Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: A band album that does not bear the bands name. And the other way around.

A band album that does not bear the bands name. And the other way around.

I often see people saying ABWH is to be regarded as a Yes album. While Lsaves And Masters by Deep Purple is not be regarded as a DP eventhough it has 4/5 of the classic linup members.

To me, really, if the album bears the band moniker, then it is by that band. ABWH is not a Yes album. Slaves And Masters is a DP album.

How do people rationalise these thing when it comes to band names. And why?
    And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love you make.

Banned
    These things are decided by the fans. In this case, a lot of people think that ABWH is as good as Yes, while Slaves And Masters didn't deserve to have Deep Purple's name on it because it sucked. Also, Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman, and Howe couldn't call themselves Yes because Chris Squire owns the name. Some people say that the current version of Yes shouldn't call themselves Yes because Jon Anderson is gone, and those people would be wrong. Majority rules. Just like Styx can be Styx without DDY, and Queensryche can be Queensryche without Geoff.

Amon Duul II did that one album as "Utopia." Most ADII fans consider it an ADII album and it was included in SPV's Amon Duul II reissue series as if it was a regular item in the discography.
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire

Queen should have been called 'Queen minus Freddie' during the Paul Rogers era !

Ramases' Space Hymns might have been one of 10CC's best albums members (all four are on it)

There are also two Neil Ardley (Rainbows and Spheres) that could be Ian Carr's Nucleus albums (the whole band is on them)
    Last edited by Trane; 03-13-2013 at 12:02 PM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Welcome to the Canteen
    ProjeKct X

Arch/Matheos - Sympathetic Resonance is basically Fates Warning, subtracting Ray Alder and adding John Arch.
    Jack Lancaster & Robin Lumley - Marscape more or less is Brand X
    Jerry Goodman and Jan Hammer - Like Children is sort of a Mahavishnu Orchestra record given the material later was released under the MO name with different people (McLaughlin obviously)

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    These things are decided by the fans. In this case, a lot of people think that ABWH is as good as Yes, while Slaves And Masters didn't deserve to have Deep Purple's name on it because it sucked. Also, Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman, and Howe couldn't call themselves Yes because Chris Squire owns the name. Some people say that the current version of Yes shouldn't call themselves Yes because Jon Anderson is gone, and those people would be wrong. Majority rules. Just like Styx can be Styx without DDY, and Queensryche can be Queensryche without Geoff.
    Well even if Slaves And Masters wasnt a good album (there were 3 decent tracks on it) it would be the same as not calling Burn or Stormbringer or any latterday DP (without Jon Lord) a DP album.

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Queen should have been called 'Queen minus Freddie' during the Paul Rogers era !
    or Queen 2.0 or Queen minus Freddie and John. or Half of Queen and all of Paul Rodgers. or named after a song, like maybe 'Keep Yourself Alive' which could include the 3 of them.

Karl Jenkins' "Rubber Riff" was originally a library music album for De Wolfe. When it was released on CD they called it a Soft Machine album.

There are a number of solo albums that I file with the band because they are, in effect, band albums released under one member's name -- like Peter Banks and Flash.

This doesn't actually fit the category, but I get a kick out of R.E.M. calling one of their early records Eponymous.

Bob Weir's Ace is a Grateful Dead album that just happens to have Weir taking all the lead vocals.

I'd say that Geoff Tate using any form of "Queensryche" when what he's really doing is a solo project is pretty fraudulent.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Progstreaming-webmaster Sunhillow's Avatar
    Justin Hayward & John Lodge "Blue Jays" is in fact a Moody Blues-album. It doesn't have compositions from either Pinder and Thomas, but who cares. Or, if your prefer, "Sur La Mer" and almost everything afterwards should've been a Justin Hayward & John Lodge-album.

Ian Anderson "Walk Into Light" could have been a Jethro Tull-album, or "Under Wraps" should have been a solo-album.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunhillow View Post
    Ian Anderson "Walk Into Light" could have been a Jethro Tull-album, or "Under Wraps" should have been a solo-album.
    Walk Into Light has Anderson playing everything except some of the keyboards. Under Wraps has the full band, although Perry was only added for the tour and Anderson has expressed regret for not using him on the album.

Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    or Queen 2.0 or Queen minus Freddie and John. or Half of Queen and all of Paul Rodgers.
    or named after a song, like maybe 'Keep Yourself Alive' which could include the 3 of them.
    Bad Queen would have been perfect !

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I'd say that Geoff Tate using any form of "Queensryche" when what he's really doing is a solo project is pretty fraudulent.
    The QR situation does challenge my thesis that if it reads "x band name" on the cover then i classify it as that band. There is just no way Geoff Tates QR will be my QR. On the other hand the bandalso called QR with all the other members in it plus awesome vocalist will be my QR......

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I agree, Scott. I just hope that the fans and the judge see it that way come November.

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Olesen View Post
    I often see people saying ABWH is to be regarded as a Yes album. While Lsaves And Masters by Deep Purple is not be regarded as a DP eventhough it has 4/5 of the classic linup members.
    To me it's a Rainbow album. It has 3/5's of what was at the time the last Rainbow lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    or Queen 2.0 or Queen minus Freddie and John. or Half of Queen and all of Paul Rodgers. or named after a song, like maybe 'Keep Yourself Alive' which could include the 3 of them.
    How about Good Company?

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Bob Weir's Ace is a Grateful Dead album that just happens to have Weir taking all the lead vocals.
    The Grateful Dead played on most of Jerry's Reflections album, as well. I always think it's interesting when people do solo albums, then drag members of the band they're in to play on the solo record.

Banned
    David Gimour's self-titled solo album features his pre-Pink Floyd band called Jokers Wild.

90215 was recorded by a group that called themselves Cinema. Black Sabbath's album Seventh Star was supposed to be a Tony Iommi solo album.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Welcome to the Canteen
    Good call. I still file that with my Traffic albums. I had to put it on when I saw the name.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Olesen View Post
    The QR situation does challenge my thesis that if it reads "x band name" on the cover then i classify it as that band. There is just no way Geoff Tates QR will be my QR. On the other hand the bandalso called QR with all the other members in it plus awesome vocalist will be my QR......
    I'm right there with ya, Kim. I feel the same way.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally