Page 29 of 147 FirstFirst ... 192526272829303132333979129 ... LastLast

Thread: JAZZ Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    I listened to most of this when you posted it on the "NP" thread and thought it was really good! I'm not sure I'd consider it to be jazz though; doesn't seem to have much improvisation.
    But...but then we would have to ask "what is jazz" and we'll end up here all weekend.

Kind of on a Bill Evans kick this weekend. This should irritate my wife as much as when I go on a Stones kick.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Tigran Hamasyan - Mockroot (I just bought this album)

mmmhhh!!!... didn't know it was out yet

the guy's got links with two of my faves from these last years: Ibrahim Maalouf and Dhafer Youssef
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

High assay piano trio music from Joachim Kuhn's cd "From Time To Time Free", on CMP.Kuhn on piano, J.F.Jenny-Clark on double bass, Daniel Humair on drums.The tune is a cover of Coltrane's "Expression".Enjoy.

"please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Tony Williams - High Priest - 1974 FUSION

Didn't know Bill Laswell remixed this one.. now I do.
    Sounds much more earfriendly than my LP does.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Didn't know Bill Laswell remixed this one.. now I do. [/video]
    http://bigozine2.com/roio/?p=1650

Thanks - I found it too, but I'm not sure I get it:
    Was this never at legit album, and is it not available at all (second hand) unless for a trillion bucks?
    Nice freaky jack-bruce-bassolo on it of the roaring kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Kind of on a Bill Evans kick this weekend. This should irritate my wife as much as when I go on a Stones kick.
    Wow, she's a tough "crowd."

Didn't know Bill Laswell remixed this one.. now I do.
    Sounds much more earfriendly than my LP does.

Unreleased tracks, cool! I used to have it on vinyl. I restocked "Emergency!" on CD, but not this one. I love the way McLaughlin played in those days!

Listening to that Tony Williams Lifetime album refreshed my memory of that Chick Corea tune that seems to have a different title with every version. Here, it's called "To Whom it May Concern," but on McLaughlin's My Goal's Beyond, it was called "Waltz For Bill Evans" and on Joe Farrell's Quartet album, it's called "Song of the Wind." Every version is pretty radically different, but a great tune is a great tune!

This tune is yet another reason to hope that one day, soon, the Ornette Coleman record, Crisis will be reissued(for the first time on cd).This tune, imo, is magnificent.Crisis was recorded live at New York University in 1969 and released on Impulse.From what i've heard over the years, Ornette owns the rights and masters to Crisis.

Give this a listen.I hope you dig it.

Last edited by walt; 04-03-2015 at 05:54 PM.

Yesterday as I was driving my wife home from work, I turned on the radio and heard Coltrane playing "Blue Train." You know, as much as I love his '60s work on the "Impulse!" label, I think I enjoy his hard bop period the most... and especially the way he played when he was just beginning to transition between that and his more free modal period. I can't remember if I've posted this video elsewhere on this thread, but if I did, sorry; it's just that it's a great example of what I'm talking about. It's also interesting to hear him, Stan Getz and Oscar Peterson playing together; I'm not sure they ever did it before or since.

Last edited by No Pride; 04-04-2015 at 12:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    This tune is yet another reason to hope that one day, soon, the Ornette Coleman record, Crisis will be reissued(for the first time on cd).This tune, imo, is magnificent.

Give this a listen.I hope you dig it.
    Agree!.
    Walt, first time here ... my cup of tea too!.
    Thanks!.
    Last edited by TCC; 04-04-2015 at 06:23 PM.
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

Kind of early to make a best of list, but: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/m...s-of-2015.html

^^^^ I just picked up Jack DeJohnette: Made In Chicago (with Abrams, Threadgill, and Mitchell) and concur; a terrific set.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    A never issued live session from John Carter-Bobby Bradford Quintet will be released in April by the(legit) French label Dark Tree.The concert was in Pasadena CA on Nov 17 1975 and featured Carter on soprano sax and clarinet,Bradford on trumpet,Stanley Carter and Roberto Miranda on basses, and William Jeffrey on drums.

Here are three excerpts from this forthcoming cd.My pre-order is in.

https://darktree.bandcamp.com/track/...ream-excerpt-1

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    ^^^^ I just picked up Jack DeJohnette: Made In Chicago (with Abrams, Threadgill, and Mitchell) and concur; a terrific set.

Michael Brecker's swan song, "Pilgrimage" has been in my car stereo for the past 2 weeks. I love it! Can't believe he's been gone for 8 years already.

Featuring Jack DeJohnette, John Patitucci, Pat Metheny and piano duties split between Herbie Hancock and Brad Mehldau.

Michael Brecker's swan song, "Pilgrimage" has been in my car stereo for the past 2 weeks. I love it! Can't believe he's been gone for 8 years already.

Featuring Jack DeJohnette, John Patitucci, Pat Metheny and piano duties split between Herbie Hancock and Brad Mehldau.

Is this really OOP? Amazon had only used copies (one "new" copy from the Ukraine)
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Is this really OOP? Amazon had only used copies (one "new" copy from the Ukraine)
    Abstract Logix has it. I'm not that familiar with online stores, but it can't be OOP! Can it?

edit: The Jazz Record Mart in Chicago has it for $12

www.jazzmart.com

I'm not Brecker's biggest fan but I dig him on these dates:

Last edited by mogrooves; 04-08-2015 at 09:05 PM.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Couldn't find any online samples but have been digging this a lot lately:

1972 LP with two side-long tracks, finally re-issued on CD late last year. (There was a CD-R release in the mid-90s which I am assuming was a boot.)

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    I'm not Brecker's biggest fan but I dig him on these dates:
    I always respect your opinion even when I don't agree with it, Mo, but I don't understand how you can dig MB on those dates, but not on others. It's not like there's a drastic fluctuation in quality on anything he plays on. When he played on that Horace Silver date, he was 21 years old and though he sounds great on it, his style wasn't fully formed yet; he doesn't weave in and out of the changes like he normally does. I might not have figured out it was him on my own, though I would've thought it was somebody who was influenced by him. But on those other tracks, he sounds very much like the Michael Brecker so many jazz fans are familiar with. It's possible to burn out on anybody's signature sound if you're over exposed to it... and Brecker has certainly been recorded quite a bit. Is that it? Just trying to understand.

BTW, that was a nice arrangement of Shorter's "Yes or No." I play a jazz gig once a month and I called that tune the last time I did it; always loved it but hadn't played it in a while.

That "Yes or No" performance is the shit.

Wow, she's a tough "crowd."
    You have no idea. I love the woman but our musical tastes are miles upon miles apart. She was the 70s girl with the all-in-one stereo in her dorm, a James Taylor poster on the wall, more 45s than albums (I mean a LOT of 45s), and Seals & Crofts playing quietly in the background. Maybe turning it up a little for "Summer Breeze". On occasion she has been known to play the stereo loud but she prefers music as a background, the less the guitar distortion or guitar solos the better. Loved all that dance boy-band crap from the late 90s, sixties folk music, hates anything with "too many notes". She has been a trouper and gone with me to Rush a few times, some blues shows. But then I've seen James Fucking Taylor so many times I've lost track.

RIP Paul Jeffrey, saxophonist, educator.Long time musical associate of Charles Mingus,played sax in Thelonious Monk's last ensemble.Saw him in one of Sam Rivers' big band incarnations.

Died at age 81.NYTimes obit linked below.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/04/09...html?referrer=