Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: NEW Sanguine Hum

Old man of prog

NEW Sanguine Hum

Ok let's get started. My copy from Kinesis should be here tomorrow. I was very impressed with the samples so I'm really looking forward to this. While I enjoyed their previous album I felt they were somewhat reticent to be labelled a Prog band. They seemed to skirt the line almost as if someone told them it was far cooler and renumerative to be an Alternative Rock act. The samples for the new record seem decidedly more Progalicious and I for one and am eager to crack the seal
    Last edited by progmeister; 03-22-2013 at 09:48 AM.

Have my copy on order, cant remember release date though.

Not heard any of the snippets about yet. I try not to. Much rather hear the full album fresh.

Really looking forward to it.

Glad to know of this. Looking forward to hearing it. Thanks for posting!

I look forward to seeing many gushing reviews on this thread over the next few days and weeks.

Monotheistic Supernalist ProgPariah77's Avatar
    Calendared this one when I learned of its impending release. Plan to pull it down from iTunes as soon as it is available. "The Diving Bell" was a very successful project (artistically speaking) IMO.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Liked the last one a lot, will be picking up this one.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

There's another thread on this as well.

Great band, can't wait to get my hands on it. One of my fave current UK "progressive" groups together with Kavus' various projects, Thieves' K. and Combat Astronomy.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Ha! Thank you. It's a lovely album. Much less immediate than the first one. I haven't heard it enough to make any really intelligent comments, but it is starting to 'reveal its shape' after a few plays. I think it it has expanded further out in all directions, musically, from Diving Bell. It seems richer and more measured, which is a funny thing to say as Diving Bell is both rich and measured.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    There's another thread on this as well.

Great band, can't wait to get my hands on it. One of my fave current UK "progressive" groups together with Kavus' various projects, Thieves' K. and Combat Astronomy.
    Don't forget Guapo
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Im obviously very biased--we think its totally fantastic! (and I mean that) Several tracks are quite commercial too-and I dont often say that in Prog
    one of the tracks will be on Freak Zone this Sunday.(not the most commercial one) and one track was featured on the Freakier Zone 2 weeks ago. Stuart Maconie really liked the album.

There is rock , jazzy overtones and ambient styles too . Im very interested to see what people think.

- https://soundcloud.com/cherry-red-es...ground/s-5aSKh

Here you go guys-- opening track. Dont listen if you have a copy on the way and dont want to hear it till you put that disc on.

Old man of prog
    Just got mine and listening to the first song now! Nice work Esoteric. You already have one lodged firmly in my Top 10 of 2013 with Lifesigns. Keep up the stellar work.

[QUOTE=progmeister;72843] They seemed to skirt the line almost as if someone told them it was far cooler and renumerative to be an Alternative Rock act.

Well thats how Porcupine Tree and Muse maybe played it and for them it worked.
    "Prog" whilst not the kiss of death!! certainly has its work cut out if you want to get anything played or written about with the "non prog" press. Sanguine Hum are most definitely prog (and the guys love their prog too) but i do personally think they have the potential for some crossover appeal outside of just the "prog" clique.

Old man of prog
    "Prog" whilst not the kiss of death!! certainly has its work cut out if you want to get anything played or written about with the "non prog" press. Sanguine Hum are most definitely prog (and the guys love their prog too) but i do personally think they have the potential for some crossover appeal outside of just the "prog" clique.[/QUOTE]

I don't think Muse has ever been perceived by 96% of their fan base as anything to do with Prog. Only us prognauts know the secret. As for PT, their base obviously got bigger when they went "heavy" but ultimately their new consumer figured it was fake and sales subsequently diminished. That's why I applaud SW's new direction and think ultimately this will be even more successful for him in the long run. It's real. Actually, if you want to make Sanguine Hum cross Vicky you could always have them do a viral video of "Harlem Shake"

I love the first album, and they were killer last year at Rosfest. Hence, autobuy.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

I like what I am hearing. As usual for this band, very nice. Drumming sounds really good. Looking forward to buying a DL version (FLAC, please )

Quote Originally Posted by progmeister View Post
    "Prog" whilst not the kiss of death!! certainly has its work cut out if you want to get anything played or written about with the "non prog" press. Sanguine Hum are most definitely prog (and the guys love their prog too) but i do personally think they have the potential for some crossover appeal outside of just the "prog" clique.
    I don't think Muse has ever been perceived by 96% of their fan base as anything to do with Prog. Only us prognauts know the secret. As for PT, their base obviously got bigger when they went "heavy" but ultimately their new consumer figured it was fake and sales subsequently diminished. That's why I applaud SW's new direction and think ultimately this will be even more successful for him in the long run. It's real. Actually, if you want to make Sanguine Hum cross Vicky you could always have them do a viral video of "Harlem Shake"[/QUOTE]

Now thats the kind of crossover we can do without!

Thanks progmeister for starting this thread!

The Weight of the World is out today And with perfect timing Stuart Maconie played a track last night on Freakzone on BBC 6 music and said he'd been really enjoying the album, which was great to hear! Here's the link, which I guess will be UK only: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0072l4x

Hope everyone enjoys the album!!

Matt.

My copy arrived on Saturday. Very smart looking package too!

Fabulous!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Don't forget Guapo
    Last time I checked, Kavus was in there as well!

And I agree perfectly on everything written about SW/PT a few posts above; his solo works come across as genuinely organic, bold, daring and "experimental", as where the wannabe-corporate "mega-prog" of PT didn't work out at all. Some may beg to differ, but that's my position.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Received it last week, and really love what the guys have done here. I played a track (System For Solution) on my show last Sunday. You can listen to a lo-res podcast here: https://soundcloud.com/symfozone/sym...521-24-03-2013
    SymfoZone progressive rock radio show: www.symfozone.com

This is like well good. (Top work again Sanguine Hum, love those Tortoisey bits, class!)

Quote Originally Posted by Troopers For Sound View Post
    The Weight of the World is out today And with perfect timing Stuart Maconie played a track last night on Freakzone on BBC 6 music and said he'd been really enjoying the album, which was great to hear! Here's the link, which I guess will be UK only: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0072l4x

Hope everyone enjoys the album!!

Matt.
    Stuart also played a track on the Freakier Zone a couple of weeks ago and on the strength of that I pre-ordered the album (I have to admit that I hadn't heard of you before that). Anyway, I received it today and what I have heard so far sounds great.

Thanks everyone! It seems to be getting a great response so far...and we know this one is a bit of a "grower" from what people have said, so it's lovely that the first impressions are good

Matt.

Two full spins from me so far and I'm loving it. It's been a good year so far with Lifesigns and The Raven also in my fave list.