Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FEATURED CD: Porcupine Tree - Signify

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer's ghost View Post
    Anyway, I really ought to give PT's first three albums a spin, since I've been listening to Signify nearly as much (if not more) than anything else I own. Come to think of it, I own every PT studio release with the exception of Up the Downstair (including a disc of early demo material titled On the Sunday of Life).
    Others may disagree, but I wouldn't consider the early PT cassettes to be demos. They sound like demos due to their relatively primitive quality, which is why SW went back and cleaned up or re-recorded tracks for On the Sunday of Life.

But if you like Signify do yourself a big favor and get Up the Downstair. The recent reissue sounds awesome (including re-recorded drums by Gavin Harrison.)

Banned
    Originally Posted by strawberrybrick
    Musically PT has travelled through a few different phases, and it's no wonder that there's some polarization among fans.

Yep, similar to Marillion that way but even more so with PT.

I'd like to think, perhaps unrealistically, that I'm not the only PE member who has a deep appreciation for the early ambient, atmospheric PT as well as the grittier, harder-edged PT of latter years.
    In addition, in one of my first posts on PE some time ago, I went on the record as a fan of both the neo-prog of 80's Marillion and the band they (seemingly) became on 1994's Brave.

Anyway, I really ought to give PT's first three albums a spin, since I've been listening to Signify nearly as much (if not more) than anything else I own. Come to think of it, I own every PT studio release with the exception of Up the Downstair (including a disc of early demo material titled On the Sunday of Life).
    I only have Signify from the "ambient" period, and all of the ones from the latter period(except Deadwing). Even though I don't listen to Signify much, I agree with what you say. Btw, your dad must be proud.

I'd like to think, perhaps unrealistically, that I'm not the only PE member who has a deep appreciation for the early ambient, atmospheric PT as well as the grittier, harder-edged PT of latter years.
    No, I'm one of them, too. Still have a few gaps in the collection, but this was my first PT album and one I return to in addition to Deadwing, Fear, etc. They headlined a festival in Baltimore I attended in (I want to say) '97, which was also fairly small compared to their later career. They couldn't use their recorded sound effects because they'd left the DAT in a deck back home, but Wilson got some self-deprecating humor out of it.
    Progtopia is a podcast devoted to interviewing progressive rock, metal, and electronic artists from the past and present, featuring their songs and exclusive interviews. Artists interviewed on the show have included Steve Hackett, Sound of Contact, Larry Fast, Circus Maximus, Anubis Gate, Spock's Beard, and many more. http://progtopia.podomatic.com See you in a land called Progtopia!

Quote Originally Posted by Progtopia View Post
    They headlined a festival in Baltimore I attended in (I want to say) '97, which was also fairly small compared to their later career.
    This one?

Has to be it, yep. So it was '96. I have viewing material. Thanks, Paulrus!
    Progtopia is a podcast devoted to interviewing progressive rock, metal, and electronic artists from the past and present, featuring their songs and exclusive interviews. Artists interviewed on the show have included Steve Hackett, Sound of Contact, Larry Fast, Circus Maximus, Anubis Gate, Spock's Beard, and many more. http://progtopia.podomatic.com See you in a land called Progtopia!

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    I kept In Absentia, the other two I got rid of.

Maybe you only listen to pure prog rock? I'd even be willing to say that they aren't true prog(whatever that means)
    No, this isn't exactly it. But I only listen to stuff that I find at least mildly interesting, and to me - personally/subjectively - Stupid Dream and Lightbulb Sun didn't qualify. I don't think much of In Absentia either, but hey - I didn't need those 2 quid that badly.

And there's no "true prog".

Porcupine Tree 1988-97 was more or less a constantly developing artistic and musical endeavour, from there on they were one of confirmation. I fell out of line, but that's just me.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Porcupine Tree 1988-97 was more or less a constantly developing artistic and musical endeavour, from there on they were one of confirmation. I fell out of line, but that's just me.
    Interesting. I feel like from Stupid Dream until Blank Planet, they were still evolving and developing, albeit in a new direction. Wilson has interest in today's music as well and that began to show in his writing. I like the full body of their work for the most part, but think that it's their later work that made them an influential band and identity. When someone says "sounds like Porcupine Tree", they're usually referencing their mid period work.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Progtopia View Post
    Has to be it, yep. So it was '96. I have viewing material. Thanks, Paulrus!
    Yeah, thanks for digging up that video!

Quote Originally Posted by VickiLynn View Post
    Yeah, thanks for digging up that video!
    My pleasure. Pretty much blew me away when I first saw it cuz I thought the earliest video of them in the US was from Progfest in 1999 (which I incorrectly thought was their first US appearance). Imagine my surprise and delight to discover that video! SW with long hair and no glasses -- and wearing shoes!

I think I came on board with Stupid Dream and then backtracked down the catalog and then followed them onward. The last two were disappointing, I've been finding more solace in Wilson's solo stuff. But it is an impressive body of work for a band. As far as Signify goes, I had kind of lost track of this one but upon renewed listening it was like an old friend. Those first three songs are as strong of an opening as anything in the prog pantheon. And of course the closing piece is still one of my favorite PT songs.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart