Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: R I P Peter Banks

It's part of a series of Classic Artists DVDs, all of which are excellent and in depth- Tull, Moody Blues, Cream etc. Very official with all the people involved.

Here's the review I did of the Yes one.

http://www.progressiveears.com/asp/r...p?albumID=4347
    Last edited by Sean; 03-18-2013 at 09:59 PM.

In PB's autobiography, he mentions hanging out with / trying to start a band with Goldy McJohn (Steppenwolf's legendary organist) in the 70s. I've known Goldy for years and asked him about Pete (excuse the all-caps; that's how Goldy types):

WELL ..THE BEST OF THE BEST ...IS AT REST ~!!! MAN ......WHAT A GUITARIST ..& A KILLER PLAYER ..WE WERE TRYING TO FORM A BAND . I'D GO TO HIS APARTMANT UP ON SUNSET STRIP i'd PARK MY CAR GO VISIT HIM FOR AS LONG AS I COULD STAND UP SHARING IDEAS ..HE D GET ME SO FRIGGIN DRUNK..I COULD NEVER FIND MY CAR~!LMAO YOU WERE A GOOD OL LAD MY SON~!!!A REAL MATE ~!HE WAS THE REAL DEAL WITH THE FORMING OF "YES"..I KNOW THERES A GREAT MANY FANS THAT NEVER KNEW WHY HE LEFT THE YES ~!!ITS A BIT AKWARD TO PUT THE TRUTH IN PRINT ..AT THIS MOMENT ..REST IN PEACE MY OLD FRIEND ~!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    It's part of a series of Classic Artists DVDs, all of which are excellent and in depth- Tull, Moody Blues, Cream etc. Very official with all the people involved.

Here's the review I did of the Yes one.

http://www.progressiveears.com/asp/r...p?albumID=4347
    Thanks for the info. I found the Yes doc in its entirety on YouTube and watched it last night. While it was a low-budget production, and some stories/observations were repeated from YesYears, there was a wealth of new material to hold my interest. I enjoyed the interviews with people not featured in YY (i.e. Peter Banks, Trevor Horn, Eddie Offord, and Roger Dean). Was also nice to hear them talk about the albums beyond Union which YY didn't cover.

It was kind of sad near the end to hear Bruford say he finds the fact that Yes was continuing to tour almost pathetic and essentially that there's nothing of artistic value behind it (and that was six or seven years ago, they're still going!). I'll probably buy the DVD to get the bonus content.

Quote Originally Posted by devoidzer0 View Post
    It was kind of sad near the end to hear Bruford say he finds the fact that Yes was continuing to tour almost pathetic and essentially that there's nothing of artistic value behind it (and that was six or seven years ago, they're still going!). I'll probably buy the DVD to get the bonus content.
    Makes sense to me.

Thanks for the info. I found the Yes doc in its entirety on YouTube and watched it last night.
    Can you post a link or at least give the phrase u used in the search field at Youtube? Sounds like a fascinating doc.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucka001 View Post
    Can you post a link or at least give the phrase u used in the search field at Youtube? Sounds like a fascinating doc.
    Can't post the link, as it's copyrighted and available on DVD, but try "classic artist the yes story".

Quote Originally Posted by Bucka001 View Post
    It *is* a fascinating doc. It's worth owning IMO, and keep in mind that Youtube does not have the second DVD of extras (with another whackload of interview footage that did not make the final cut on disc 1). The Peter Banks "Union tour debacle" interview, for example, is on disc 2.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    The Peter Banks "Union tour debacle" interview, for example, is on disc 2.
    Shoot, that's the bit that would interest me the most. Is that not on YouTube (is it just on the 'extras' for the actual dvd)?

From the Facebook page "Remembering Peter Banks:"

Pete was cremated in a private ceremony this morning (Friday, 22nd March) at Golders Green Crematorium in north London.

The oldest crematorium in London, opened in 1902, others who have passed through there include Ronnie Scott, Keith Moon, Marc Bolan, Sigmund Freud, Michael Foot, Bram Stoker, Stanley Baldwin, Neville Chamberlain, TS Eliot, Rudyard Kipling, Peter Sellers, Henry James and HG Wells.
    -----
    RIP, Peter!

Quote Originally Posted by Chonk View Post
    From the Facebook page "Remembering Peter Banks:"
    Thanks for passing along the update.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    Thanks for passing along the update.
    You are very welcome! Pete's tragic life touched me deeply...I was into Flash since the single "Small Beginnings" came onto Chicago radio in 1972, and I was fortunate to see Flash in concert, backing up Wishbone Ash, in 1973.

Peter was really getting his chops down in later years, check out his solo CDs "Self-Contained" and "Instinct." With any luck, George Mizer will be able to have some archival music released in the future.

Bill Ward just posted this on his FB page:

Because of the seemingly bleak circumstances and limited information about the death of Peter Banks, I reacted quite sadly to the news and felt driven to write this poem.

A Poem for Peter Banks

How can this be
    I didn’t plan for it to be like this
    Mine was a far more grandiose end.
    Aloneness in life
    Aloneness in death
    Who will say a kind word,
    Have I pushed you all away, so much I cannot be recognized
    Will no one stand for me, now, in these moments of closure, and passing.
    It isn’t cold anymore,
    And hunger has left me
    My predicaments still undone in life, are somehow in death solved.

I can no longer hear silence, is there no one to champion me
    One voice will be enough
    I’m worth something, it’ll mean everything to me
    Dark shadows betray me not, seek another in ruin, to commit your slanderous verbiage upon
    Leave me, rant and drag down and complete your next victim’s demise
    Your emptiness is un-radiant.

No matter what I’ve done
    Or who I became
    When one voice speaks
    The loneliness cannot circle me
    When one voice validates me
    I can rest in peace

–Bill Ward

http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php...type=1&theater

The term I remember him using was referring to the current Yes as a really good tribute band

Banned

Pete—a mixed bag...

I'm Ray Bennett's wife. For those who might not know, Ray was the bass player in Flash (mentioned above) with Pete, Colin Carter and Mike Hough.

We were all shocked to hear of Pete's death. Hadn't had much contact with him for years, since discussions of a Flash reunion began early 2000's and came to an impasse with Pete very quickly. Pete was a brilliant, but difficult guy to work with. His history reflects that, and sadly, his career was stunted and he ended up alone.

Before their 70's break-up, Flash producer, Derek Lawrence, saw serious trouble coming with Pete and advised the band to replace him and carry on. But they were all very young and a bit impetuous. After three albums and two years of touring, frustration dealing with Peter mounted until they just walked away, leaving him in a hotel in Albuquerque, NM, as recounted in Pete's book. He leaves out a lot!

After initial reunion talks broke down with Pete, and Mike Hough declined, Ray and Colin decided to carry on, ultimately resulting in a new Cd on Cleopatra Records, Flash featuring Ray Bennett and Colin Carter—release date May 21, 2013

To hopefully add some insight, in Pete's Cherry Red interview he talks in detail about his past. You have to read between the lines to get a clearer picture of many of the events he recounts and what really happened. For instance, the current confusion between ex-wives. Pete had a lot of ex's—wives, friends, bandmates. After Flash, Pete and his first wife, Sidionie Jordan, had separated, but were still working together when they invited Ray to join them on a project and Ray and Sid struck up a relationship. Unwise perhaps, but understandable. And no one in Flash stole anything from Pete as he claims. It's that sort of off-the-wall behavior that reveals the difficulty dealing with him. His brilliant talent and success was unfortunately impeded by his demons, whatever they were.

At the time of his death he was in the studio preparing a live 70's Flash concert for release with the intention of not paying the band royalties, as he did on the earlier Cherry Red/Esoteric recent releases of their three studio albums. Perhaps the "disturbingly horrible communications from Pete's former associates" Esoteric refers to in her post were the emails from Ray and I informing them that EMI still owns the rights to the albums, not Pete, as he may have said, and that the entire band should be paid. But that was Pete! So many more incidents over the years, too many to relate. But we always wished him well and wanted to see him succeed. It's very sad that that hope dies with him. RIP Peter.

Thanks for that post, Sherry. It does bring to mind that about 40 years ago, when Flash played Madison, WI, I was the singer in the local band that opened for them. I will never forget that when we were talking to the band at the club, we invited all 4 to join us after the gig for some "Wisconsin hospitality". Ray & Mike were very appreciative and 3 of us went to their hotel where they were sharing a room (in retrospect, I wonder if Peter & Colin, who were far more stand-offish than Ray & Mike, had separate rooms). Those 2 never graced us with their presence, and at the time, we were disappointed.

Ray & Mike & us locals talked, etc. until the wee hours that night, and at 68 now, I still remember that night. Thanks for bringing that memory back.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Wow. Wouldn't want to speak ill of the dead or anything...
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

"Stand-offish" is not speaking ill of anyone. Those are the facts. Many tasteless things could be said about the way that we were treated that night, but stand-offish is nothing if not benign.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman