Thread: Quill

Quill

Picked up the self titled release from this band recently, not really knowing much about them but seeing them mentioned from time to time when the topic of late '60s psychedelic/prog/hard rock bands come up. I've heard that they also played at Woodstock.

Interesting band-not sure how to even explain their music, as it's kind of all over the place, but in a good way. Anyone have more info on them other than the basic stuff that's on their WIki page?

I used to have this on a worn out secondhand-bought vinyl; somewhat along the lines of Sugarloaf or Ram, but not as good as the latter. There was also a later, more squarely "symphonic rock" trio called Quill who released a rather ELP'ish album whose title escapes me at the moment.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    There was also a later, more squarely "symphonic rock" trio called Quill who released a rather ELP'ish album whose title escapes me at the moment.
    Sursum Corda

I saw Quill in Providence in early '69 before they played Woodstock. They were killer live, though I thought the LP was a let down after seeing such a great live performance. Their drummer, Roger North, played a kit he devised with curved horns facing the audience. He marketed them as North Drums. I don't think North is in business any more.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by A. Scherze View Post
    Sursum Corda
    That's the one. But I think the band in question was actually referred to as The Quill, whilst the "prog" one was only Quill.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM