Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Most underrated Tull track and album?

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    This Was - the whole album. Not a lot of talk about that album. I only heard it for the first time about 2 years ago. Wonderful, wonderful album.
    Yeaaaaaahhh!!!... I love that album (it's in my top 5, behind TAAB, SU and Aqualung... and tied with LTIA)... especially Serenade For A Cuckoo, which gets my track vote

Quote Originally Posted by Oreb View Post
    Roots and Branches - a JT classic IMO.
    Maybe as my top 6th
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Homburg View Post
    My vote:

track: King Henry's Madrigal
    album: War Child
    Are you sure? Not from Stormwatch sessions?

March The Mad Scientist - from War Child sessions, issued as a bonus track on MITG CD.

Rock Island/ The Whaler's Dues
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Album - War Child

Song - too many!
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire

Quote Originally Posted by gregory View Post
    I meant King Henry's Madrigal is my choice of most underrated track, and War Child the most underrated album; not that the former is a track on the latter.

Too many tracks from both Under Wraps and A.

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by rickmoraz View Post
    Too many tracks from both Under Wraps and A.

Ed
    For starters, "European Legacy" is a GREAT song. Hoarse vocal and digital drums, but still classic model Tull.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gregory View Post
    The thread is Underrated track and album. No stipulation that the designated track has to be from the designated album.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    BTW, my vote is for "Crazed Institution".

Most underrated album? Again, hard to say. I think Benefit gets overlooked sometimes, being that it is such a transitional album between the very early stuff and the "Aqualung and beyond" period. That would probably get my vote, although I also agree with Oreb's submission of Roots To Branches, which I think has some lovely material on it.
    Crazed Institution is a fine choice for most "underrated"!
    Since you mentioned the Benefit & Roots To Branches albums, i'll choose "Nothing To Say" as my *most underrated Tull track*. Here's why: I don't think Nothing To Say was ever performed live during the 1970s/1980s? (If it was i wasn't aware of it.) The ONLY live version i'm aware of Nothing To Say was on the very first show of the Roots To Branches tour in 1995 in Carlisle, England; where it was subsequently dropped after that first show for the rest of the tour (and beyond?)! Ian even gave a nice little intro that night saying that it was one of Martin's favorite songs (underrated indeed, just like Martin himself), but that he didn't like singing it/had trouble singing it.
    "Wouldn't it be odd, if there really was a God, and he looked down on Earth and saw what we've done to her?" -- Adrian Belew ('Men In Helicopters')

Boy, I don't know. I do remember being shocked at how good Roots to Brances was (and is!) after the horrible Catfish Rising (IMHO!). Most people on this board, though seem to rate it well so I don't think it's underrated. I'd have to say Too Old To Rock and Roll is the most underrated album. It's really a nice album!

Since it baffles me that most folks seem to prefer TAAB over Passion Play, I'll say Passiion Play is the most underratted track! I know that's kind of cheating, since it's all one track, right? To me, there is much more musical flesh on Passion Play than on the rather sparse themes that get over used on TAAB.

I do think that in a very real sense, This Was is underrated. Certainly around here, pretty much all Tull gets its due and TW is probably the album that is most overlooked that would really be enjoyed by fans. It's that way for me- I ignored it for years because it was just that early blues album they did with that other guy, and although I would never rank it with all that followed it is very enjoyable.

Benefit gets overlooked sometimes

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Yep. Another that's hardly ever talked about.
    My all time favorite Tull album. "For Michael Collins, Jeffrey and Me" slays me all the time.
    Be a loyal plastic robot for a world that doesn't care... Frank Zappa

The thing I like most about This Was is that despite the band being so green, they had a terrific energy, and the album showed such promise for what was very quickly to come! I think of all the big classic prog bands, Tull's debut is my favourite.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    The thing I like most about This Was is that despite the band being so green, they had a terrific energy, and the album showed such promise for what was very quickly to come! I think of all the big classic prog bands, Tull's debut is my favourite.
    I think I give the edge to Court (though I haven't heard Yes's debut), but I agree with everything else here. Just a young band full of such musicianship...

Like others, I'd agree with Benefit as their most underrated album. There are several songs on Crest of a Knave that I find brilliant and never talked about like The Waking Edge and She Said She Was a Dancer, to name a few.

Rick

I'm comfortable with agreeing that the entire discography is underrated. Who's with me?

I don't think there's a classic-rock radio listener in America who could call AQUALUNG underrrated!
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire

I'M WITH YOU!

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Stormwatch has a lot of classic Tull elements.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    Like others, I'd agree with Benefit as their most underrated album. k
    I have trouble seeing Benefit as underrated- it's my 4th favorite behind APP, TaaB and MitG. I know people here tend to rate it highly but for the casual Tull fan, yeah, it might be underrated...

North Sea Oil (Stormwatch)

Heavy Horses

LP: This Was
    track: Love Story
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

War Child certainly was not underrated with a Skating Away, and Bungle in the Jungle getting much airplay here in the US, Stormwatch by comparison was indeed underrated, my choice for overlooked song is Elegy from Stormwatch, and Dun Ringill.

Album: Too Old to Rock And Roll...
    Song: Checkered Flag (Dead or Alive)