Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Astronomy Buffs

Quote Originally Posted by tom unbound View Post
    Real clear down here last nite, but no action.
    Boy, I can relate to this.

Wait...what?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I do am really sorry for the stupids words I have posted, following your first post, I do am really sorry for that, again
    Quote Originally Posted by highaltitude View Post
    I am sorry, but
    The way your subject is presented you look like an entire and total asshole
    I am sorry again....
    lol

Is it just me or does it seem like there are more meteor showers than years past!
    http://belair.patch.com/groups/trend...lls-in-the-sky
    Looking forward to seeing this if the skies cooperate later in the week.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

PE Member Since 4/9/2002 NeonKnight's Avatar
    The Galaxy Garden:

Decided I liked the article and photo so much, voila, hello avatar.

the artist Jon Lomberg kneels next to a croton plant, removes the cheap earring that pierces a speckle on one of its leaves, and fastens a new yellow stud into the same hole. This, he says, pointing to the stud, represents the Sun. He is standing 30ft from the middle of the 100-ft-wide Galaxy Garden in the Captain Cook district of western Hawai’i. The highly manicured garden is an accurate scale model of the Milky Way galaxy, where every step takes you 2,000 light years from where you stood before. Here, the speckles on the leaves of ‘gold dust’ crotons stand in for stars. The plants reach out in spiral arms from the garden’s centre, where a spouting fountain plays the part of a monster black hole. Along the spiral limbs crowd hibiscus, vincas and red and black crotons where nebulae, gas and dust belong.
    “Where words fail, music speaks.” - Hans Christian Anderson

Orionid Meteor Shower Tuesday morning, midnight (Oct. 21) till dawn. That's tonight. Little or no moon interference.

No moon, lots of clouds.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Daytime - Clear, cloudless, windy.
    10:30 p.m. - Overcast and raining.
    Midnight - Clear and windy. Almost no clouds. Stayed outside a while. Lots of stars. No meteors.
    6:00 a.m. - Moonrise and false dawn in east. Stayed outside a while. Plenty of stars overhead. No meteors.

Time spent watching the night sky is never wasted, but right now I'd trade it for a good night's sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Astronomy Buffs
    Naked stargazers?
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

^Is there another way?

Annual Perseid meteor shower approaching, peaks Aug 12:

Perseid Meteor Shower 2016: When, Where & How to See It

Geminid Meteor Shower peaks tonight. I went outside last night at 12:30 am (Wednesday morning) and saw 4 meteors in as many minutes. Tonight should be even better. The winter night sky is always incredible, with Orion overhead and the Pleiades a little to the west and Sirius a little to the east. No moonlight. One slight problem. It's cold at night. Was 16 degrees F when I was out. I was advised to view the southern sky.

Time again for the annual Perseid meteor shower. Peaks night of Aug 12, but night of Aug 11 should be pretty spectacular, too. Crescent moon will set before midnight, allowing for Maximum Darkness, Man