Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tim Smith (Cardiacs): what's his current medical status?

Tim Smith (Cardiacs): what's his current medical status?

I was listening to "All That Glitters..." tonight, and got to wondering what Tim's current medical status is. Anybody here in the know?

Still not good apparently. But Kavus will know for sure.

Same as it has been for a few years, sadly. No signs of improvement but, heroically, he is very content and at peace with himself.

I cannot re-state enough that his mind is very much his own and as it has always been. He just no longer has the use of a body that will do any of the things you and I take for granted.

He is regularly around music and friends which is where he has always been the most happy.

As remarkable and inspiring a man as Tim was before the tragic events of 2008 so he is proving to be afterwards too.

His optimism, light and beautiful energy are still dazzling.
    Last edited by Kavus Torabi; 03-09-2013 at 09:24 AM.

Thanks so much for that, Kavus.

Quote Originally Posted by Kavus Torabi View Post
    Same as it has been for a few years, sadly. No signs of improvement but, heroically, he is very content and at peace with himself.

I cannot re-state enough that his mind is very much his own and as it has always been. He just no longer has the use of a body that will do any of the things you and I take for granted.

He is regularly around music and friends which is where he has always been the most happy.

As remarkable and inspiring a man as Tim was before the tragic events of 2008 so he is proving to be afterwards too.

His optimism, light and beautiful energy are still dazzling.
    I hope he knows that there are many who haven't forgotten him, and are thankful for his presence in this world. Give him our best wishes, and our admiration.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I hope he knows that there are many who haven't forgotten him, and are thankful for his presence in this world. Give him our best wishes, and our admiration.
    Seconded.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

Tim receives many letters and testimonials from fans and admirers. I always pass on well wishes and love from everyone when we see each other.

Ironically, or perhaps as a result of his tragic accident (everyone loves a story, I suppose) interest in Cardiacs' music is at an all time high.

Cardiacs get played fairly regularly on BBC 6Music, many very well written pieces have been published and there has been a swathe of incredible cover versions appearing.

After years of being ignored, treated with derision and mocked it seems like the wider world is finally starting to realise what a musical visionary Tim really is.

To be fair, the last couple of years the band was active we did notice a massive sea change in concert attendances, interest and critical reception (even after the damning and cruel treatment they meted out in the 90's, the NME were referring to us as 'indie legends' which made Tim laugh), so who knows what would have happened had things carried on.

It's not worth thinking about though, it is what it is. Dwelling on stuff like that is the road to madness....

right then, i'll be very blunt here: kavus, have you ever considered fronting a special version of CARDiACS to take the music to people and to honour the legacy? a resurgence in interest had already been visible through social networking such as youtube and the annual UK tour seeing far-reaching advertising (even here on the european continent). CARDiACS are now a regular feature on music review pages and tim’s sad incident has therefore not gone unnoticed. plus, peer reviews and endorsements have never been higher, with high-profiles like steven wilson regularly voicing their enthusiasm.

just playing the music and granting people access to it in a live setting – even as a joint venture with KNiFEWORLD, who i envisage as rightful heirs to CARDiACS with all-original material – could be a worthy undertaking and totally devoid of any cynicism at all. it is really just a naive thought – i would also be happy about a “songbook 2” successor to “leader of the starry skies”. i am certain that many more artists might want to chip in on that. all the best to everyone!

Thanks for the update Kavus.

Isnt it time then to get the old albums back in print?...

Quote Originally Posted by flytomars View Post
    Isnt it time then to get the old albums back in print?...
    Ah, that age old problem. Cardiacs have always had very long periods between re-releases of albums.

Quote Originally Posted by iguana View Post
    have you ever considered fronting a special version of CARDiACS to take the music to people and to honour the legacy?
    Actually this and similar-ish plans have been suggested by a few people over the last four years or so.

One idea that we actually seriously looked into was a big gig with all of the last version of the band plus Jon Poole on second guitar, bringing on special guest singers from friends/fans for one or two songs including Mike Patton, Damon Albarn plus a load of the usual suspects closer to home (Claire Lemon, Sharron Fortnam, Ginger, Mike Vennart etc) Realistically this just proved to be a MASSIVE headache. We hashed over details for weeks, even reserved a night at the Royal Festival Hall, planned on showing films/ videos and having bands in the foyer etc. etc.

The logistics were just too much for folks like us. It would have been a massive undertaking that we just did not have the funding or resources to properly undertake. Given that the thing was meant as a fundraiser we realised that the whole event would cost far more than it could really raise. Let's remember: Tim and Cardiacs, actual visionary and the blazing music aside, are still very much a cult thing.

That's how we happened upon the idea of the tribute album. Again, that almost broke the core 'team' of Bic, Jo Spratley, me and Mark Cawthra. It was far, far more work and temper-fraying stress than we had expected. And thank God it was because the results turned out wonderfully and we managed to raise a fairly substantial sum for Tim from the proceeds.

So in terms of touring a 'version' of Cardiacs I don't think it would be right for a number of reasons. Mainly that Cardiacs really is all about Tim. The band has always consisted of his closest friends, people who 'get' and share his vision and obviously musically capable but, nonetheless, when you're onstage performing that stuff, whether he'd admit it or not, HE is the star of the show. It's his vision. His music.

It's not only the 'I'm not worthy' thing. I'm not going to be falsely modest, I felt very worthy being guitarist in the band and felt it was completely right to join. I also feel completely at home fronting Knifeworld, which is my music, but to take on that role, that persona...I couldn't do it. Nor could I try to shoehorn my own vibe into it. I know something like that can work with, say, The Magic Band, but as much as I love the music of Captain Beefheart/ Don Van Vliet, and I mean this most sincerely, he ain't no Tim Smith!

I think, no matter how good it was, it would always be a second rate version.
    There's something that would be too difficult for me, and I suspect many of the band, emotionally about doing it too. Cardiacs was so much more than a band. For most of my adult life it, and the people in the wider circle around it, had been a family and a way of life..Hell, a way of BEING. It's been really hard just trying to move on and try to piece together a 'career' with Tim being inactive. Revisiting that without him may well break my heart.

Realistically, I just don't think the funding is available to expect a potential touring band to put aside six months of their lives to get this stuff up to snuff and tour it. And believe me, having done that for a few years this is as long as it takes, and that was with the advantage of having Alphabet HQ to live/record/rehearse and work in, which we no longer have. Funnily enough, we all have day jobs/ other groups/ families/ rent/ mortgages etc. There never was any money around Cardiacs. It really all was done for love.

Regarding the reissue of the albums:

Believe me, EVERYONE in and around the band would dearly love this to happen. I'm sure it will eventually but having spent a great deal of time going through the Dickensian legal labyrinth in which Alphabet is tied up I have walked away, as many others have, a weakened man. It will happen, it HAS to but please let me state that it's not us sitting on our hands, doing nothing that is preventing it.

In the meantime I can say that there will be a Songbook 2 of the tribute album. I have my hands completely tied up with recording the new Knifeworld album, rehearsing with Guapo, and a special exciting secret release for the label (Believers Roast) but once I have a shred of spare time the cogs will start to turn on this. We can promise some very interesting contributors!
    Last edited by Kavus Torabi; 03-10-2013 at 05:55 PM.

We can promise some very interesting contributors!
    Would one of them, perhaps, spell his name with an exclamation point?

thanks for the detailed heads-up, kavus! it’s a privilege to be able to interact and to receive some valued first-hand info.

Thanks. I'm generally tight-lipped publicly about the whole thing but writing that actually felt like a purge. Nice to get those thoughts out there in some way.

Thanks Kavus for the time and info.

Love to see that songbook II dropping in my mailbox one day.

oh, and i LOVE the last Guapo btw ;-)

Thanks BB for starting this thread and Kavus for sharing your thoughts from an insiders POV. Through on of our members, I was able to have purchased most of the band's catalogue and was pretty happy with all of the purchases I made. I was surprised that iTunes here in the US has some of the band's albums, but truth be told, I'm actually saddened by Tim's ailment which happened around the same time as another one of my heroes (Eberhard Weber).

I am definitely keeping Tim in my thoughts and the Cardiacs family.

Charles
    Be a loyal plastic robot for a world that doesn't care... Frank Zappa

We hashed over details for weeks, even reserved a night at the Royal Festival Hall, planned on showing films/ videos and having bands in the foyer etc. etc.
    Perhaps Steve Davis would have been MC for the evening.

Thanks for responding Kavus. I don't really have much to say other than that Cardiacs almost IMMEDIATELY became my favorite band upon hearing them for the first time (a familiar story, I'm sure!) and that I've always been in awe of Tim. He really is a truly singular songwriter, and I loved how humble and down to earth he was in his interviews. I assume he still gets embarrassed when people tell him how much his music meant to them. It's nice to hear that he's in good spirits and that so many care for him. Is there a chance that Tim gets healthy enough to finish the long rumored follow-up to Guns that was supposed to come out a few years ago? I mean, if the tribute album sold well....

There never was any money around Cardiacs. It really all was done for love.
    Now this, I can believe!! The fact that the tribute album raised some cash (and I really do think the fanbase is at an all-time high thanks to the internet) is excellent news. I really don't think there's a such thing as a "casual" fan of the band. If there's anything we can do to help, please let us know!!

Great to hear your comments and emotions Kavus, Cardiacs meant so much to myself and friends over the years and we miss you very much (i saw Cardiacs over 60 times although I am aware this is nothing compared to some!)

Just a thought however in relation to releases, I recall a live show was filmed a few years back (I think at the Astoria, although not certain) and its release was highly anticipated.. Correct me if I am wrong but this was never released? Is there any plans to release this or has this project been shelved? Thinking a live DVD as a fantastic tribute to Tim?

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by inephilim View Post
    Just a thought however in relation to releases, I recall a live show was filmed a few years back (I think at the Astoria, although not certain) and its release was highly anticipated.. Correct me if I am wrong but this was never released? Is there any plans to release this or has this project been shelved? Thinking a live DVD as a fantastic tribute to Tim?
    “the filth” brighton, 2003ish?

We did have a very expensive 8 camera crew with crane for the Astoria show in (I think) 2005. Tim was going to leave the editing to the company involved, but when we watched a rough of the first song (Home Of Fadeless Splendour) he decided (rightly) that he should edit the thing himself. At the time of his accident he had not yet mixed the soundtrack, let alone edited the film. A shame because the actual shots looked magnificent and the backstage footage was amazing. Subsequently this is shelved at the moment. Much closer to completion and 90% edited and completely mixed was the Garage rehearsal film, two tunes of which are on YouTube. I watched what there is of that again with Tim recently but as far as I know he has no plans to get it out there as yet.

The Filth footage is from The Brighton show as part of the tour leading to the above Astoria extravaganza. It was filmed on two or three cameras by James Stevens (The Consultant) but is obviously not the grandiose production we had for The Astoria show...

In all seriousness, surely the time is ripe for the extraordinary music and influence of Tim Smith to be recognised by a serious arts programme like The Culture Show or The South Bank Show? If I managed to prise a quote out of Damon Albarn for Louder Than War I'm sure he'd be happy to talk to his mate Melvyn Bragg, and failing that, the still Cardiacs-mad Graham Coxon would be superb value, as would Captain Sensible, Marc Riley and I'm sure many others. And as Kavus points out, everyone loves a story.

Sorry if I sound like a dreamer, but this has been on my mind since the first Songbook, which I hoped might spark wider media/arts interest. Perhaps an eventual Songbook 2 could be the key?

Kavus, is there unreleased material in the vaults somewhere? I don't mean so much live stuff, but unreleased tunes. I think if would sell like crazy and it could help Tim financially during these trying times.

If it didn't 'sell like crazy' when Tim and the band were active and out and about and playing shows and releasing albums, why would it sell like crazy now?
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.