Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: NCAA Basketball Tournament 2013

NCAA Basketball Tournament 2013

I couldn't see if anyone started this already, but if it hasn't, let the Madness begin!! My favourite time of the sports year is starts next week with Selection Sunday. I think that this will be the most wide open tournment ever. There are no clear favourites (maybe Duke), but there are potential #4 seeds that would have been #1 seeds a month ago. And what to think about mid-majors like Gonzaga and New Mexico getting high seeds?

This should be fun...
    "The woods would be very silent if the only birds that sang were those who sang best..." - Henry David Thoreau

I normally don't pay attention to college hoops but this year I'm following the Hurricanes (who just won their conference championship). Lots of excitement in this town over this (despite the college team being dwarfed by the NBA team). I expect the Hurricanes to at least make it to the sweet sixteen. I honestly don't know how they won that game yesterday. They were sloppy, and they turned the ball over repeatedly. I think the other was just worse. They couldn't capitalize on all those turnovers. Anyway, we'll see what happens. Go 'Caines.

Quote Originally Posted by gryphs also View Post
    My favourite time of the sports year is starts next week with Selection Sunday. I think that this will be the most wide open tournment ever.

This should be fun...

I actually start tuning college basketball out on Selection Sunday. I most enjoy the conference season and the conference tournaments. By the NCAA tournament, after watching since November I find I'm losing interest, and I often prefer the NIT in any case.
    There's nowt so queer as folk

I've followed this year pretty closely. Though I don't like them, I think that Duke should be a big favorite to win it all. They were a different team without Kelly, and the guy is back now. Sure they could lose to a good team that can match up well with them, but I think they're head and shoulders better than all of the other teams out there.

Die-hard Dookie since 1977. I hope they can get it done but I won't lose any sleep if they don't. With Kelly, they can provide some pretty severe matchup headaches for a lot of teams; Kelly doesn't need to score to be effective. They've got some tough-as-nails guards in Cook and Thornton, and if Curry is hitting shots like his brother and dad, Duke should be OK. The freshman Sulaimon has looked to be in something of a funk over the last two weeks, though. Plumlee will get about 12 points and 10 boards per, win or lose. I hope he isn't on the charity stripe late in the game. K will probably go with a seven-man rotation as always this time of year, and if/when they lose it will be to a team with a lot of big, quick, nasty athletes and one or two stone cold ballers. Maybe someone like Louisville? Duke is still pretty much the most hated team in college basketball so they'll probably get everybody's best shot, but they should be used to that by now.

Curious to see how far the Zags can go. Olynyk is fun to watch and Stockton looks (but only looks) just like his dad.

Curious to watch St. Louis. They could be a team on a mission.

Curious to watch UCLA (AKA the home for wayward Tarheels) and the short-timer Muhammad. Haven't seen much PAC 10 this year.

My (sort-of) darkhorse final four pick is Georgetown. Curious to see how all the Big East teams will do as their conference implodes.

Not really sure that I like the way the conference landscapes are changing so radically. Guess I liked it better the way it used to be. Next thing you know Hawaii will be in the Atlantic 10.
    Hired on to work for Mr. Bill Cox, a-fixin' lawn mowers and what-not, since 1964.

"Arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon. It'll just knock over all the pieces, shit on the board, and strut about like it's won anyway." Anonymous

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Go Evansville!

Oh thats right...

Anyway, should be a fun tourney. The lack of a big standout makes this years anticipation grow and grow.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    F the Hoyas!!!

My favorite sporting event, although usually a disappointed Pitt fan.

As with almost every sport though, the season is too long.
    Last edited by Camelogue; 03-12-2013 at 01:03 PM. Reason: add

Quote Originally Posted by Reginod View Post
    Die-hard
    Curious to watch UCLA (AKA the home for wayward Tarheels) and the short-timer Muhammad. Haven't seen much PAC 10 this year.

My (sort-of) darkhorse final four pick is Georgetown. Curious to see how all the Big East teams will do as their conference implodes.

Not really sure that I like the way the conference landscapes are changing so radically. Guess I liked it better the way it used to be. Next thing you know Hawaii will be in the Atlantic 10.
    I can tell you something about Pac 12/UCLA. Shabazz is a lottery pick but not sure how effective he is going to be in the NBA at 6'5" and is kind of a tweener. He is very good catching and shooting and getting points off of offensive boards. He is not as athletic as some might think and his defense suffers for it but he is a very talented basketball player. His body is very mature for 18 year old. The most unusual player I have ever seen though is Kyle Anderson. He is 6'9" who can handle the ball. They call him slow-mo as he is not really quick but he sees everything. Right now he is playing the 4 for his rebounding. One more year some more muscle and this guy is going to be a star. As for the NC transfers, who by the way were heavily recruited by UCLA all of them being west coast players, Larry Drew II has been a pleasant surprise. He set the single season record for assists all time at UCLA. Looking at their history you should know how big of a deal that is. He is a first team all Pac 12 player. I also think he leads the nation in assist to turnover ratio or he is very close to leading. The Wear twins are a mixed bag. This year Travis had some very good offensive numbers until he suffered a concussion against Arizona two weeks ago and then a sprained ankle just before last weeks games. His brother on the other hand is lost out there. These guys have been asked to play the 5 and the 4 and they aren't fit for those but with josh Smith leaving and Tony Parker being a freshman there is little choice. Neither one can lay any defense. The 5 is the difference from UCLA being a decent team and a great one. Yes they can beat the hell out of Arizona but then stink up the joint against Wazzu.

For the rest of the Pac I think Arizona is overrated by a mile, Oregon played well early but have faded a bit at the end which allowed UCLA to sneak back in to take the conference. A lot of that had to do with their freshman point guard Dominic Artis
    who got hurt mid season and has not regained his early season form. California might be the top team playing right now except they lost to Stanford in a game, if they won, could have given them the conference title. They have a very good coach in Mike Montgomery. Allen Crabbe was the Pac 12 POY. Colorado could have a run in them but they have been very inconsistent this year after doing well last year. Spencer Dinwidie is a pretty good player.

That is about it on who is going to go to the tourney.

I like Georgetown as well. I think they will make the final four.
    Last edited by Garion81; 03-12-2013 at 10:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Garion81 View Post
    As for the NC transfers, who by the way were heavily recruited by UCLA all of them being west coast players, Larry Drew II has been a pleasant surprise. He set the single season record for assists all time at UCLA. Looking at their history you should know how big of a deal that is. He is a first team all Pac 12 player. I also think he leads the nation in assist to turnover ratio or he is very close to leading.
    That's information that a lot of people around here might be surprised to hear (can't wait to bring it up to my UNC-grad buddies at work ). Drew II was a walking turnover at Carolina and he got (unfairly) raked over the coals and tossed under the bus by a lot of Tarheel faithful. Ironic thing was, he announced that he was leaving just as he was starting to play better. I think he just never quite meshed with the other players that were on the squad at the time, at least not trying to run Roy Williams' system. Then when Kendall Marshall (who had immediate chemistry on that team) stepped onto the court, Drew was obviously the odd guard out. I have "osmosed" enough to get the sense that he's had some big games at UCLA this year and some big plays in recent games and it's cool that it's worked out for him better in Westwood.

Great post! Nice to hear so much from someone who keeps a closer eye on the other conferences.
    Hired on to work for Mr. Bill Cox, a-fixin' lawn mowers and what-not, since 1964.

"Arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon. It'll just knock over all the pieces, shit on the board, and strut about like it's won anyway." Anonymous

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

Hoping that Wichita State does indeed get an at-large bid on Sunday (they should). Also hoping, as always, that KU and K-State get knocked out ASAP so their completely annoying fans will shut the hell up...

Quote Originally Posted by Reginod View Post
    That's information that a lot of people around here might be surprised to hear (can't wait to bring it up to my UNC-grad buddies at work ). Drew II was a walking turnover at Carolina and he got (unfairly) raked over the coals and tossed under the bus by a lot of Tarheel faithful. Ironic thing was, he announced that he was leaving just as he was starting to play better. I think he just never quite meshed with the other players that were on the squad at the time, at least not trying to run Roy Williams' system. Then when Kendall Marshall (who had immediate chemistry on that team) stepped onto the court, Drew was obviously the odd guard out. I have "osmosed" enough to get the sense that he's had some big games at UCLA this year and some big plays in recent games and it's cool that it's worked out for him better in Westwood.

Great post! Nice to hear so much from someone who keeps a closer eye on the other conferences.
    Believe me, there was a lot of worry that Drew II was not a good player and that he was really the only option at point. He struggled through half the season with his shot. He hit that jumper against Washington to win the game at the buzzer and he seems to have a bit more confidence now. It certainly will help his ball distribution as well if he can hit some jumpers.
    Oh and watch for the top teams from the mountain west conference. They are pretty good this year along with Gonzaga.

Which Bo Ryan Badger team will show up for both the BIG tournament and the dance?

That's the local media talking.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

I agree, Steve. Probably the most enigmatic (or maybe schitzophrenic) team in the country this year. Every time I think I have them figured out, I end up being wrong.
    "The woods would be very silent if the only birds that sang were those who sang best..." - Henry David Thoreau

Did see this morning that Maryland beat Duke yesterday. Not that Maryland is going anywhere, just a moral victory for their program.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

When does the tournament start anyway?

UM vs NC State at 1pm today.

Badgers/Indiana at 1:40 (Badgers try to go 2-0 against IU this year)
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

Oddly enough the ONLY player that showed up for Duke yesterday was Sulaimon, who had been in the doghouse for a few weeks. :| The rest of 'em played like they were asleep. Could be another quick out if they don't get their s#!t together.

NC State - Miami should be good. I'm wondering which Pack team will show up. Usually they step up in big games.

The tournament starts next week. UCLA beats Arizona for the third time this year and I think they will still end up with a lower seed. I cannot fathom the national media when it comes to the west coast 2 wins in December outweigh 3 in January through March.? Really?

Tough for Jordan Adams broke his foot on the last play of the game last night
    Last edited by Garion81; 03-16-2013 at 02:45 PM. Reason: Bad eyesight

Damn Hurricanes can' t protect the ball. Turnovers are gonna kill ' em.

If you are looking for a good bracketbuster in your brackets this year I would recomend the Akron Zips. I follow the MAC and as usual the conference is underated this year. Akron has won 19 in a row and assuming they win the MAC tourney tonight (they are winning as I write this), I think they could be a sweet 16 team. Ohio should make the big dance too, but probably won't.

I also think the Big 10 is going to do a lot more damage this year than they have the past few years. The conference is very deep and the top half have been basically beating each other up for the past 2 months. Ohio State, Michigan State, Wisconson, Indiana, Michigan and even Minnesota are all quality teams and in some case are better than their records may indicate.

Steve Sly

The good Badger team showed up again today. That's 2 days in a row.

Could it be 3?

i play 5 sheets on ESPN's Tournament Challenge every year but never get close on any of them. still enjoy filling them out though. just wish UConn was a part of it this year.
    "She said you are the air I breathe
    The life I love, the dream I weave."

Unevensong - Camel

Quote Originally Posted by gryphs also View Post
    I couldn't see if anyone started this already, but if it hasn't, let the Madness begin!! My favourite time of the sports year is starts next week with Selection Sunday. I think that this will be the most wide open tournment ever. There are no clear favourites (maybe Duke), but there are potential #4 seeds that would have been #1 seeds a month ago. And what to think about mid-majors like Gonzaga and New Mexico getting high seeds?

This should be fun...
    New Mexico is an under the radar team that could do big things IMO. In fact I even think they are a potential final 4 team depending on how their bracket ends up working out. I am going to have them as a major spolier in my brackets this year.

Gonzaga is good, but not at the level they have been in past years IMO.

Steve Sly

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    New Mexico is an under the radar team that could do big things IMO. In fact I even think they are a potential final 4 team depending on how their bracket ends up working out. I am going to have them as a major spolier in my brackets this year.

Gonzaga is good, but not at the level they have been in past years IMO.

Steve Sly
    Ya know what.......after taking a little closer look at Gonzaga and who they have played this year, maybe I am underestimating them. They are looking better to me after a bit more research. Being in the mid-west I rarely get to see them play on tv.

Steve Sly