Page 11 of 147 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161111 ... LastLast

Thread: JAZZ Discussion

What's the name of Maupin's latest album? I didn't see any new release at Amazon. I really like the last one I picked up, which is Penumbra.

Oops....apparently not his latest release, but I was referring to Early Reflections. Been spinning that, as well as The Jewel in the Lotus.

I have a couple of tracks from Early Reflections on the Cryptogramophone ten year retrospective, Assemblage. It includes a DVD with some great film of Maupin playing some of this material in a Polish art gallery. http://cryptogramophone.com/#/catalo...lage-1998-2008

Bennie, not Bernie. Jeez, I'm striking out here...

Here's something you jazz piano fans will appreciate... or not? Paul Bley is a tough guy to satisfy, but I'm delighted he dug the Kenny Barron/Mino Cinelu record. And to think I read this while listening to Chick Corea do his best Bill Evans impersonation. Sorry, Chick!
    http://tedpanken.wordpress.com/2013/...y-around-2002/

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Nice article Reid.Thanks for posting it.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Your welcome, Walt! And BTW, I really like the Corea/Clarke/White Forever CD. Especially the acoustic trio disc.
    Makes me want to pick up the Corea/Gomez/Motian set as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    I really like the Corea/Clarke/White Forever CD. Especially the acoustic trio disc.
    Makes me want to pick up the Corea/Gomez/Motian set as well.
    I'd like to hear that too!

Corea plays this material with a lot of love and heart. Disc 2 goes electric and adds guitar. I don't know? It's good, but it doesn't feel as deep and satisfying. Besides, he already made that record in '73.

Corea plays this material with a lot of love and heart. Disc 2 goes electric and adds guitar. I don't know? It's good, but it doesn't feel as deep and satisfying. Besides, he already made that record in '73.
    It was the one with Gomez and Motian that I was interested in.

BTW, have you heard Chick's solo piano album, "Expressions" from '93? Great stuff! Mostly standards with a few originals like "Armando's Rhumba." I tried playing it for my dad (who had a 35 year career as an orchestral musician) and he thought it was too "out there." I reminded him that he's played a bunch of 20th century classical music that was at least as "out" and he said "yeah, but I'm not used to hearing that kind of harmony in jazz." Proves he was never much of a jazz aficionado.

That's a funny Blindfold test...one of the best I've read. I love those, but this one was raw, in a good way.
    Speaking of Kenny Barron, his album Sambao is one of my faves.....great Brasilian flavor.

I'd like to hear the Corea/Gomez/Motian disc, too.....
    I wonder what Paul Bley would say about Craig Taborn's new disc?

I haven't heard the solo disc, Ernie. But it sounds interesting. To be fair, disc 2 of Forever is pretty diverse. Chaka Khan isn't my favorite singer for jazz, but I enjoyed hearing something with vocals. And I hope to pick up the Gomez/Motian set at some point. I'm glad that performance was documented before Motian passed. I've been eying it each time I go downtown to the record shop. But I have to save a few bucks to pay the bills!

Your Dad must have been one hell of a musician. 35 years with the CSO is pretty impressive! I always enjoy listening to CSO broadcasts on the classical radio here. And BTW, Riccardo Muti is a big Gerry Mulligan fan. He was interviewed for a wonderful Mulligan documentary I have on the Age Of Steam CD/DVD re-issue. And there's some priceless footage of Mulligan and Jobim playing One Note Samba in Mulligan's apartment in the 1950s. There's a clip up on YouTube.

I've got that Forever recording...I like it. Chaka does a good job, but it's not awe-inspiring. I gotta say, Gayle Moran Corea impressed me, her vocal chops are pretty great for being however old she is, and aside from a little bit of a hokey vibe, I enjoyed her performance with the Vigil.

Gayle Moran has been the recipient of a good deal of scorn, but I don't think it's justified. She can sing. I've always enjoyed what she did on the various Corea albums, and the Mahavishnu stuff. I haven't heard her recently.

I spent my lunch hour lying on my back in the grass, with the headphones on, listening to Wayne Shorter's "Without a Net" and Quest's "Circular Dreaming." Pretty great lunch hour!!

Has anyone heard Darcy Jame's Argue's new one?

Your Dad must have been one hell of a musician. 35 years with the CSO is pretty impressive!
    Well, he was with the CSO for 31 years, but before that (and before I was born), he was with The San Antonio Symphony Orchestra and The Pittsburg Symphony Orchestra. The CSO was the first one that was a full time gig and he had given up on the notion of making a living playing until he got the position with them. Though he was the assistant tympanist among other duties with the CSO, he's renowned for his cymbal playing most of all; he came up with a technique that produced a much coveted sound. He also wrote the first textbook on it called "The Art of Playing the Cymbals;" it has been widely used in colleges. Just about every percussionist I've ever met who formally studied "legit" has asked me if I was any relation to Sam Denov. He's still alive and (pretty) well at 89 years old. I visit him and his wife every week unless I'm out on tour. He didn't want me to become a musician, but once he realized it was going to happen regardless, he became very supportive. I'm lucky to have a parent who understood the plight when so many families are in vehement opposition to their offspring choosing a career in music or any of the arts.

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post
    Has anyone heard Darcy Jame's Argue's new one?
    Yes. Not sure when I'll get to reviewing it, but it's great, though I heard a lot of it live when he played Ottawa and Montreal in 2011....

I spent my lunch hour lying on my back in the grass, with the headphones on, listening to Wayne Shorter's "Without a Net" and Quest's "Circular Dreaming." Pretty great lunch hour!!
    When I interviewed Richie Beirach for the Abercrombie liners I've completed recently, he said he thought the new QUest is the best record they've ever made, and I'm inclined to agree. Few groups could tackle this repertoire and be as fresh and personal with it.

The Shorter is also outrageously outstanding.

You've got a cool Dad, Ernie! Maybe he'd like this? I just got the CD today.

Slowly working through the Brad Mehldau box - oh my jebus. I'm going to end up spending more money on this guy.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Slowly working through the Brad Mehldau box - oh my jebus. I'm going to end up spending more money on this guy.
    My wife bought me a subscription to the Rdio streaming service as a gift, and the first thing I did was check out Mehldau ... just tons of stuff, including his two "soundtracky" records "Largo" and "Highway Rider," which were completely unexpected. What a gift!
    Gary Chapin

French accordion blog: http://www.accordeonaire.blogspot.com

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Anyone into these guys? I'm checking them out based on a reco in another thread

Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I'm listening to Art Tatum-20th Century Piano Genuis.

Just ridiculous. Wish I could have been a fly on the wall at the parties these recordings came from....man.

I'm listening to Art Tatum-20th Century Piano Genuis.

Just ridiculous. Wish I could have been a fly on the wall at the parties these recordings came from....man.
    Is it solo piano, Cone? I have the solo stuff on Decca and it WAS ridiculously good, even way back then(1940)! No wonder a young Charlie Parker took a gig as a dishwasher at a restaurant/lounge where Art played regularly! The man was a phenom!