Thread: Yes - Going For The One (HDtracks)

Yes - Going For The One (HDtracks)

Sadly, this one is just so bright I can hardly listen to it. I have to roll off a ton of treble and then it sounds decent.

No mention on HDtracks as regards source on this but I just cannot believe the master would have been this bright.

I saw mention on another forum that this was no-noised, but that is absolutely untrue to my ears. I hear no signs of digital noise reduction.

The original Atlantic CD is still far better than this, and sounds very close to the vinyl.

Can't recommend this one.

Its a tough listen. Its always been an odd sounding album - never cared for the production. Instead of a flat transfer, this one could have used a healthy dose of EQ to turn it into something.

I've always actually really liked the weird, thin wet sound of GftO. But yeah, damn it's bright on cd, the vinyl does sound best. I was hoping for better news on this one, I would have grabbed it immediately! Very interested to hear CttE though.

Quote Originally Posted by LASERCD View Post
    Its a tough listen. Its always been an odd sounding album - never cared for the production. Instead of a flat transfer, this one could have used a healthy dose of EQ to turn it into something.
    If this is flat transfer, I absolutely agree.

Unlike TYA and CttE, however, they make no mention of source or approach on this one.

I'm listening to a German LP rip now for comparison, and it's still a bit rough, but far easier on the ears. If somehow the master sounds like the HDtracks download, then I would imagine some of the cutting engineers who dealt with this recording would have certainly saw fit to tame that top end.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffCarney View Post
    If this is flat transfer, I absolutely agree.

Unlike TYA and CttE, however, they make no mention of source or approach on this one.

I'm listening to a German LP rip now for comparison, and it's still a bit rough, but far easier on the ears. If somehow the master sounds like the HDtracks download, then I would imagine some of the cutting engineers who dealt with this recording would have certainly saw fit to tame that top end.
    Thanks for your review as always Jeff. I am really happy with the Rhino so I'm good.