Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: The hiking thread

The whole trail is 14 stages but I am not that tough. I only did 5 of them and some other walks.

I should probably post photos from my week off. I took a few vacation days this season (back in September) and hiked out to the end of Tomales Point and then up to the top of Mt. Burdell.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    Here's the result of my two weeks hiking trip to Dominica (and a bit of Martinique)
    https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...dpWHBDelRmSXNn

Ever heard of the Waitukubuli National Trail? Neither did I a half year ago. It is awesom.
    Inspirational !!! Beautiful !!!

We're seriously considering retirement somewhere in that region within the next few years . . .

How much as I enjoyed this vacation I could probably not live there. I would miss the seasons in general and winter in particular.

Been hiking recently anyone?

I have. Here are some shots from a short trekking through the mountains of Southern Albania
    https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JKVGM5SFVBdkVB

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    ^Beautiful country. Thanks for sharing your photos.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

I have. Here are some shots from a short trekking through the mountains of Southern Albania
    You've hiked in some pretty impressive places, and those are excellent pictures!

I was going to do a stoopid-hard hike earlier this year, but had to be overseas at the time - so I'm now planning to do it next April: The "one-day hike" goes from Washington, DC to Harpers Ferry. It's exactly 100km, and the challenge is to do it in one day. Why? 'Cuz I'm stoopid!

Beyond that, just a few regular regional hikes here on the picturesque mid-Atlantic region of the USA.

A friend of mine just completed the first half of the Appalachian trail. He did 1,028 miles (1,665 kms) in about 2-1/2 months. He's resting now, and will resume the hike in a few weeks time. That hike is nowhere near my bucket list!
    Regards,

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    You've hiked in some pretty impressive places, and those are excellent pictures!

I was going to do a stoopid-hard hike earlier this year, but had to be overseas at the time - so I'm now planning to do it next April: The "one-day hike" goes from Washington, DC to Harpers Ferry. It's exactly 100km, and the challenge is to do it in one day. Why? 'Cuz I'm stoopid!

Beyond that, just a few regular regional hikes here on the picturesque mid-Atlantic region of the USA.

A friend of mine just completed the first half of the Appalachian trail. He did 1,028 miles (1,665 kms) in about 2-1/2 months. He's resting now, and will resume the hike in a few weeks time. That hike is nowhere near my bucket list!
    100 km in one day? Even if you make 5 km an hour, which is very high for 'normal' hiking terrain, it is still 20 hours! Most I ever did was an 80 km march but this was in the flat Netherlands over roads.

Talking about buckets lists; When I was young I did a lot of mountaineering. The 'Dutch mountain god' at the time was a guy called Ronald Naar. At a lecture someone asked (not me) which areas he would recommend to non-climbers. His repons was: Cordillera HuyHuash in Peru and Hunza Valley in Pakistan. Right there at that moment I decided I needed to go there one day. The Huyhuash I ticked off ten years ago. This September it is time for the Hunza valley and surroundings.

The 100km hike starts at 3:00am, and you have to finish by midnight. It's on a pretty flat, easy trail.

I did 50km route marches in the military. Not fun!

Regarding 'mountaineering' - I've done a few - most noteworthy being Kilimanjaro. I'm planning to do Mt. Rainier here in the USA with my son - probably in a year's time.

Not many hikes on my bucket list other than that 100km "challenge hike". I'd like to do the Inca trail, some time - I have many friends who've done it.
    Regards,

Duncan

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Duncan,

I read somewhere recently that people are no longer able to summit Mt. Rainier, the most heavily glaciated peak in the lower 48, because receding glaciers have made the ice route to the top, ice-free in places. I didn't save the article (which may have been an alarmist tale of one party's failure to make the summit), but discuss it with other mountain climbers before traveling to Washington state. Maybe it's scalable in winter, I know some peaks that can only be climbed in ice and snow. Or maybe by another route. Hope it is still doable and that you are able to make that trek with your son. It is one spectacular mountain.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Beautiful pictures and especially moving to me as my grandfather emigrated from Albania. Was this a guided tour? Recommended?

Yeah it was guided through a local agency, zbulo (www.zbulo.org). Maps of the area are not available yet and also the people in the homestays do not speak english so a guide is usefull. It was not a hard or challenging hike but nice weather, great scenery, friendly people, good food and relaxed hiking. Just what the doctor ordered.

I would highly recommend this tour but only in spring and autumn. Summers will be too hot. Better go to the albanian alps in the north in summer.
    Last edited by thedunno; 06-11-2018 at 02:10 AM.

Yeah it was guided through a local agency, zbulo (www.zbulo.org). Maps of the area are not available yet and also the people in the homestays do not speak english so a guide is usefull. It was not a hard or challenging hike but nice weather, great scenery, friendly people, good food and relaxed hiking. Just what the doctor ordered.

I would highly recommend this tour but only in spring and autumn. Summers will be too hot. Better go to the albanian alps in the north in summer.
    Thanks. Maybe someday!

Hunza Pakistan is pretty spectacular hiking country.

Doood - you do some awesome hikes!
    Regards,

Duncan

Wow...I'm in the woods and on the trails ALL the time, but have never seen sights like that. Pretty incredible!
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Wow, Gorgeous pics indeed. I guess I should make own picture thread about my last trip.
    By the way I wanted to ask what was in your packing list for this trip? I'm planning to visit the mountain area soon for several days. We're planning to camp there and I was thinking to take something like this with me as well as some other tools like small shovel

I took a hike to the bathroom at 4:30 this morning, sorry no pictures.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

I went out to Pleasanton Ridge a while back, which I had been avoiding, figuring it was “just another oak woodland park.” Which it totally is. What they don’t tell you is that there is extreme proximity to both Foothill Rd. and the 680 freeway, and the park is located right on the flight path to three major international airports. So it’s not exactly the place to go for quiet and solitude.

Great for wildlife sighting, though. I spotted some deer (not so special) and a bobcat (VERY special!).
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Today, I paid the deposit on a Mount Rainier climb.

I'll be going up, with a friend and with my son, in September 2020.

Regards,

Duncan

I had a bit of a fustrating hiking year. My hiking vacation in Slovenia was cut short due to health problems.

At least I did one very nice multiple day hike in spring in Ticino, Switzerland.
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/r9mZs7nqe7xgePoc9

I had a bit of a fustrating hiking year. My hiking vacation in Slovenia was cut short due to health problems.

At least I did one very nice multiple day hike in spring in Ticino, Switzerland.
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/r9mZs7nqe7xgePoc9
    You have the best hikes - I'm jealous!!
    Regards,

Duncan

it was an incredible journey first up the mountains then down a steep descent and I was not sure that I will cope with the control of the machine this
. it was dangerous and hard and fast..but paporoti was even dangerous, and at some point I feared for my life

How about this place to go hiking?

Looks like Roger Dean grew those!

Mountain flora can be fascinating.
    Regards,

Duncan