Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Martin Orford The Old Road

Martin Orford The Old Road

I've been on a bit of an IQ kick lately. Recently I listened to Martin Orford's CD, The Old Road for the first time in quite a while and I had almost forgotten how very impressive it is. I know that Martin has pretty much left the music industry short of doing some guest appearances on CDs and a few live shows with Paul Menel, but it would be an absolute shame if he doesn't record any more music in the future. I completely understand his frustrations with the music industry these days but lets hope he changes his mind at some point in the near future. Someone as gifted as he is from a performance and songwriting perspective should be making music.

this – orford’s somewhat embittered retreat from the music industry – has been the source of many discussions here, also with participation of mr. orford himself. i doubt that he is still active here. he indeed has retired quite fiercely, having also left the management of GEP records. however, he has resurfaced recently doing assorted guestings with paul menel and others ... can anyone elaborate?

if you like olde-style pastoral english prog with some quirky pop- and AOR-sensitivity, and especially if you enjoy BiG BiG TRAiN’s “english electric” albums, “the old road” is for you.

The Old Road is a very good neo-progressive album (though Orford himself would probably be loathe to hear that), something like a more diverse and AOR-friendly Jadis album, though better than anything that Jadis have released since their debut.

I too can understand his frustrations with the changes in technology and the music scene, but I was mostly chuckling when I read the album liner notes. It seemed like he was huffing: “Oh sod modernity, I want Ye Olde Englande, where everything was slow, idyllic and uniform!” Sounded like a temper tantrum, but I suppose that was what he was looking for and he is probably happier now than he was back then. I certainly hope so.

Talking of Menel, he and Orford do seem to share a somewhat disgruntled attitude toward IQ after their respective departures from the group. Judging by the Menel article from January’s issue of Prog, Menel’s problem seems to be mainly his inability to understand how anyone would prefer the course the band has taken during the last two decades over what they were doing on Nomzamo and Are You Sitting Comfortably?. However, he does seem to harbour a lot of resentment about the band’s and especially Mike Holmes’ attitude toward him. Perhaps that helped him lure Orford out.

Couldn't get into this one. I love IQ and The Lens, and I like some Jadis here and there, but The Old Road didn't work for me somehow. Maybe I'll check it out again - I do love the cover!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    The Old Road is a very good neo-progressive album (though Orford himself would probably be loathe to hear that), something like a more diverse and AOR-friendly Jadis album, though better than anything that Jadis have released since their debut.

I too can understand his frustrations with the changes in technology and the music scene, but I was mostly chuckling when I read the album liner notes. It seemed like he was huffing: “Oh sod modernity, I want Ye Olde Englande, where everything was slow, idyllic and uniform!” Sounded like a temper tantrum, but I suppose that was what he was looking for and he is probably happier now than he was back then. I certainly hope so.

Talking of Menel, he and Orford do seem to share a somewhat disgruntled attitude toward IQ after their respective departures from the group. Judging by the Menel article from January’s issue of Prog, Menel’s problem seems to be mainly his inability to understand how anyone would prefer the course the band has taken during the last two decades over what they were doing on Nomzamo and Are You Sitting Comfortably?. However, he does seem to harbour a lot of resentment about the band’s and especially Mike Holmes’ attitude toward him. Perhaps that helped him lure Orford out.
    There is an interesting rebuttal letter to the Paul Menel article from Tim Esau in this month"s Prog Magazine. Tim essentially says that either the writer of the article or Paul Menel himself is throwing out mid-information.

I freaking love this album. Mr. Orford can really write a melody, and the vocals by Orford, Wetton & Longdon are fantastic.

Of course, he has an excellent lineup for the whole album, so it was bound to be good.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I downloaded this one (legally Mr O!) at the time of the controversy. It's not my usual bag but I was impressed and do still play it occasionally. It is insanely catchy at times, and is bit of a feel good album for me.

Old man of prog
    Love this album. Just listened to it the other night for the first time in a minute.

Ray Of Hope sounds like something from High Tension Wires by Steve Morse - and that's a great thing. I LOVE this album, play it more than I play my IQ records, and totally 100 percent respect his feelings about the liar thieving scum who steal music by illegally downloading it and justify their actions by saying "I wasn't going to buy it anyway". Good; then don't steal it.

But I digress...

This is a great record - the songs marry themselves to my soul and cheer me on dark days, inspire me on good ones. Tremendous stuff. YMMV.

You can sense a little of the bitterness of Mr. Orford about his separation from IQ; he used a part from IQ's "Stronger Than Friction" for "The Time and the Season".

That being said, I like this album a lot, too. It's a shame Mr. Orford became so bitter about music; he clearly had a lot more to offer.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    It's a shame Mr. Orford became so bitter about music; he clearly had a lot more to offer.
    Yep. He certainly went out with a bang.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

This album is a BEAUTIFUL piece of work, most especially "The Time And The Season". A lovely exit for Martin (shame for all of us in the long run), but the guy went out on a high note.
    "So...you seek understanding. Then listen to the music and not the song..." - Kosh

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Owned the CD since it came out, but listened to it for the first time last night as sort of a random pull from a box of CDs. A very good neo-prog album - as someone said, not surprisingly sounds like Jadis, and IQ. The melodies are, indeed, better than those featured in a lot of neo-prog. And the list of guest artists is impressive. I didn't even know that back then David Longdon was already someone who might guest on another's album.

Orford's vocally dropping out of the music business (as a musician) seemed, IMO, unnecessary. It only makes it that much harder to have a go at it again, should he ever want to. Unless he wanted to make a statement and felt that was the best way to do it. I'd certainly welcome more work from him, in any case.

He's a regular member of Jadis for the last couple of years... seems to be good with that level of involvement with the industry.

"Angels die, redemption rages
    The age of man on an empty page
    And chances are
    This will save your soul or break it forever "

I liked The Old Road quite a bit, as well as his previous solo CD. The sound felt overly compressed to my ears, unfortunately, but the songs are great for the most part. I still come back to it every now and then.

I do like this album quite a bit and still play it regularly..

He bemoaned the piracy at the time and his lack of ability to make a living doing music anymore doing what he had done before. Seems like the sharing sites aren't as prevalentnow but less people by physical copy and listen more on streaming services so royalties aren't much, so he probably wouldn't be happy about the current situation either. The model has shifted back to having to make income more on live performance and teaching (like in the pre major label days) so he would have had to do more outside gigs like he did when he gigged with Wetton's band etc. Sounds like he's found some happiness in music must playing with Jadis and doing something else for the paycheck.

Count me another prog fan who loves The Old Road. I was bummed when Orford decided to leave IQ but since then I've been thankful for some of the new blood IQ has brought to the keyboard table. I haven't read the Prog article yet but I can't imagine there are many fans that prefer the two Paul Menel albums to any that feature Peter Nicholls on Vox. I hardly ever revisit Paul Menel's time in the band. I remember being pretty thrilled when Ever came out and would argue the band have made some amazing Neo prog albums since then.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquatarkus View Post
    Count me another prog fan who loves The Old Road. I was bummed when Orford decided to leave IQ but since then I've been thankful for some of the new blood IQ has brought to the keyboard table. I haven't read the Prog article yet but I can't imagine there are many fans that prefer the two Paul Menel albums to any that feature Peter Nicholls on Vox. I hardly ever revisit Paul Menel's time in the band. I remember being pretty thrilled when Ever came out and would argue the band have made some amazing Neo prog albums since then.
    Personally, I'd rate Are You Sitting Comfortably higher than the weakest of the Peter Nicholls albums (for me, probably Subterranea. I know -- heresy). It's not such a slog and has stronger melodies and hooks, even if several of the songs are very pop-y. Besides, "Nostalgia"/"Falling Apart at the Seams" is Top 10 IQ in my book.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

My fav is still Tales from ... but then probably the 2 Menel albums.

I think the 2 Sqwawk albums could have been made into one outstanding album, and I think Paul Menel was an excellent vocalist. Possibly better than PN. Truth is, I would have liked to see them carry on with 2 vocalists, a la Kansas.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    Personally, I'd rate Are You Sitting Comfortably higher than the weakest of the Peter Nicholls albums (for me, probably Subterranea. I know -- heresy). It's not such a slog and has stronger melodies and hooks, even if several of the songs are very pop-y. Besides, "Nostalgia"/"Falling Apart at the Seams" is Top 10 IQ in my book.
    I should revisit Are You Sitting Comfortably and you raise an interesting point about Subterranea. I enjoyed the album at the time of release but I almost never listen to it now because I find it to be in the Regressive Rock category which I just don't find all that interesting. Nichols is one of those vocalists where I believe his voice has improved as he's gotten older, or at least the way in which he uses his voice. Frequency is probably my favorite IQ if I had to just pick one.

Edit: You're not wrong about the melodies and hooks on the Menel led AYSC! Did the band give him the boot because Peter wanted to rejoin or was it more of a Fishy shitsuation where the songwriters were moving in different directions? I don't know a lot of detail about IQ's personal history.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquatarkus View Post
    Edit: You're not wrong about the melodies and hooks on the Menel led AYSC! Did the band give him the boot because Peter wanted to rejoin or was it more of a Fishy shitsuation where the songwriters were moving in different directions? I don't know a lot of detail about IQ's personal history.
    The Sqwawk label crashed and burned, leaving the band without a major label deal. Timbo and Paul wanted to tweak things to focus entirely on a Commercial Rock/Pop direction and make another run at stardom/commercial viability, and the rest of them didn't. The death of Ledge was the catalyst that got the rest to carry on, eventually bringing out Ever and resuming their pre-major label direction.

That's really interesting to hear about the Sqwawk label. Listening to the two Menel albums again this morning, I like his voice well enough though I think it is a little thinner than Peter's. Some of the tracks you can hear pretty clearly the shift to a more commercial sound that most of the track on those first two records. Favorite track: Wurensh.
    Did Menel work with any other bands in his post IQ life?

^ Not that I know of. I'm not sure that he and Tim even worked up any material after the band fell apart. Paul did release a solo album a few years back. It's firmly in an 80s Pop-Rock mode.