Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Phideaux - Infernal

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    The track listing's been there since 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    The track listing's been there since 2013.
    ...As has this thread. The album was first announced in spring 2013 with a cover and a tracklist.

However according to violin player Ariel Farber, 2018 could finally see the release of Infernal.
    http://www.popmatters.com/2018-progr...524218211.html

With that being said, the album was supposed to be at the mastering stage in 2017 so you never know. This is becoming the Chinese Democracy of Prog 😂

One would hope Phideaux has been able to parlay the expectation of the album into a deal with InsideOut (assuming they make good deals). Of course, it'd probably have to be a one-album deal, but still, you'd think some good things could dome from this release. Of course, since he has so little time for it, maybe that wasn't at all something he wanted to do.

I'm aware that Phideaux is highly praised in the Prog scene, I just do not get why?

I have one of his albums "Doomsday Afternoon" (or something close). The only purpose it has for me, is if I have ever problems to fall asleep
    I play this album (or Salem Hill "Robbery of Murder"). I never get past the second track on these albums, I'm always so bored to death that I
    fall unconsciousness latest on the start of the third track.

So why is he regarded so highly here?

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    I'm aware that Phideaux is highly praised in the Prog scene, I just do not get why?

I have one of his albums "Doomsday Afternoon" (or something close). The only purpose it has for me, is if I have ever problems to fall asleep
    I play this album (or Salem Hill "Robbery of Murder"). I never get past the second track on these albums, I'm always so bored to death that I

Wow, thats harsh. I love Doomsday Afternoon. Go back and listen to Crumble (the second version with the vocals). Its a beautiful piece of music.

Doomsday Afternoon would be a Top 10 CD of the new millennium for me.

I was hoping the update would be a release date for Infernal.

I'm delighted to read from Ariel Farber that confirms, finally, that Infernal will be out this year. Too bad PX and his fine band are so obscure and underrated. Little marketing and long periods of time between albums may be one of the reasons, and also members of the band living in different areas of the country which makes it more difficult to meet for recording sessions. But it's a big plus that the album is finally done, and I'm confident that the long wait won't disappoint. Phideaux's return will be a welcome return for the prog fans who appreciate the fine talent.
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post

At least from Doomsday Afternoon on, Phideaux's albums have represented a type of Progressive Rock that maintains a certain level of intricacy without getting lost up it's own ass. It's influenced by 70s Prog-Rock while aping none of them. They have a mix of great melodic instrumental passages and excellent vocals. The use of male and female vocals aids sonic variety and broadens possibilities for storytelling. The music has passion and intelligence, and thus reaches the listeners' hearts and minds. Likewise, the music has both power and beauty, and all of these factors add up to music of substance that is meaty enough to succeed on a number of different levels.
    I think most fans might come up with some variation on the above if asked the question you asked. I would see them live if you get the chance, it might click at that point. Then again, they might not be for you, as I rate Doomsday Afternoon their best album, and would give it an 8.5 or 9.0 out of 10.

Wow, listened to just about 25 minutes in the car tonight - this sounds excellent! I need to spend some serious time with it I think. The lead male vocal, which I'm guessing is Xavier, reminds me of someone else and I can't pinpoint who, but on further listens I think it'll come to me.
    Last edited by JKL2000; 11-17-2018 at 08:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Wow, listened to just about 25 minutes in the car tonight - this sounds excellent! I need to spend some serious time with it I think. The lead male vocal, which I'm guessing are Xavier, remind me of someone else and I can't pinpoint who, but on further listens I think it'll come to me.
    It is a great couple of CDs.

To me, sometimes Xavier sounds like Ian Anderson. That may not be who you were thinking of, so if it does come to you let me know. I'm curious.

I've been revisiting this one this past few days: it keeps getting better.
    I don't know how long it's been there but I just noticed that Phideaux wrote a few insightful comments for each track on Bandcamp. Here they are if anyone's interested:

01. Cast Out And Cold
    This states the Infernal theme. The first chords are slowed version of "I can guarantee our survival if you're there with me". Many of the lyrics and musical ideas are seeded throughout the album. This song forms the first part of a suite that contains all of Side Three as well as the penultimate song, "Eternal". (This song foreshadows the melodies to "The Sleepers Wake" and "In Dissonance We Play".

02. The Error Lives On
    A bit of a callback, lyrically, to Doomsday Afternoon. This track also takes the Doomsday Afternoon theme from "Micro Softdeathstar" and inverts it going "up" instead of "down". This correlates to the "Blown up station" image in the album art.

03. Crumble
    Verse Three of the song... Each version of the song Crumble has become smaller, more intimate and has essentially crumbled away...

04. Inquisitor
    The opening introduction to this song was something we were playing live as an introduction to the song "Thank You For The Evil" and so this song was written as a sequel to that track - except rooted in piano vs. guitar.

05. We Only Have Eyes For You
    Pink and Yellow - Stars and Triangles - Us and Them. It's coming much closer.

06. Sourdome
    Dormice can get into the craziest places... Who knew the dormouse would make it into the dome? ("Sourdome" is the anagram of "dormouse" and this track is based on the chords to the "Dormouse" theme from "Number Seven").

07. The Walker
    "The Walker" is a sequel to "Abducted" from The Great Leap, based on an elongated version of the chorus chords that Mathew Kennedy suggested when were playing Abducted live. I took a bit of beethoven's 9th symphony for the singing part. This song was once 7½ minutes long, but we cut a great chunk of it in order to streamline. That chunk will eventually form another song called "Go To Him".

08. Wake The Sleeper
    A brief prelude to "The Sleepers Wake". This is the last track recorded for the album after I discovered a similar sounding demo and liked the idea of a "dark" version to contrast the lightness of "The Sleepers Wake".

09. C99
    From the album 313 comes inspiration for "c99", a revision of "Coda 99" and an opportunity for some guitar and rhythm section shenanigans. The other link to 313 is on Doomsday Afternoon when "Microdeath Softstar" quotes "Never Gonna Go Away". In some ways 313 is a precursor to The Great Leap. "Watching Machine" in particular would fit well within the surveillance state of The Doom Trilogy.

10. Tumbleweed
    Another version of Crumble, disguised of course and with several chords inverted.

11. The Order Of Protection (One)
    Side Three ("The Order Of Protection"), along with "Cast Out And Cold" and "Eternal" form a song suite that was the first thing written for Infernal in 2007 immediately after Doomsday Afternoon. It took some years for me to figure out the lyrics and put it into shape, but the structure was there. Once, it might have formed a 25 minute single suite.

12. Metro Deathfire
    The prelude to "Eternal" (with much of the same musical structure and lyrics) - perhaps a sinister invitation.

13. Transit
    instrumental transition, replays the theme from "Tumbleweed" end build up.

14. In Dissonance We Play
    This song is a reprise and answer to "Cast Out And Cold" reviving many of that song's elements in skewed expression. Johnny Unicorn's voice is prominent giving the song a bit more "Ziz" and "Zazzle".

15. The Sleepers Wake
    Notice a bit of "Candybrain" from Doomsday Afternoon in the middle of this one. When we played "Candybrain" live we added a big rave up in the middle, which I added to this song. Of course, these two songs are linked in subject matter and so that only seemed natural.

16. The Order Of Protection (Two)
    Absurd guitar excess of the highest order adorns this track. The end of Side Three...

17. From Hydrogen To Love
    Here is the big song of the album, by which we mean the longest one. There's a lot to digest and it's possibly two or three songs. Callbacks to "Microdeath Softstar" from Doomsday Afternoon, as well as the "I'm only dreaming" lyric from "The Doctrine Of Eternal Ice (Two). Check out how these words differ from those.

18. Eternal
    The conclusion to the original Infernal Suite. Add this to "Cast Out And Cold" and Side Three ("The Order Of Protection") and you get the original seed from which this album grew.

19. Endgame – An End
    This reprise of "The Error Lives On". Molly thinks it sounds like a broken car alarm, but I like the unceasing pulse of that single note at the last bit. This was a bit of an accident, but it made sense - and especially as an ending to the whole thing. The error lives on indeed!
    Not just a Genesis fanboy.

Phideaux now has all his albums on Bandcamp for Name Your Price (https://phideaux.bandcamp.com/)
    So if you missed anything important like last Infernal release or some older goodie - you know what to do.
    Anyway I'd prefer to put in at least some value as a "thank you" to one of my favorite prog acts.
    "The world will soon be right again,
    Innocence and undying love will reign."
    - Transatlantic

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Azol View Post
    Phideaux now has all his albums on Bandcamp for Name Your Price (https://phideaux.bandcamp.com/)
    So if you missed anything important like last Infernal release or some older goodie - you know what to do.
    Anyway I'd prefer to put in at least some value as a "thank you" to one of my favorite prog acts.
    Thanks! I need to fill a lot of gaps.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Here is the link to the Bandcamp link:
    https://phideaux.bandcamp.com/

For those new to Phideaux I'd recommend two albums as a starter. The excellent Snowtourch and the Phideaux/Mogon promo album which contains a stunning live version of the epic Chupacabras, which IMO is far superior to the studio version. Anyone loving eclectic and symphonic prog should give Mr. Xavier and his band a try. IMO one of America's leading prog bands.

OOPS! I didn't notice that the BC link was already posted.
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

I liked the earlier guitar based Phideaux style. Doomsday Afternoon was still a good album but I was underwhelmed by nr7 and Snowtorch. For me it turned into a more 'standard' symph style which I found less interesting. I have not heared Infernal yet but I probably will grab it at one of the bc artist support sales.

Ghost story is the one I like best. A nice dark mix of alternative rock and prog.

Doomsday Afternoon is an all time great album in my opinion. Incredible songwriting. And Infernal is one of the best of the 2010s. I don’t care for any of the band’s other albums though.

Any word from Xavier about possible completed trilogy reissue (remastering the first two parts) as CD boxset? Especially Doomsday Afternoon CD is impossible to find. I remember Xavier hinting at DA remastering at least, will be great to get my hands on physical product.

Weird. It looks like Phideaux deactivated his Facebook page. I hadn't seen a post from him in quite a while. Hope everything is OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Rael View Post
    Weird. It looks like Phideaux deactivated his Facebook page. I hadn't seen a post from him in quite a while. Hope everything is OK.
    I'm pretty sure everything is OK. Xavier periodically shuts down his Facebook site. He's a busy man. He yearly directs 30~ episodes of General Hospital. Quite the renaissance man.