Thread: Jonas Reingold rejoins The Tangent

Jonas Reingold rejoins The Tangent

...Reingold/Harrison - quite a rhythm section! Can't wait for Le Sacre Du Travail!

Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

SWEETER THAN SWEET!

Since last year's Terra Incognita in Quebec where I first met Andy and chatted quite a bit with both he and Sally, I have so much respect & love for the guy, and only wish him the very best. This is great news!
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    This is great news!
    It is indeed. I can't wait for this album. I truly enjoy every Tangent release thus far and I still pull one off the shelf at least every few weeks. Terrific playing and writing - but I have a feeling this is going to be the masterpiece Tangent album. If I'm wrong and it's only as good as the rest, well that's a win-win situation.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Wow, that's a sick lineup. So far I haven't put any time into the Tangent, but I certainly will with this release.

Snippet of a rough mix from the upcoming album:

https://soundcloud.com/andy-tillison...nippet/s-W1gPA

That's an impressive line-up. I haven't paid attention to them since I bought 'The Music That Died Alone,' but this will be worth investigating.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottAM View Post
    Wow, that's a sick lineup.

You took the words right out of my mouth. Whatever this band does just has to be great.

Wow! Based on some recent interviews I'd read on the net I thought Andy was almost ready to throw in the towel on this great project band. I'm really glad to see that's not the case at all. I feel like every line-up has had its strengths, and this one will be no exception. I really look forward to this one as this band has never let me down, and this line up looks like one of the best.

Definitely a fantastic line-up! Hopefully with Longdon on board we can look forward to some strong vocals, which I think is the one thing that has prevented this band from being top notch for me in the past (lyrics are great, vocals not so much).

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Dare I say it's become a supergroup? Talent-wise, anyway.

But I didn't know Jonas was ever involved before. Is he on any Tangent recordings? (Historically, I'm not good at remembering Tangent lineups.)

I was watching a Gong DVD featuring Theo Travis just the other night. He really stood out, and this was with Didier Malherbe next to him.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    But I didn't know Jonas was ever involved before. Is he on any Tangent recordings? (Historically, I'm not good at remembering Tangent lineups.)
    In my best Professor Farnsworth voice, "Oh my, yes." In fact, the only two studio albums he wasn't on were the last two, Down And Out In Paris And London and COMM.

excellent news

Sick line-up indeed! And yes, Jonas has been involved with The Tangent in the past, the first 3 albums if I'm not mistaken (which I might be). I concur that the inclusion of David Longdon could move them into the top class of prog bands of all time. I never disliked Andy's singing, but I kept wondering what they would sound like with a truly excellent vocalist. This looks to me like the best Tangent collective yet, and hugely anticipated! - - - - Jeff

Here's some more information from Andy. Apologies if this is already posted elsewhere on this site:

Hi Folks,
    Hope you're all well and to assure you that we are still very much here and hard at work on our new album.

And in case you didn't know - JONAS is back with us!:

The Tangent are very happy indeed to announce that Jonas Reingold will return to the project for the forthcoming album "Le Sacre Du Travail". Jonas, who is a founder member of The Tangent and has played on 4 studio and 2 live albums with the band in the past. For the majority of prog music fans he needs no introduction, the charismatic and acrobatic bass virtuoso from the Flower Kings and Karmakanik has established himself at the top of the prog virtuosos list over the past 15 years. Jonas' return also heralds the first ever collaboration between himself and Gavin Harrison (drums) - a mouthwatering treat for rhythm section enthusiasts the world over. The recording project has been a lot of fun and Jonas has contributed all the bass to all the pieces - this is not a cameo appearance. His involvement with The Tangent does not affect his position with any other artists, Jonas has just returned home from a highly successful tour with The Flower Kings. During that tour all of us decided to keep his name a secret in order to keep the focus on those gigs. Tangent illuminatii will now realise that this new album features a very similar lineup to "Not As Good As The Book". The Tangent Website www.thetangent.org has much more information and a new snippet where for the rest of today you can hear the new band with all personnel for the very first time. Jonas may well join us here, but at this precise moment he's on a tourbus somewhere between Hamburg and Copenhagen. It is F***ing great to have him back.

The Tangent Lineup for this album is therefore: (in order of joining the LSDT project)
    Andy Tillison (Po90 & Big Big Train collaborator) - Vocals, Electronic Guitars & Keyboards
    Theo Travis (Steve Wilson Band, Soft Machine, Gong) - Saxes, Flutes & Clarinet
    Jakko Jakszyk (King Crimson Projekt, Level 42, Kompendium etc) - Lead Guitar & Vocals
    David Longdon (Big Big Train) Vocal Arrangements and Vocals
    Gavin Harrison (Porcupine Tree, Stickmen, King Crimson) - Drums
    Jonas Reingold (The Flower Kings, Kaipa, Karmakanik) - Bass Guitar
    With special guest Rikard Sjoblom (Beardfish, Gungfly, Bootcut) - Spoken Voice

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    You know, I totally forgot that TFK was involved in The Tangent. Guess it's been a while since I've listened to those albums.

This is one outstanding group of musicians. So much so that it almost seems likely that it will fail to match ridiculously high expectations. I surely expect to buy it and enjoy it, no matter. Andy Tillison has been quite consistent with the quality of releases by the Tangent.

Cool to see that Rikard Sjoblom is returning the "voice" favor after Andy did the spoken voice intro on The Void for Beardfish. Sure would like to see them really get together on a musical project rather than just spoken word bits.

Maybe "The Raven..." might have some album of the year competition yet.

Jefferson James
    Great news, and the cample sounds fantastic. Looking forward to hearing this!

Fantastic lineup. Looking forward to hearing what results.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

I'm with everyone else... the lineup is almost TOO good! I wish them the best of luck with the new album!
    "The mountains are calling and I must go" - John Muir

"To breathe the same air as the angels, you must go to Tahoe" - Mark Twain