Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Album recommendations, no genre

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Recommended also to fans of Happy The Man; Stanley Whitaker is one of the guitarists. There's also a nice cover of Bruford's Five G on it.

I had some brief contact with Carl and he was so kind to sent me a t-shirt (which I only use to sleep in, because it's so big ;-) ).

The album came with a DVD with interviews and in-the-studio-recordings.

http://carlhupp.com/
    I have this CD, don't know if I got it to write a review, or for translating a review.

Talking about synthesizer-albums:
    Johan Timman - Trip into the body

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    I have this CD, don't know if I got it to write a review, or for translating a review.
    Carl asked me to translate a review, which was originally posted in the Dutch magazine iO Pages (you surely know):

CARL HUPP PROJECT
    Hyper Statue
    (LONG POINT RECORDS LP-010262-1)
    Those who watch the interview on the DVD which is added to Hyper Statue, will have a bit of trouble to imagine that shy looking Carl Hupp has managed to stimulate more than 20 first class musicians to deliver a smashing album. Tony Levin for example bangs his Chapman Stick in an old fashion way over a drum-pattern that sounds like Rush’ Mystic Rhythms in the title-track and Stanley Whitaker from Happy The Man plays in the exuberant jazz-rock/fusion tracks Revenge Of The Chair People, Skeleton Crew and Riff Raff in the style of one of his inspiration-sources, Allan Holdsworth, while the influence of Jeff Beck (and in smaller degree Neil Schon) turn up in the beautiful guitar-ballad The Better Angels Of Our Nature. By the way, these sources of inspiration are being called in the introducing clips, which are present on the DVD, in which is also showed a shot of the recording-sessions as well as an overview of the bands in which they have performed and by whom they have been influenced. The DVD also contains a video-clip from the solid Skeleton Crew, which has a drum-solo, that portrays Hupp as an excellent drummer, who hasn’t got his mega drum-set just for the show, but who can play with it very tasteful and versatile. He presents himself on this CD not only in jazz-rock, but also in genres like blues-rock, jazz, Latin and progressive rock, not seldom incorporated in one track. This variation manifests itself also very good in the instrumentation, in which everything is being coloured by amongst others sharp playing horn-players, a tearing harmonica-player and various percussionists. Finally there have been recorded two covers: Five G from Bill Bruford’s One Of A Kind and Billy Cobham’s Quadrant 4 (from Spectrum), complex compositions, that show, just like the rest of the songs, the first rate of the musicians.

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Carl asked me to translate a review, which was originally posted in the Dutch magazine iO Pages (you surely know):
    I know the magazine, but I didn't work for it at that time. I was fired earlier.

I have that Argo Vaughan Williams CD, yes, excellent pick.

Johan Timman - Trip into the body--this synth album is unknown to me, rather poppy, but pretty cool. Thanks.

Eire Apparent were a psych band produced by Hendrix

I have a collection of John McCormack called "Songs of My Heart" released by EMI Classics 61e97sXQwrL._SY355_.jpg

but couldn't find it on YouTube.

Canadian label Arts & Crafts first signing not associated with the great Broken Social Scene was The Most Serene Republic and all three LP's from them are HIGHLY recommended examples of "nerd rock." Bookish, slightly precious but brimming with towering musical ideas, TMSR are sadly neglected even within the Indie crowd.

The Prog Corner