Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rage Against The Machine Vs. Audioslave

Banned

Rage Against The Machine Vs. Audioslave

I was at Barnes & Noble earlier, and got one CD by each group. I got the 20th anniversary reissue of the first Rage Against The Machine CD, as well as Audioslave's self-titled debut. Since both bands have the same instrumentalists, but different vocalists, I just wanted to get some opinions on which band was better. I don't like rap much, but I like the fact that Zack De La Rocha raps. His rhymes are lethal. However, Audioslave does have that cool Storm Thorgerson cover. Which band is better? Does anyone like both bands?

The first Rage CD is brilliant and a borderline desert island disc for me. Tommy Morello's riffing is just so brutal on it (that's a good thing). I don't like the second CD as much and can't stand the third. Audioslave is more straight-ahead music of its time and is replaceable with any other band of it's era.
    "The woods would be very silent if the only birds that sang were those who sang best..." - Henry David Thoreau

I love Rage's grooves, but I've never made it 10 minutes before the whiny middle class white-kid rap bitchfest kills it for me. It all reminds me of Fight For Your Right To Party stretched out to album length only screaming about how capitalism sucks while they make millions of $$$. Haven't tried Audioslave.

I like em both, but I'll give the edge to Rage. Both bands made their best statement with their first album, subsequent releases had moments but were definitely weaker than the first.

RATM's debut is still one of my top 20 90's album...
    Never cared for Ausioslave
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I like RATM, though a whole album is like getting bludgeoned with a sledgehammer. But I think I'd actually take Audioslave over RATM....I'm a Cornell fan, and I think Morello's playing has so much groove. Oh, and the production (esp. the drum sound) on Audioslave is jaw-dropping.

only screaming about how capitalism sucks while they make millions of $$$.

Great band and the liberal and sociologist in me likes the lyrics to a degree but the hypocritical nature of it all(like you said saying how capitalism and corporations suck while being part of a corporate label and making lots of dough)sort of ruins it for me.

No contest for me....Audioslave all the way. Never got much into Rage.

Steve Sly

i had a bunch of RATM back when they came out and decided the guitar player was totally killer. the white boy rapping was no big deal to me but they did so me pretty lethal grooves.
    have never realliy got into Audioslave outside of their one song they played a lot back in the day.
    Last edited by yogibear; 03-24-2013 at 03:52 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by yogibear View Post
    i had a bunch of RATM back when came out and decided the guitar player was totally killer. the white boy rapping was no big deal to me but they did so me pretty lethal grooves.
    have never realliy got into Audioslave outside of their one song they played a lot back in the day.
    What Audioslave song was played a lot back in the day? Cochise? Like A Stone?

I liked the Rage Against The Machine debut when it came out. Didn't stand the test of time though and I ended up selling it in the end 90s... Probably because it was so overplayed in the local clubs & bars -even the most mainstream ones- that ended up giving on my nerves. Never cared for Audioslave.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    What Audioslave song was played a lot back in the day? Cochise? Like A Stone?
    don't remember exactly but when they came out they had a video they sort of played alot.

If those Rage albums could be released without the vocals, I bet I'd like them. Morello is quite a guitarist. But the incredibly annoying rapping is too much to take, I just wanted to smack the guy every time I heard him. The ultra left wing lyrics don't help any for me. Audioslave were ok, I'd say I was a little disappointed in them considering the talent present. I love Chris Cornell's voice, it should have been a match made in heaven, but never reached that level.

Both are textbook examples of why 90s music sucked.

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"'Thin Thighs For Your Man.' But I don't *like* men with thin thighs" --Daria

N.P.:nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    I like a lot of 90's music actually. Plus its the decade prog came out of hiding. I own a ton of great 90's releases.

Banned

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"'Thin Thighs For Your Man.' But I don't *like* men with thin thighs" --Daria

N.P.:nothing
    Audioslave is not a '90s band. Nice try, though.

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    I liked the Rage Against The Machine debut when it came out. Didn't stand the test of time though and I ended up selling it in the end 90s... Probably because it was so overplayed in the local clubs & bars -even the most mainstream ones- that ended up giving on my nerves. Never cared for Audioslave.
    I still like it... It's one of those high energy albums that epitomizes the early 90's, along with some of these Seattle bands and RHCP. I recently borrowed from the library the 20th Anniv reissue and its quite enjoyable... the album is hardly perfect and runs out of steam fter the 2/3 mark, but otherwise it's a 90's classic

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks2009 View Post
    If those Rage albums could be released without the vocals, I bet I'd like them. Morello is quite a guitarist. But the incredibly annoying rapping is too much to take, I just wanted to smack the guy every time I heard him. The ultra left wing lyrics don't help any for me. .
    Actually I like the vocals and the left-wing lyrics are fully part of the charm of the album

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks2009 View Post
    I like a lot of 90's music actually. Plus its the decade prog came out of hiding. I own a ton of great 90's releases.
    Yeah, I enjoyed a lot more the 90's than the 80's... In general I think the decade is quite an improvement with Grunge, Trip Hop and Post ock as worthy genres being born...

Hwever I find there are less hidden gems in the 90's (where I was indeed curious about a lot of things) than that there were in the 80's (where I simply didn't search them >> I was discovering jazz at the time)

Aidioslave a 90's band?? not to my knowledge...
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I want to like this band in my quest to build up my collection of '90s rock, but like others I just find the rapping irritating. Pass.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Actually I like the vocals and the left-wing lyrics are fully part of the charm of the album
    Yeah, I enjoyed a lot more the 90's than the 80's... In general I think the decade is quite an improvement with Grunge, Trip Hop and Post ock as worthy genres being born...
    Hmmm, a right winger like myself just can't find any charm there. I own a lot of music with lyrics I don't particularly agree with, but Rage were far too over the top left wing. But it was the rapping that was the bigger problem, I just couldn't stand the sound of the guy's voice, and I find rapping in gereneral to be horribly grating to my ears. I can take small does if it's not the main vocal style -like the bits in Faith No More or the Chili Peppers, thats about it.

As to the 90's scene, I liked some of the grunge stuff and bands like Korn, Incubus and heavy bands like Pantera. And of course lots of the prog and prog-metal that came out of that decade. Trip-hop? Post rock? No thanks.

RATH!.
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    I just wanted to get some opinions on which band was better. I don't like rap much, but I like the fact that Zack De La Rocha raps. His rhymes are lethal. However, Audioslave does have that cool Storm Thorgerson cover. Which band is better? Does anyone like both bands?
    i remember back in the day when Rage hit they seemed like such a big deal, now when i hear them it just sound goofy to me, one of those bands that didn't age very well (like Jane's Addiction).

Audiowho?? oh yeah, that 'supergroup' deal with Chris Cornell, well i'd say just stick with Badmotorfinger (that one did hold up well).

I'm more of a Rage guy. As far as the rapping about capitalism sucking while they make lots of money goes, are they supposed to turn down making a good living from their art? They had an enormous amount of success early on, before they were rolling in dough. What if they'd changed what their musical subjects were about after that initial success? Then people would scream "Sellout!" at them. It's not like you change your core principles when you make some money. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. They've done a good amount of charity and benefit work. I guess I don't see those two things as incompatible -- otherwise there would be no rich liberals.
    Progtopia is a podcast devoted to interviewing progressive rock, metal, and electronic artists from the past and present, featuring their songs and exclusive interviews. Artists interviewed on the show have included Steve Hackett, Sound of Contact, Larry Fast, Circus Maximus, Anubis Gate, Spock's Beard, and many more. http://progtopia.podomatic.com See you in a land called Progtopia!

Quote Originally Posted by Progtopia View Post
    They've done a good amount of charity and benefit work. I guess I don't see those two things as incompatible -- otherwise there would be no rich liberals.
    There are plenty of "limosine liberals" out there, living the high life but telling the rest of us not to. Bono comes to mind. Al Gore too, with all his mansions he has to heat or power. As to charity and benfit work, its hardly just a liberal thing. I know, too much politics, I'll behave now.

^^^ No argument there, and I'm not trying to start one. I guess I just figure it's hard enough to make a living as an artist. If someone's going to pay you, might as well take it but put it to as good of a use as you can. Hopefully RATM has done that. I'm only a casual fan so I wouldn't know the details.
    Progtopia is a podcast devoted to interviewing progressive rock, metal, and electronic artists from the past and present, featuring their songs and exclusive interviews. Artists interviewed on the show have included Steve Hackett, Sound of Contact, Larry Fast, Circus Maximus, Anubis Gate, Spock's Beard, and many more. http://progtopia.podomatic.com See you in a land called Progtopia!

Quote Originally Posted by Progtopia View Post
    ^^^ No argument there, and I'm not trying to start one. I guess I just figure it's hard enough to make a living as an artist. If someone's going to pay you, might as well take it but put it to as good of a use as you can. Hopefully RATM has done that. I'm only a casual fan so I wouldn't know the details.
    Honestly, I think a band like Rage has every right to voice their opinions on capitalism no matter how much money they make. Of course I kind of doubt their intention was anything but to hit it big, the dream of anyone forming a rock band.