We Jam Econo

Any fans of Minutemen/fIREHOSE?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Yeah, Firehouse is awesome!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Yeah, Firehouse is awesome!
    Ah, good one!

I believe of all the music related movies/dicumentaries I've ever seen this is the only one I ever watched twice. It's excellent. Look up integrity in the dictionary and you'll see a picture of Mike Watt.

I have Double Nickles and love it. I need to pick up more stuff from Watt.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

I was lucky enough to see The Minutemen live a few months before D Boon died, LOVED every second of that show! Great documentary for sure..
    Never play slap bass around bears, you'll make them VERY angry.

Quote Originally Posted by R. Totale III View Post
    Look up integrity in the dictionary and you'll see a picture of Mike Watt.
    Damn right. I was lucky enough to have a brief chat with him last year at a festival in the UK and he was so approachable and appreciative of the praise people were heaping upon him!

I love both Minutemen and fIREHOSE and We Jam Econo is hands down one of the best music documentaries out there.

Count me as a fan of both, but especially of fIREHOSE.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post
    Count me as a fan of both, but especially of fIREHOSE.
    Same here. Loved Minutemen but never got to see 'em. A co-worker of mine who was a few years younger than me started throwin' a lot of the SST stuff at me, which I found refreshing compared to the status quo of the time. Sonics, Husker Du, Bad Brains. Amazing shit. What blew me away the most was that this music was coming from folks my age, and I'm close to 55 now. I believe that Mike Watt graduated HS the same year as me.
    Saw fIREHOSE at the El 'n' Gee Club in New London CT around the time "If'n" came out. For some reason I'm thinking that the opening band was the Lyres, but it could have very well been the Reducers (local band, very good btw).
    The inspiration for this thread was my having seen the doc on Netfix a few days ago, along with biopics of Harry Nilsson and Rory Gallagher. You can't come away from any of these feeling the same way about the music business as it has existed since 1975 at the very least. But what you do take away is the knowledge that the most important success comes from sticking to one's principles.

I saw the Minutemen open for R.E.M., December 1985, Clowes Hall, Butler Univ., Indianapolis. About 12 days later Minutemen guitarist & singer D. Boon dies in an van crash, but I did not know that at the time. After that show, I bought every Minutemen record I could find. I even mail ordered direct from SST. I sent my ballot that was inserted into 3-Way Tie (For Last) to vote for songs for the live album. Again, I had no idea what had happened to D. They had become my favorite band at that time and in that short time I had acquired pretty much everything they had released. It must have been a somewhat old issue of Spin magazine that I purchased one cold morning in February (or March?) of '86 but inside was an article that started out with: "D. Boon of the Minutemen is dead." My first reaction was "It's a joke!??" but as I read on it was not so. I was absolutely devastated and realized then that show I had seen that past December was something special and I would never see that awesome band again....

I own the We Jam Econo DVD and I think it's time to watch it again...

Count me as a Minutemen/fIREHOSE/Bootstrappers/Mike Watt fan. Like R. Totale III said, look up "integrity" in the dictionary and there's a picture of Mike Watt.

Banned
    Has anyone here witnessed a fIREHOSE reunion gig? Some of the YT vids are discouraging because Ed Crawford seems to have blown out his voice.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyB View Post
    ...We Jam Econo is hands down one of the best music documentaries out there.
    Nothing could be more true. Amazing documentary about a killer band.