Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: NCAA Basketball Tournament 2013

Shaka's name is being bandied around as a possibility for the now vacant UCLA job. Others are Brad Stevens and Billy Donovan. We shall see.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Florida Gulf Coast 4eva.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Everything that I said earlier in this thread turned out to be totally wrong (especially the Akron pick), but so far I am doing good in my brackets. I'm in 2nd place in one and 4th in the other (out of 20). FGCU is a great story and part of what makes the tournement so much fun.

Steve Sly

I'm rooting for FGCU to embarrass Donovan's Gators. They've already made history as the first 15 seed to get to where they are, and I hope their acquired bravado sticks around a while longer.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    I'm rooting for FGCU to embarrass Donovan's Gators. They've already made history as the first 15 seed to get to where they are, and I hope their acquired bravado sticks around a while longer.
    How much fun are FGCU to watch? I just love their enthusiasm, like kids on a schoolyard with nothing to lose. And I'm so thankful for this because nearly all the teams I usually pull for are elliminated. I saw some of the Georgetown game, but I made sure to watch every second of the win against SDSU. Those SDSU guys had a look at the end of the game like they had no idea what hit them. And they played tough D in the first half, but had no answers in the 2nd.

I know the Gators will be highly favored on Friday night, as they should be. But anyone not giving FGCU a shot at winning is just foolish. They are legit and on a roll, anything is possible. If they lose, its still been an incredible story.

BTW, anyone look up photos of the FGCU coache's wife? I did!

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks2009 View Post
    How much fun are FGCU to watch? I just love their enthusiasm, like kids on a schoolyard with nothing to lose. And I'm so thankful for this because nearly all the teams I usually pull for are elliminated. I saw some of the Georgetown game, but I made sure to watch every second of the win against SDSU. Those SDSU guys had a look at the end of the game like they had no idea what hit them. And they played tough D in the first half, but had no answers in the 2nd.

I know the Gators will be highly favored on Friday night, as they should be. But anyone not giving FGCU a shot at winning is just foolish. They are legit and on a roll, anything is possible. If they lose, its still been an incredible story.

BTW, anyone look up photos of the FGCU coache's wife? I did!
    Florida is a 13.5 point favorite, which seems about right, IMO. Fla Gulf Coast *is* a legit team - after watching them against good competition, I can see that they were definitely better than the seeding that they got -- although you can't fault the committee too much for this, given the team's schedule and the fact that they've been a D-I basketball school for all of 2 years.

Florida is one of the best teams in the country (a real candidate to win it all, IMO), though they have been subject to concentration lapses all season and will sometimes underperform against lesser teams. Could they be thinking ahead to a Sunday afternoon regional final against either Michigan or Kansas? If they are, then we could have another upset on our hands.

The Buckeyes fall on their face tonight.

Just hoping the Shocks make it to Saturday...

same thing is happening this year that happens every year - my final four teams in my best bracket start dropping like flies starting in the sweet 16. Indiana and Kansas are already gone now it looks like Ohio St will fall as well.
    "She said you are the air I breathe
    The life I love, the dream I weave."

Unevensong - Camel

Quote Originally Posted by oilersfan View Post
    Just hoping the Shocks make it to Saturday...
    Did you say PAST Saturday, Brian?
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Shocker's all the way!!!!!!!!!
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Oh well, it was fun while it lasted with FGCU. I thought maybe when they got off to that fast start vs. Florida they had a chance. But big time D and too many unforced turnovers did them in. One underdog left, Wichita State, first final 4 in what, 48 years? Loved that they knocked off Ohio State.

Gators are gettin' an ass kickin.'

Whooooaaaaaa gruesome injury. Gotta be hard for either team to focus after that.
    Hired on to work for Mr. Bill Cox, a-fixin' lawn mowers and what-not, since 1964.

"Arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon. It'll just knock over all the pieces, shit on the board, and strut about like it's won anyway." Anonymous

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Louisville looked completely dominate.

Tough tough injury. Double fracture, out a year.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

As you can imagine it's been a great couple of weeks here in Wichita. College basketball is easily the most popular sport in Kansas but its rare that the Shocks get more notice than KU (or even KState) around this time of year so it's been fun to not only watch Wichita State but also get in a few lighthearted (well, some of them) verbal jabs at the KU and KState fans. As a WSU alum this is going to rank right up there with my favorite Shocker sports memories and I couldn't be prouder of how the guys have played in their four tournament games. Regardless of what happens this weekend coach Marshall and the boys have had a helluva ride...

I guess now my team to root for is Wichita State. I was surprised by some co-workers who never even heard of the university before. OK, I admit to not knowing their name was the Shockers until the tourney, but knew the school existed. And what has it been, 48 since their last final 4? I wasn't even born yet!

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Louisville looked completely dominate.

Tough tough injury. Double fracture, out a year.
    Before yesterday, I would have said "Anyone but Louisville!", but admit now I have some sympathy after seeing that injury. So it actually makes it a tough call since they will play WSU.

Louisville looks pretty tough to beat. I don't think that Wichita State has much of a chance to beat them. Michigan doesn't match up very well with them and wouldn't do much better, IMO. Syracuse is the only team of the three that has a real chance of beating them, IMO, as they already beat them once.

And how about the Rutgers coach? Couldn't Rutgers basketball have managed to come in 12th in their conference *without* the verbal and physical abuse?

http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/03/sport/...html?hpt=hp_t2

The Rutgers situation is horrible. Now I'm a huge supporter of their football program, but never really follow them in basketball -for my local team I support Seton Hall. If I did, I couldn't possibly stick up for Rice. The screaming at players, cursing at them, call them faggots, not a big deal really, they are big boys and can handle it. Bill Parcells and Bobby Knight could do that with the best of them. But physically abusing them, throwing basketballs at their heads, that is not acceptable. OK, I bet Bobby Knight did stuff like that. But at least he was a championship coach -that would ALMOST make it forgivable. All this nonsense, and Rice had a losing record. I knew he would get fired the moment I saw the video. Good riddence. Maybe they will get a good coach out of all this.

That Rutgers thing was deplorable. Someone showed the video to LeBron and he said if he had a kid on that team he'd kick the coach's ass. Apparently one of the assistant coaches played several years in the NBA and tried to report this to the AD. He was fired. Guess who is suing the university for wrongful termination?
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Apparently one of the assistant coaches played several years in the NBA and tried to report this to the AD. He was fired. Guess who is suing the university for wrongful termination?
    Are you sure about that? I haven't heard that confirmed. I thought he left the program. Pernetti is actually a good AD, I hope he didn't fire the assistant over this. Wouldn't make sense considering he DID suspend and fine Rice after the initial video was presented to him.

From what I read, Pernetti saw the video back in December and suspended the coach for three games. Once ESPN got the video and went public with it, then the coach got fired.

http://deadspin.com/rutgers-finally-...rice-468213503

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/04/sp...aces.html?_r=0

The video, which was compiled by Eric Murdock, a former Rutgers director of player personnel, showed Rice not only physically going after his players — throwing basketballs at them from point-blank range, kicking and shoving them — but also verbally chastising them with gay slurs. Murdock’s lawyer said he presented the video to Pernetti and other Rutgers officials in November.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks2009 View Post
    Are you sure about that? I haven't heard that confirmed. I thought he left the program. Pernetti is actually a good AD, I hope he didn't fire the assistant over this. Wouldn't make sense considering he DID suspend and fine Rice after the initial video was presented to him.
    Eric Murdoch was fired over this. The University said it was for "insubordination" rather than anything to do with this, but Murdoch states otherwise. He is the one who released the tape to the media, in retaliation for his firing.

Just announced that Rutgers AD Tim Pernetti was fired over the Rice incident. The school president is supposedly next.