Thread: JAZZ Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    Agree!!.
    Good call!!
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post
    This is an album I really wanted to love, but it just never reached me. I'm an enormous Frisell and Holland fan, and I have a huge appreciation for the role Elvin played in Coltrane's music. For me this album was not greater than the sum of its parts, and comes across as simply a "big-name" record company idea. All three of these players have been involved in serious high-energy-level music, and this disc explores very little if any of that background. Not that there's anything wrong with understated, but it was a missed opportunity. My opinion only!
    Well, it was Bill's date and that's where he was. We actually spoke at the time, and I remember telling him I’d just heard it and he quickly asked "do you like it?" It’s not my favorite Frisell record, but I had to laugh.
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    Well, it was Bill's date and that's where he was. We actually spoke at the time, and I remember telling him I’d just heard it and he quickly asked "do you like it?" It’s not my favorite Frisell record, but I had to laugh.
    Interesting. I always appreciate your insights John, as they're so often based in first-hand experience. When you say "that's where he was", I would counter with Blues Dream, which was also where he was at that point, and which is an album I find substantially more interesting and thoughtfully put together. Not apples to apples, though. For trio recordings, when I put the FHJ trio up next to either the prior trio work with Kermit and Joey or the later East/West sessions, it comes up wanting. Even the trio side with Ron Carter and Paul Motian sounds more cohesive to me, but perhaps that's due to the simpatico Frisell and Motian share.

Actually, I think I might just need to go listen to all of these recordings again.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Actually, I think I might just need to go listen to all of these recordings again.
    Nice!.:
    I'm in too: Frisell weekend coming up
    Pura Vida!.

Duke Ellington.

"please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Interesting. I always appreciate your insights John, as they're so often based in first-hand experience. When you say "that's where he was", I would counter with Blues Dream, which was also where he was at that point, and which is an album I find substantially more interesting and thoughtfully put together. Not apples to apples, though. For trio recordings, when I put the FHJ trio up next to either the prior trio work with Kermit and Joey or the later East/West sessions, it comes up wanting. Even the trio side with Ron Carter and Paul Motian sounds more cohesive to me, but perhaps that's due to the simpatico Frisell and Motian share.

I do prefer Blues Dream too, to be clear. I saw it live, too, but it really is a standout album amongst a large discography that has no weak albums, IMO...though I absolutely gravitate to some over others, no doubt,

The Holland/Jones is one don’t play a lot, but in the right frame of mind....and not expecting Elvin to be pushing it hard....it still works for me.

But just because Blues Dream and with H&J were from around the same time, they were very different sessions (duh, yeah), and (equally stating the obvious), Bill's objectives were different. So each one was where he was when he made it. I’ve been lucky enough to get to know Bill better than some others who I know, and one thing I can say is this: where he is from one day to the next can be very different! It really is how he is....

Cheers!
    John

But Blues Dream? Now that’s a very special record.
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

Trombone master Julian Priester is in dire need of financial help to defray medical and living expenses.Please help if you are able to.

https://www.youcaring.com/julianpriester-899305

Thanks to mogrooves for posting that Hank Mobley video - for whatever reasons, I'd never made the effort to check his music out - well, I've put that to right now! - & very much enjoying Soul Station & No Room for Squares.

Meanwhile - less heralded than the scenes in London or Leeds or Manchester, nevertheless, for quite a while now, Edinburgh has boasted a thriving jazz scene. Partly inspired by the various members of the Rae family, & boasting fine players such as pianist Brian Kellock, trumpeter Colin Steele, & Steele's long-term collaborator, pianist Dave Milligan.

But the other great influence on the scene, & on Scottish jazz in general, is the great Tommy Smith - who has played a remarkable role in leading the Scottish National Jazz Orchestra, as well as playing & recording with many young Scottish musicians. Smith, who came from a rough housing scheme in Edinburgh, was something of a prodigy, playing with the John Rae collective whilst still in his early teens,before crossing the Atlantic to study at the Berklee School of Music in Boston. By coincidence, he was born on the very day that Coltrane passed away - & Coltrane (along with Garbarek) has been the main influence on his playing. However, until this year, Smith had never played any Coltrane music - however, this year, to coincide with the 50th anniversary of Trane's passing, & his own 50th birthday, Smith has recorded the superb Embodying the Light: A Tribute to Coltrane.

Here's a video of his Quartet playing Smith's own composition Transformation, then Trane's Dear Lord, a reinterpretation of Trane's version of Summertime, & concluding with a superb reading of Naima:

Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    Thanks for that - I'd totally forgotten about this album!
    David

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    But just because Blues Dream and with H&J were from around the same time, they were very different sessions (duh, yeah), and (equally stating the obvious), Bill's objectives were different.
    Dig. Thanks for your input.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by TCC View Post
    Nice!.:
    I'm in too: Frisell weekend coming up
    Gang:
    Having a really good time w/:
    East / West.

http://www.billfrisell.com/discography/east-west

👍🏼

Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by TCC View Post
    Gang:
    Having a really good time w/:
    East / West.

http://www.billfrisell.com/discography/east-west

👍🏼
    I saw the "West" version live around the time that came out, in a smallish room, doing a very similar set. It was astounding. And I really love the different approaches of Tony Scherr and Viktor Krauss; each brings a very unique voice to the material.
    David

Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

This the title track from Far From Over, released by the Vijay Iyer Sextet earlier this year - I just picked up on it following a recommendation by John Fordham in one of those year end listicle thingys in The Guardian -it's an excellent collection.

I'm going to cross-post this here and in the Christmas Music thread:

I had a chance to see drummer Matt Wilson's Christmas Tree-o in a local club last night. We're fortunate, as he has a long-standing connection with the jazz studies department here at UNI. Anyway, a more festive, humor-filled, musical, and just plain fun experience you'll not have. They go from here to Des Moines, then to the Green Mill in Chicago and the Jazz Standard in NYC. Catch them if you can - you won't be sorry!
    David

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I saw the "West" version live around the time that came out, in a smallish room, doing a very similar set. It was astounding. And I really love the different approaches of Tony Scherr and Viktor Krauss; each brings a very unique voice to the material.
    Pura Vida!.

Duke Ellington.

Short documentary about seventy four year old free jazz saxophonist Kalaparusha Maurice McIntyre
    Last edited by hippypants; 12-19-2017 at 12:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    Short documentary about seventy four year old free jazz saxophonist Kalaparusha Maurice McIntyre
    +1.

RIP Kalaparusha.

RIP Roswell Rudd.Thanks for the music.

Klaus Doldinger, pretty nice concert

I don't know if it is the right place to post or if it has been already mentioned but this might interest some Jazz (and even Prog) fans:

Celebrating his 75th Birthday, Warner Music France has released a limited edition 5CD box set of music by belgian guitarist Philip Catherine, titled "Philip Catherine Selected Works 1974-1982".

The set includes his early recordings which were much more adventurous electric/eclectic/fusion-like than the more mainstream soft jazz path he followed later during his career (and up to this day). His first three records ( September Man, Guitars and Babel) are essentials and were unavailable (or very hard to get) so far on CD. The box also includes a very nice 24-page booklet and I have no issues regarding the sound quality (excellent mastering work). There's also a previously unreleased CD in this (very affordable) package. Worth to check it out.
    More infos and review here:

https://jazzineurope.mfmmedia.nl/201...set-cd-review/
    Last edited by Mr.Krautman; 01-07-2018 at 09:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Krautman View Post
    Celebrating his 75th Birthday, Warner Music France has released a limited edition 5CD box set of music by belgian guitarist Philip Catherine, titled "Philip Catherine Selected Works 1974-1982".

The set includes his early recordings which were much more adventurous electric/eclectic/fusion-like than the more mainstream soft jazz path he followed later during his career (and up to this day). His first three records ( September Man, Guitars and Babel) are essentials and were unavailable (or very hard to get) so far on CD. The box also includes a very nice 24-page booklet and I have no issues regarding the sound quality (excellent mastering work). There's also a previously unreleased CD in this (very affordable) package. Worth to check it out.
    More infos and review here:

https://jazzineurope.mfmmedia.nl/201...set-cd-review/

Mmmhhh!!!... the three albums you cite are indeed much-sought after by me (I've got the two Coryell colab releases from that era) but I'm afraid that given the years of the title, it doesn't include Streams (from 71) that's just been reissued by a Japanese label.... or it doesn't have the Jasper VHH collabs as well.

a bit of a missed opportunity, methinks

BTW, September Man's cover was shot about 500m where I currently live.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.