Page 62 of 147 FirstFirst ... 125258596061626364656672112 ... LastLast
Results 1,526 to 1,550 of 3671

Thread: JAZZ Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    Yeah, thanks for the recommends. There was a seller over on Ebay that was selling a bunch of Clean Feed music, but I had not heard of most of it. <snip> Most all of it was free jazz, and it varied as to what you might expect of free jazz, and then some went off even deeper, and wasn't my thing. A couple of them were just, well, hardly musical, I'll leave it at that.
    Yes, which is why it's definitely a label with releases to sample before buying unless you know the artist already. But there were some solid recs in some of the previous posts.

I listened to some of that Natsuki Tamura Quartet.
    Natsuki Tamura is the husband of Satoko Fujii, if you didn't know. She is a rather prolific free jazz pianist with a pile of releases from all kinds of configurations (trio, quartet, jazz orchestras, etc.). Usually of most interest to prog fans are the quartet albums with Tatsuya Yoshida. There is also a group config she started called Gato Libre where she plays accordion.

That October Trio sounded pretty good too.
    That's a very solid album. There are cheaper copies on Amazon. Got mine for $5 shipped.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay.Dee View Post
    A handful of CleanFeed's (live) releases I would recommend:

4 Corners: https://cleanfeed-records.com/product/4-corners/
    Great ... Thanks JD!

N.W.:
    4 Corners (Ken Vandermark/Paal Nilssen-Love/Adam Lane/Magnus Broo) - Alive in Lisbon (54 minutes of pure energy!!)

More info:
    DVD: https://cleanfeed-records.com/produc...in-lisbon-dvd/

Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

what do you guys think of the German trio Jazz Pistols? I got a few of theirs recently and just now giving them a good spin. I really like em. a tight trio for sure and excellent musicians. the music so far seems well balanced among the three with nothing excessive from any one member of the band. solid stuff! enjoying Superstring ATM. they do a great cover of Weather Report's Three Views Of A Secret on this one.

Sex In A Pan (Superstring/2010)

Old Fart (Superstring/2010)

Last edited by proggosaurus; 09-11-2016 at 08:39 PM.
    i.ain't.dead.irock

I'm a fan of the Pistols. Try to find the live DVD if you can.....amazing technique from all. Very fun.
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

One of the best albums in recent memory within a grey area between abstract jazz, chamber music, academic avantgarde and free improvisation is last year's Chamber 4 recorded by Marcelo dos Reis (guitar, voice), Valentin Ceccaldi (cello, voice), Luis Vicente (trumpet) and Theo Ceccaldi (violin).

There are very very few records on this level of abstraction that after a full seance make me press play again. Instant classic.

Physical: http://www.fmr-records.com/artistres...tin%20Ceccaldi
    Digital: https://chamber4.bandcamp.com/

Not sure if i posted this here previously.In any event, this download only release from 2006 keeps impressing me with every play.Bob Bell on guitar,Ian Hood on drums.Enjoy.

https://bobbell.bandcamp.com/album/sort-it-out
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Quote Originally Posted by proggosaurus View Post
    what do you guys think of the German trio Jazz Pistols?
    Never heard of them, but it takes some guts to tackle a bass-heavy Flecktones cover and pull it off. I'm impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiral View Post
    Never heard of them, but it takes some guts to tackle a bass-heavy Flecktones cover and pull it off. I'm impressed.
    Bassist Christoph Victor Kaiser has some pretty crazy technique...definitely check You Tube. But he's all about the groove, despite all the tapping, etc.

And another recent one recommended to me on other music forum: James Falzone's Renga Ensemble - "The Room Is".

It's a stellar reeds-only lineup and the music is very rich in texture, melodies and rhythms.

James Falzone: Bb and Eb clarinets
    Ken Vandermark: Bb clarinet, bass clarinet, baritone saxophone
    Keefe Jackson: tenor saxophone, bass clarinet, contra Bb bass clarinet
    Jason Stein: bass clarinet
    Ben Goldberg: Bb clarinet, contra Eb alto clarinet
    Ned Rothenberg: Bb clarinet, alto saxophone

Other releases on the leader's label Allos Musica are worth checking too.

http://allosmusica.org/allosdocuments/renga-theroomis
    http://allosdocuments.bandcamp.com/album/the-room-is

Quote Originally Posted by Jay.Dee View Post
    ]James Falzone]
    I own a couple of his KLANG albums; the s/t live and Tea Music.

Good player.
    Last edited by walt; 09-23-2016 at 02:06 AM.

An interesting list of unissued jazz/avant/fusion live recordings, mostly recorded at European locations in the late 60s-early 80s period. I would love to see many of them getting an official release by Cuneiform, ECM, Promising Music, FMP, Intact or similar label.

http://www.plosin.com/milesahead/tapes.aspx?c=other

Two sessions that were,afaik, never reissued on cd officially will be released in Japan next month.Chick Corea-The Sun,from 1970, with Steve Grossman,Dave Holland,Jack DeJohnette and Steve Jackson(percussion), and Marion Brown-Le Temps Fou,from 1968,with Gunter Hampel,Ambrose Jackson(trumpet),Barre Phillips, and Steve McCall.They're expensive SHM discs but i pre-ordered 'em both from HMV Japan.Here's where i first heard about these.

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/ind...u-cd-reissues/

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    ^ tempting...
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

I'm playing the heck out of Brad Mehldau's Blues and Ballads, a great 2016 release.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I think it's great that most of you guys are listening to the newer younger jazz artists and I've dug some of the stuff that's been posted here. But I gotta admit, I still get a lot of mileage out of some of the jazz veterans who are still around and very much on their game.

This is hardly a new video, but I just discovered it last night and my jaw was on the floor for most of those 42 minutes! These two guys have always been geniuses in my book and to hear them together, taking improvisation to such a high level is pure joy... for me at least.

This one's for Cone (WideOpenEars):

Happy tidings for fans of the Jimmy Giuffre 3.Emanem records is re-issuing the 2cd live 1961 set previously released on hatArt as Emphasis/Flight(and oop for years).Six unissued tracks from the 1961 Bremen concert will be included in this release, and two studio tracks will be included on this release that weren't on the 2cd ECM album Jimmy Giuffre 3-1961.I have the hat ART Emphasis/Flight set but, needless to say, i'm down for this, big time.My pre-order is in.Link provided.

http://emanemdisc.com/cd-jazz.html#5208
    Last edited by walt; 10-09-2016 at 06:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    Happy tidings for fans of the Jimmy Giuffre 3.Emanem records is re-issuing the 2cd live 1961 set previously released on hatArt as Emphasis/Flight(and oop for years).Six unissued tracks from the 1961 Bremen concert will be included in this release, and two studio tracks will be included on this release that weren't on the 2cd ECM album Jimmy Giuffre 3-1961.I have the hat ART Emphasis/Flight set but, needless to say, i'm down for this, big time.My prorder is in.Link provided.

http://emanemdisc.com/cd-jazz.html#5208
    Definitely great news. I've always wondered why Eicher lopped off those 2 tracks. Given his propensity for being thorough, I'd guess the tapes were in bad shape for those particular tracks. If that's the case, their inclusion here must be a case of "but we have the vinyl", if you get my drift. IMO, those 2 Verve albums are the best Creed Taylor ever produced, and that includes the 6 he produced to start Impulse.

Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    Happy tidings for fans of the Jimmy Giuffre 3.Emanem records is re-issuing the 2cd live 1961 set previously released on hatArt as Emphasis/Flight(and oop for years).
    Great news. Although I will stick to my HatHut's edition, I know there are many fans interested in obtaining these recordings on CD.

Meanwhile I am still digesting my order from the FMR Records and I can't get enough of Amalgam releases I purchased. Especially the three-disc "Wipe Out" documenting their 1979 tour with Keith Rowe on guitar.

http://www.fmr-records.com/pdffiles/FMRCD11-L0203.pdf

The guitarist mainly known for his deconstructivist and textural work displays quite a different facet here. Big power chords and wild, often bluesy solos are the driving force of many extended jams. The style of the band may be defined as a rarely visited area mid-way between live Cream and Prime Time, with a healthy injection of free-jazz, however its foundation on blues, funk and swing makes it rather distinct to typical (usually Japanese) free-hard|jazz-rock units ploughing nearby.

The quartet sounds both free and structured at the same time, so it is neither directionless (as free-forms happen to become) nor rudimentary (as jazz/blues-rock can be). Great and unique balance within such a fiery music!
    Last edited by Jay.Dee; 10-10-2016 at 09:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I'm playing the heck out of Brad Mehldau's Blues and Ballads, a great 2016 release.
    That's definitely a good one. His more recent duo with Joshua Redman is making a good complement these days too.

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    This one's for Cone (WideOpenEars):

Thanks! Had not seen that before. I have an album they did, though.....can't recall the name right now. It's on my iPod, somewhere...

..Ah! Duo Brasil! And Frevo's the first track......listening to the whole album now!

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post
    ..Ah! Duo Brasil! And Frevo's the first track......listening to the whole album now!
    Apparently not easy to find.

Dug this one out.

Recorded 1972 w/ John Hicks/Reggie Workman/Alvin Queen

Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    Dug this one out.

Recorded 1972 w/ John Hicks/Reggie Workman/Alvin Queen
    A good 'un.Gonna dust this off,haven't spun it in a while.