Thread: Tony Banks - "The Wicked Lady" released on CD

Tony Banks - "The Wicked Lady" released on CD

...as well as re-issues of the other titles, apparently.

http://www.genesis-news.com/news-Ton...ases-n338.html

After Strictly Inc, it has become a bit quiet regarding Tony Banks' solo work. He did indeed release two albums with classical music (Seven and SI, but Tony's rock/pop music solo career seems over. Now, one of his soundtracks, that was never released on CD, will come out on CD in April: The Wicked Lady. It can already be pre ordered at amazon-uk. Following that release, there are also plans to release his other solo albums (A Curious Feeling, The Fugitive, Soundtracks, Bankstatement, Still and Strictly Inc). No specific release dates are known as yet, also non information about possible bonus tracks or remaster work is available right now. The subject was also discussed in an interview we did with Tony a year ago (follow this link).

Also, Tony has started his brand new Facebook Page a while ago.

The Wicked Lady tracklist:
    01. The Wicked Lady
    02. Portrait of Jerry Jackson
    03. Caroline's Theme
    04. Scherzo
    05. Pastorale
    06. Prelude to the Wicked Lady
    07. Kit s Theme
    08. Finale
    09. Barbara
    10. The Chase
    11. Spring
    12. Kit
    13. Repentance
    14. Caroline
    15. Jerry Jackson
    16. The Wicked Lady (Custom version)
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Wow, its about time for this one. interesting that they've totally revamped the track order. Well, I'll be definitely picking this up. Spring is a gorgeous track, I used to play it on piano, one of the few covers I ever did. Thanks for the heads up on this!

Really pleasantly surprised by this. I always enjoyed the non- orchestrated side when it was originally released. Interested to see if I now also enjoy the orchestrated side now that my tastes have changed as I've gotten older. I have the vinyl but haven't had a turntable in a long time. Autobuy if it is released in the States.
    Last edited by Tangram; 03-16-2013 at 08:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    I have the vinyl but haven't had a turntable in a long time.
    I have a cassette, but nothing to play it on!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Awesome!! Been waiting a long time for this one!

Curious that they mention a reissue of A Curious Feeling ... that one was done a few years ago by Eclectic Discs / Esoteric Recording.

Played my cassette rip last night - pretty sweet listen

Not sure I'm liking to idea of changing the track order but we'll see

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

I've had this on cassette for years, where its at I can't remember, but I always liked this album.
    Be a loyal plastic robot for a world that doesn't care... Frank Zappa

This is now available directly from Tony's site:

http://www.tonybanksmusic.com/

Nice! Thanks for this update.

How different is this from Soundtracks....

Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    I always thought it blew Soundtracks away. Back in the day, I loved this album, and when Soundtracks came out I was quite disappointed-wasn't up to this level of composition and beauty, in my opinion.

I also think it's better than Soundtracks, especially Tony's demos, which sound very "Fugitive-like". They were done at around the same time and with the same equipment, and it clearly shows! I don't care that much for the orchestral stuff.

On a side-note: A few days ago, I gave SIX another spin, as I really would like to love it. But nope - it does absolutely nothing for me.

I don't care a whole lot for the orchestral side of 'Wicked Lady' either. But the keyboard stuff is really great. A bit in the 'Forever Morning' vein. On the other hand, I adore 'Six', my favorite Tony solo album, I think.

Anybody ever seen the movie? Unbelievably bad, but at least there's a ton of nudity...

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Anybody ever seen the movie? Unbelievably bad, but at least there's a ton of nudity...
    The movie sucked. 'Lorca and the Outlaws' (Starship) sucked too. 'The Shout' was ... um ... sorry. 'Quicksilver' wasn't that great either. I think that is the extent of the movies Tony has done the music for... Still, at least they had some good music.

Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    None of Wicked Lady is on Soundtracks. Musically it's different because it's all short pieces and it's either pure keyboard ir orchestral, no rock flavor or programmed drums.

Well I saw the movie at the theater and anytime I can see Faye Dunaway looking hot and sexy and/or naked I'll ignore a film's merits. I enjoyed it and haven't seen it since. I do recall hearing very little of Tony's music though. The cd he is now releasing has much more music on it than you'll hear in the movie,and that's pretty much standard fare with these soundtracks. Actually,on his site he proclaims to be re-issuing a lot of his albums,one in particular I really want to get is Strictly Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by ombasan View Post
    I also think it's better than Soundtracks, especially Tony's demos, which sound very "Fugitive-like". They were done at around the same time and with the same equipment, and it clearly shows! I don't care that much for the orchestral stuff.

On a side-note: A few days ago, I gave SIX another spin, as I really would like to love it. But nope - it does absolutely nothing for me.
    I haven't bought SIX. I did buy Seven and don't really like it much at all. A Curious Feeling is his best by far. I was very lucky to snag a 2-disc one in 2.0 and the second in 5.1. Now [that] is how you need to hear ACF.

I kind of want to see it just because of the bile fascination. No one has ever said a nice word about the film. Ever. Faye Dunaway could not survive the damage done to her career post-Mommie Dearest. Her biggest role after that was as the villainess in Supergirl!

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    The movie sucked. 'Lorca and the Outlaws' (Starship) sucked too. 'The Shout' was ... um ... sorry.
    I have The Shout on videotape (I got it at a video store closing sale, it was missing its box so I got it extra-cheap). It was...um...I need to re-watch it because I totally didn’t “get” it. A pity, because the cast (Alan Bates, Susannah York and John Hurt) is incredible. And this coming from someone who enjoyed Susannah York’s appearance in Images, the Robert Altman mindf--- shot in Ireland. I will say that director Jerzy Skolimowski had a great ear for music, his previous film The Deep End (which I still have yet to see) had soundtrack music by Can.

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"Parece cosa de maligno. Los pianos no estallan por casualidad." --Gabriel Garcia Marquez

N.P.:“Danse sacrée”-Rahmann

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    I kind of want to see it just because of the bile fascination. No one has ever said a nice word about the film. Ever. Faye Dunaway could not survive the damage done to her career post-Mommie Dearest. Her biggest role after that was as the villainess in Supergirl!

I have The Shout on videotape (I got it at a video store closing sale, it was missing its box so I got it extra-cheap). It was...um...I need to re-watch it because I totally didn’t “get” it. A pity, because the cast (Alan Bates, Susannah York and John Hurt) is incredible. And this coming from someone who enjoyed Susannah York’s appearance in Images, the Robert Altman mindf--- shot in Ireland. I will say that director Jerzy Skolimowski had a great ear for music, his previous film The Deep End (which I still have yet to see) had soundtrack music by Can.

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"Parece cosa de maligno. Los pianos no estallan por casualidad." --Gabriel Garcia Marquez

N.P.:“Danse sacrée”-Rahmann
    No one. Ever? I liked it and my reasons may/may not have had anything to do with how gorgeous Faye is in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    "The Shout" was recently released on Bluray. I remember seeing this movie on TV in the late seventies, after I heard Banks and Rutherford were involved. Very strange experience. Just noticed that Rupert Hine was involved too.

Listening to this disc this morning with some coffee and thoroughly enjoying it - particularly the "Tony Banks Plays Variations..." second half. In the five years (!) since this thread was made, we got a few of these tracks also on the A Chord Too Far box, but not all of them - so it's nice to have this one in the collection.

One day I'd like to see the version of From The Undertow that Rutherford plays on (from The Shout) officially released on CD. Unlikely, I know. But would make a nice bonus track on... well, something.