time! Peak is this Monday.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...ef=mostpopular
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Thanks. I wanted to find this thread and remind everyone of the perseids, but my search for "astronomy" did not find it. Appreciate that you were able to find it. I didn't want to start a new thread when I knew this one existed. Been watching a little for the past couple weeks on nights when the sky wasn't obscured by clouds. Saw a few. Maybe Monday I can visit the heart of darkness and see a whole lot more.
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

If you want to see something you've never seen before, point your binoculars/scope (possibly naked eye) to Delphinus. A bright nova has been spotted there:
    http://www.skyandtelescope.com/obser...219631281.html

"Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Not sure exactly when it starts - March, sometime? - but Neil DeGrasse-Tyson's Cosmos is coming soon.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

"Stars" are just holes in the Sky, letting the light in from Heaven, which as we all know lies beyond that dark blue Firmament......OR.......God has hands like Edward Scissorhands & keeps poking holes in that dark protective Blanket he placed over our World........OR........stars aren't real Celestial bodies at all they are just specks of light reflected off our Sun......OR.......We only see Light reflected from the Earth when we look at Stars....OR....they are the Souls of the Dead.....OR.........(excuse me, it's time for my Medication.....NURSE!!!!)

"Perhaps they are not stars in the sky, but rather openings where our loved ones shine down to let us know they are happy" Inuit saying

Cosmos II not too far away, March 9th: http://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/spa...and-his-new-tv

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I watched Cosmos with Carl Sagan religiously as a kid.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunnibee View Post
    If Mars really does have water, it would probably look like Pyramid Lake.
    is Mars hollow?

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    is Mars hollow?
    Not anymore.

If you catch yourself looking up at the night sky this evening, you might notice what looks like a bright star with an orange tint. That's actually the planet Mars.
    'The planet is expected to line up with Earth and the Sun. It happens every two years. You should be able to get a good look tonight.'
    Bright orange dot in the sky tonight. That is Mars and it should be 10 times brighter than the brightest star in the sky.'

1st of 4 "Blood Moons" in a year and a half will occur during tonight/early tomorrow's total eclipse-

http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/11/tech/i...html?hpt=hp_c3

(Reuters) - Night owls and early risers in North America will be able to watch a rare celestial show on Tuesday as Earth's shadow falls across the moon, shifting its color from bright orange to blood red to brown, depending on local weather conditions.
    The lunar eclipse will unfold over three hours beginning at 1:58 a.m. EDT when the moon begins moving into Earth's shadow. A little more than an hour later, the moon will be fully eclipsed and shrouded in a red glow.
    The celestial show will be over by 5:33 a.m., according to astronomers at the University of Texas's McDonald Observatory
    Last edited by Obscured; 04-14-2014 at 04:37 PM.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    Cosmos II not too far away, March 9th: http://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/spa...and-his-new-tv
    which raises the question: what is the plural of "cosmos"? "Cosmoses" sounds and looks silly. Cosmes? Cosmi? Cosmosen?

Suspended
    I took this photo a few years ago and was quite proud of it - a rare configuration of the Moon, Venus and Jupiter, looking like a smiley face in the night sky.

00010.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    which raises the question: what is the plural of "cosmos"? "Cosmoses" sounds and looks silly. Cosmes? Cosmi? Cosmosen?
    Well, "cosmos" looks Greek to me, so I would guess "cosmoi".

I checked out the eclipse last night. There were some high clouds, but thin, and not overcast everywhere. The view remained good and the high clouds made a big halo around the eclipsing moon. I stayed up until it was fully eclipsed and red.

I've already watched the first 5 episodes of the new Cosmos, and it is truly WONDERFUL! It's easily a DO-NOT MISS if you yearn for knowledge of who we are, what we are, and what the universe is all about. Best program about Science that I've seen on American TV in many a year. Neil Degrassi-Tyson is a great host, and the show certainly follow's up in Sagan's shoes. WAY -
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

I am sorry, but
    The way your subject is presented you look like an entire and total asshole
    I am sorry again....
    lol

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    You have been talking about stars around here for years, so how about the real kind?

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Announcing Peggy

Lyrid Meteor Showers peak from midnight till dawn. Visible through April 25th. Link below has a live stream too.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_5186204.html

Real clear down here last nite, but no action. Will watch for more tonite. All showers are real unpredictable, but the potential show could be amazing !! (insert 'Watcher of the Skies' pun here)