Thread: Ian McDonald and Foreigner

Ian McDonald and Foreigner

I guess this is the type of stuff Crims fans expected. Do we think this is where McDoanld wanted the band to go. Although, sorry Fripp. he prob made more $$$$$$$$

No "probably" about it. Classic sell out!

come on, guys! Rickenbacker bass, Hammond organ, analog synths, and you can even spot a set of Moog Taurus bass pedals in front of Ed Gagliardi's mic stand at the end of the video.

This is pop prog (at least the first couple of albums before the cocaine decisions set in).

Banned
    Foreigner actually was very diverse:pop, folk, r&b, and rock. Feels Like The First Time originally even had a disco beat. No one else sounded like Foreigner. To the poster that called Ian McDonald a sellout, he actually played on some of Foreigner's most interesting material(he was let go before 4 was recorded). I actually like 4, because it rocks harder than it's reputation suggests.

Starrider
    Tramontaine
    Long Long Way From Home
    Love Has Taken Its Toll
    Blue Morning, Blue Day
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire

Quote Originally Posted by timmy View Post
    come on, guys! Rickenbacker bass, Hammond organ, analog synths, and you can even spot a set of Moog Taurus bass pedals in front of Ed Gagliardi's mic stand at the end of the video.

This is pop prog (at least the first couple of albums before the cocaine decisions set in).

Apart from representing the absolute worst of the 70s corporate AOR/arena/cock rock, that has got to be the most useless and abhorrent tambourine playing ever.

Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post

I guess this is the type of stuff Crims fans expected. Do we think this is where McDoanld wanted the band to go. Although, sorry Fripp. he prob made more $$$$$$$$
    "The Northern Lights would flash by. And then they were gone".

Into the living rock of Stonehenge!

Foreigner was Mick's (Jones) band. Ian was never gonna grow with them. i think he would have been a better addition to The Moody Blues instead.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ItalProgRules View Post
    Starrider
    Tramontaine
    Long Long Way From Home
    Love Has Taken Its Toll
    Blue Morning, Blue Day
    Love Ian's sax work on Long Long Way From Home and Love Has Taken It's Toll.

Quote Originally Posted by N_Singh View Post
    Apart from representing the absolute worst of the 70s corporate AOR/arena/cock rock, that has got to be the most useless and abhorrent tambourine playing ever.
    C'mon, Foreigner wasn't that bad. They rocked harder than REO and Journey at that time. I don't consider Styx corporate rock. To me, Styx(like Kansas) was American prog.

I just finished watching VH1's Behind The Music on Foreigner, I've always been a casual fan owning compilations and couple of live albums, but it seems like I should get the first 2 or 3 albums to get a better idea of their better moments, am I correct?
    I live in an ephemeral eternity

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    With Foreigner, I really like the ballads and the softer songs- they do have a way of creating a strong atmosphere. It's many of the 'rawk' ones I personally find cliched.
    Always thought "That Was Yesterday" was an amazing song.

Quote Originally Posted by The Fantastic Progo Rican View Post
    I just finished watching VH1's Behind The Music on Foreigner, I've always been a casual fan owning compilations and couple of live albums, but it seems like I should get the first 2 or 3 albums to get a better idea of their better moments, am I correct?
    I'd think so. Though, like JIF, I absolutely adored 4.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Banned
    Agree with both of your points, Scott. I'm glad that the current lineup of Foreigner revived That Was Yesterday as an acoustic song. I even heard that they revive Nightlife(the opening track from 4) at one of their recent concerts. I also love the "greatest" hits Cd that I got at Wal-Mart a long time ago. It's a three CD set:one disc is re-recordings, the second is acoustic version, and the third disc is a live concert DVD. It was put out by Razor & Tie. I know people hate re-records, but I think that Kelly has a great voice and the band still sounds great.

Whenever someone uses the expression "head games", that Foreigner song immediately comes into my head and it won't leave!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by The Fantastic Progo Rican View Post
    First three, yeah. They all have a few really good songs, some "meh" songs and a couple real stinkers. You can make one really damn good album from the three of them though.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    First three, yeah. They all have a few really good songs, some "meh" songs and a couple real stinkers. You can make one really damn good album from the three of them though.
    The first two don't have any "meh" songs.

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    I'd categorize both Feels Like The First Time and Starrider as meh songs right off the top of my head, but obviously ymmv...

"Headknocker."

Doing a basic R & R song, no problem. Those lyrics-big, big problem. Not only are the lyrics generally lamer-than-lame, a local AM radio talk show host recently did a show on "most hilariously unintentionally gay songs ever." The host himself is not gay but has a sizeable gay audience, so this was done all in fun. "Headknocker" made the final 5. (REO Speedwagon managed to place two in the top 10.)

The second album has that awful Mick Jones-sung track, "Back Where You Belong." I think it was Rolling Stone that said "...in the kitchen, pregnant and barefoot, apparently."

Aside from "Starrider," the Jones-led songs were pretty weak in general.
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire

I do like Mick Jones vocals on Starrider though and Ian's flute just kills. I really like the first two Foreigner albums as prog-lite. Al Greenwood always provided a lot of tasty synth parts and there is a lot of ear candy. I find it amazing that they were able to fit all those parts in the mix.

Greenwood was a big part of the band. I liked his parts. Good rhythm section, too.

C'mon, Foreigner wasn't that bad. They rocked harder than REO and Journey at that time. I don't consider Styx corporate rock. To me, Styx(like Kansas) was American prog.
    I believe the expression I'm looking for is "damning with faint praise". I loathed all those bands, and I really really loathed Steve Perry and Lou Gramm's voices.

I saw Foreigner in concert in 1981/2, after Ian McDonald left, but I only went because The Greg Lake Band was supposed to be the opener. GL cancelled, of course, a few weeks before the concert, but me and my buddies went anyway. Let's just say I don't remember anything about the concert, except the sax solo on Urgent, I think Junior Walker came out and played it.
    ...or you could love

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Bender View Post
    II saw Foreigner in concert in 1981/2, after Ian McDonald left, but I only went because The Greg Lake Band was supposed to be the opener. GL cancelled, of course, a few weeks before the concert, but me and my buddies went anyway. Let's just say I don't remember anything about the concert, except the sax solo on Urgent, I think Junior Walker came out and played it.
    That's the exact reason that I saw Foreigner on that tour as well. Insetad of Greg Lake we got the Michael Stanley Band. I remember nothing about them.

The thing that sticks out for me the most was that Lou seemed to look to the left after every vocal line. Being it was annoying me.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe F. View Post
    The thing that sticks out for me the most was that Lou seemed to look to the left after every vocal line. Being it was annoying me.
    You mean like Robert Plant playing with his hair every 5 seconds in the concert bits of The Song Remains The Same?
    ...or you could love

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Bender View Post
    I believe the expression I'm looking for is "damning with faint praise". I loathed all those bands, and I really really loathed Steve Perry and Lou Gramm's voices.

I saw Foreigner in concert in 1981/2, after Ian McDonald left, but I only went because The Greg Lake Band was supposed to be the opener. GL cancelled, of course, a few weeks before the concert, but me and my buddies went anyway. Let's just say I don't remember anything about the concert, except the sax solo on Urgent, I think Junior Walker came out and played it.
    Wasn't it Mark Rivera with Foreigner on that tour?

Wasn't it Mark Rivera with Foreigner on that tour?
    Keep in mind that my friends and I were totally wasted, but I saw the Foreigner show here in Los Angeles (at the Forum), Junior Walker came out, did his solo, took a bow and left.

I think.
    ...or you could love