Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fates Warning

Bobby Jarzombek is a technician (atlhough I would never say he can replace Mark Zonder). He's maybe best known in the prog and metal worlds, for his band Spastic Ink with his brother Ron who some know from bands like Watchtower, Gordian Knot and Blotted Science.

My biggest concern about the new album is how similar it may resemble the Arch/Matheos material, except with the change in vocalist, it hopefully will differ enough.

Personally, Fates are a staple band, and hold maybe the most consistent catalog among my favorite bands, next to Marillion and maybe Rush pre-1990's.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Another thumbs up for Arch/Matheos.

There are many different periods for FW, but all of them are really consistent with good quality music.

If you want melodic and catchy prog metal, you should probably listen to Parallels, Inside Out and Perfect Symmetry.

If you want a more technical version of classic metal you should listen to Spectre Within and Awaken the Guardian.

If you like you like modern rock-metal you have Pleasant Shade of Gray and Disconnected.

Ray just indicated on twitter that they have finished writing and will start recording the new Fates on April 12th. So, maybe we will see a new release at end of year.

Rick..

Banned
    I just remembered:Bobby did play with Sebastian Bach

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Another thumbs up for Arch/Matheos.
    Aren't these guys also doing those O.S.I. albums?

OSI is Matheos and Kevin Moore with drums on the last two albums by Gavin Harrison. It's great stuff!

Arch was one of the initial people talked about/asked to be involved with OSI (and also at 1 time, Daniel Gildenlow). But, for better or for worse, it didn't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by mnprogger View Post
    Arch was one of the initial people talked about/asked to be involved with OSI (and also at 1 time, Daniel Gildenlow). But, for better or for worse, it didn't happen.
    Really? I never knew that. Considering how OSI has turned out, though, I'm glad it didn't happen that way.

Quote Originally Posted by mnprogger View Post
    I like Arch and Gildenlow. However, I like OSI the way it turned out. The mix of the synth approach from Moore with the heavy riffing from Matheos with the minimalistic vocals from Moore makes a great combination.

Rick..

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    The mix of the synth approach from Moore with the heavy riffing from Matheos with the minimalistic vocals from Moore makes a great combination.
    Exactly. Those other guys are damn good singers, but they'd be too busy for this material.

John Arch writes extremely detailed melody lines. They are very filigreed and intricate, with tons of little slips and turns to them. I love them, but I know a lot of people don't (I think his distinctive vocal timbre plays into that as well).

I can't imagine what that would sound like over OSI material!

I like their 2nd and 3rd... Spectre Within and Awaken the Guardian.
    Last edited by spacefreak; 03-15-2013 at 09:00 AM.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Well I, for one, like A Pleasant Shade of Gray a lot. It’s one of my favourite “prog metal” albums, probably as it’s, to my ears, much more prog than metal...and it isn’t all cheesed out and AOR-ified like Dream Theater’s Metropolis Part II. I mean, how often does one hear me praise a metal album for it’s piano playing?

I haven’t drawn from that well again, though. I tried No Exit and absolutely hated it. If you’re an Iron Maiden fan (personally, I can’t stand them), you may like it.

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"Parece cosa de maligno. Los pianos no estallan por casualidad." --Gabriel Garcia Marquez

N.P.:“Mr. Joy”-Bley/Peacock Synthesizer Show/Revenge

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Well I, for one, like A Pleasant Shade of Gray a lot. It’s one of my favourite “prog metal” albums, probably as it’s, to my ears, much more prog than metal...and it isn’t all cheesed out and AOR-ified like Dream Theater’s Metropolis Part II. I mean, how often does one hear me praise a metal album for it’s piano playing?

I haven’t drawn from that well again, though. I tried No Exit and absolutely hated it. If you’re an Iron Maiden fan (personally, I can’t stand them), you may like it.

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"Parece cosa de maligno. Los pianos no estallan por casualidad." --Gabriel Garcia Marquez

N.P.:“Mr. Joy”-Bley/Peacock Synthesizer Show/Revenge
    Scenes From A Memory an AOR album? Thanks, I needed a laugh. It's classic prog, man.

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    Scenes From A Memory an AOR album? Thanks, I needed a laugh. It's classic prog, man.

Eh, classic cheese.....

Parallels is the one I go back to the most, love the catchy riffs and melodies.
    http://robmartino.com
    Solo Chapman Stick

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    I haven’t drawn from that well again, though.
    I'd suggest not overlooking Disconnected. Very much in the vein of Gray (it also benefits from Kevin Moore's atmospherics), but different enough that it never feels like a retread.

Disconnected also has tons of down-tuned riffs that aPSoG doesn't. Similar, yet very different.