Thread: AAJ Review: Iva Bittovą, Iva Bittovą

AAJ Review: Iva Bittovą, Iva Bittovą

My review of violinist/singer Iva Bittovą's self-titled debut on ECM, today at All About Jazz.

Bittovą's first appearance on the label was with Vladimķr Godįr's Mater, but it turns out that, on this solo debut as a leader, she's a real storyteller, with music - improvised and composed - running the gamut from traditional folk music of her native Moravia to classical, and beyond...sounding like all of these things and none of them. Enigmatic? Perhaps, but a lovely, intimate and very, very personal debut.

Review here.

Iva Bittova is another musician(quite a few in this category) i've read much praise for, here on PE and elsewhere,but i haven't yet checked out her music.This cd seems promising.Any other cds by Iva Bittova that are outstanding and showcase her art?.Thanks.
    Last edited by walt; 03-19-2013 at 06:58 AM.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    Iva Bittova is another musician(quite a few in this category) i've read much praise for, here on PE and elsewhere,but i haven't yet checked out her music.This cd seems promising.Any other cds by Iva Bittova that are outstanding and showcase her art?.Thanks.
    This is her first under her own name, I believe, but the classic one I cite, Mater, is also quite wonderful (also on ECM).

My votes for best starting points with the wonderful Iva: Pustit Musis (1995) with Dunaj & (Pavel) Fajt, post-punkish yet "progressive" songwriting and performance of extremely high calibre; Bile Inferno (1997), lighter orchestrations of some of her most poetic works; Elida (2005) with Bang on a Can, somewhat heavier orchestrations - although she masters this environment as well.

Can't wait to hear this new one; thx for the review, John!
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Iva Bittova is hit and miss for me...all her work is artistically great but she tends to go, on some of the albums, to musical styles that do not resonate with me

For instance IMHO:

The following are top notch albums:

Bittova, Iva / Vaclavek, Vladimir Bile Inferno
    Bittova & Fajt Bittova & Fajt
    Bittova, Iva Solo
    Bittova, Iva Divna Slecinka (aka Iva Bittova)

OK albums:
    Bittova Dunaj Fajt Pustit Musis
    Bittova, Iva Cikori
    Bittova, Iva Ne Nehledej

I can live without albums:
    Bittova, Iva Classic
    Bittova, Iva & Dorothea Kellerova Bela Bartok - 44 Duets for Two Violins
    Bittova, Iva / Andreas Kroper Echoes
    Bittova, Iva Kolednice

Nevertheless "Bile Inferno" is one of the best albums in my whole collection and that itself means that I would check any of her new albums
    Last edited by Progmatic; 03-19-2013 at 09:41 AM.

Bile Inferno sounds promising,too bad it only seems to be available from Amazon Germany for $61, a bit more than i want to spend.

If anyone knows of a new or used copy of Bile Inferno for a reasonable price, please keep me in mind.Thanks.

You can find it also on Waysidemusic.com for $33 new. It is 2 CDs.

everybody will tell you Bile Inferno and their right. i like Cikori too. shes an amazing talent

Iva Bittova (I've a bit over) Really? Isn't this just like Ivor Biggun or Irma Onatop (I'm on the top) or Yuri Nokabolokov? (knock a bollock off) or Mike Hunt? Is that really her real name?

I was a bit confused with the word 'debut' (she's been recording for almost 30 years) but very happy to see there's a NEW Iva Bittova out. I will get his soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Progmatic View Post
    You can find it also on Waysidemusic.com for $33 new. It is 2 CDs.

Hot damn. Thanks.

I should have checked Wayside first thing.I just assumed no US vendor had it.Just ordered it from Wayside.Thanks again Progmatic.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Iva Bittova (I've a bit over) Really? Isn't this just like Ivor Biggun or Irma Onatop (I'm on the top) or Yuri Nokabolokov? (knock a bollock off) or Mike Hunt? Is that really her real name?
    How about Chris Fucking McGuire? Is that his real name, I mean really?
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Progmatic View Post
    Iva Bittova is hit and miss for me...all her work is artistically great but she tends to go, on some of the albums, to musical styles that do not resonate with me

For instance IMHO:

The following are top notch albums:

Bittova, Iva / Vaclavek, Vladimir Bile Inferno
    Bittova & Fajt Bittova & Fajt
    Bittova, Iva Solo
    Bittova, Iva Divna Slecinka (aka Iva Bittova)

OK albums:
    Bittova Dunaj Fajt Pustit Musis
    Bittova, Iva Cikori
    Bittova, Iva Ne Nehledej

I can live without albums:
    Bittova, Iva Classic
    Bittova, Iva & Dorothea Kellerova Bela Bartok - 44 Duets for Two Violins
    Bittova, Iva / Andreas Kroper Echoes
    Bittova, Iva Kolednice

Nevertheless "Bile Inferno" is one of the best albums in my whole collection and that itself means that I would check any of her new albums
    Wow, was I mistaken! Thanks for I such a comprehensive discography, although I suppose I should also owe you a 'damn you!!' Too, since I'll now have to spend, spend, spend!

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    I was a bit confused with the word 'debut' (she's been recording for almost 30 years) but very happy to see there's a NEW Iva Bittova out. I will get his soon.
    Just to be clear, it did say 'self-titled debut on ECM, a similar distinction which can be applied to Chris Potter and his wonderful The Sirens, from earlier this year.

Best!
    John