Page 60 of 176 FirstFirst ... 105056575859606162636470110160 ... LastLast
Results 1,476 to 1,500 of 4383

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Just finished The Better Angels of Our Nature: Why Violence Has Declined by Steven Pinker. It's a deeply researched, comprehensive, fascinating, and compelling look into violence in literally every aspect of human societies starting from the distant past and ending up in the present (well, 2011 anyway) and how, despite what you read and hear on the news/internet, we're far, far less likely to commit or tolerate violent acts, and this trend continues to move downward. This was a substantial audiobook at 36+ hours, but it was not in any way "a slog." Narrative by Arthur Morey, who was a perfect choice.

Also recently finished Tribe: On Homecoming and Belonging by Sebastian Junger. It's a short (3 hr) audiobook about the importance of communities. This is an eye-opening and well-written book by the same author who gave us The Perfect Storm, which was also made into a movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Koreabruce View Post
    Just finished The Better Angels of Our Nature: Why Violence Has Declined by Steven Pinker.
    His latest, Enlightenment Now, is equally erudite--and similarly "upbeat"--but deeply flawed.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    His latest, Enlightenment Now, is equally erudite--and similarly "upbeat"--but deeply flawed.
    I've heard this assessment from others as well.

Sick on You: The Disastrous Story of the Hollywood Brats, The Greatest Band You've Never Heard Of by Andrew Matheson (the band's lead singer). Indeed I hadn't heard of this glam, proto-punk, band from England until about a month ago when I happened on a double CD of their only album and demos, covers, and outtakes. The original album is pretty awful but the second CD is a gem. Great stuff, improved vocals, it's all there. The book is quite the hoot, with the singer/author giving his 5 rules for a band. (Rule #5: No girl friends. They are cancerous for the esprit de corps.... Two words: Yoko and Ono.) Andrew talks about putting the band together from ads in the local London music papers, playing biker bars and church halls, and, of course, girl friends (including, and I knew it was coming, that souvenir of London). I'm about 70 pages in and it's a fun ride.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Crucifax , by Ray Garton.

Ok horror novel about how easily disillusioned teens can be programmed. How people can be manipulated when you tell them
    what they want to hear.

Do Unto Others, by J F Gonzalez

Shorter than novella length book about the levels one man is willing to go to in order to protect and provide for his family. An
    intense quick read.
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    Crucifax , by Ray Garton.

Ok horror novel about how easily disillusioned teens can be programmed. How people can be manipulated when you tell them
    what they want to hear.
    I read this years ago and enjoyed it. Ray has said that he wrote it when he was teaching high school and found, like you said, kids are so easily swayed. What was worse, he went on, is that the parents of those kids, particularly the wealthy parents, allow it to happen because they are not paying attention to their kids.
    Lou

The Book of Lost Books by Stuart Kelly. Attempts to catalog the known examples of literature lost to history, fires, floods, author’s pique, agent negligence and other causes. Starts with a vast (and humbling) survey of the classical works lost in the various burnings (accidental and intentional) of the Library of Alexandria and others, as well as various churches’ attempts to eliminate all competition for scripture.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    I read this years ago and enjoyed it. Ray has said that he wrote it when he was teaching high school and found, like you said, kids are so easily swayed. What was worse, he went on, is that the parents of those kids, particularly the wealthy parents, allow it to happen because they are not paying attention to their kids.
    So very true! What else by Garton do you recommend? I have Live Girls and Night Life.

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    So very true! What else by Garton do you recommend? I have Live Girls and Night Life.
    Just love Garton. I'd recommend The New Neighbor (succubus moves into town, and there goes the neighborhood), Lot Lizards (trucker meets vampire hookers), and the short story collection Methods of Madness. I don't have Night Life. Will have to find that one.
    Lou

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    Just love Garton. I'd recommend The New Neighbor (succubus moves into town, and there goes the neighborhood), Lot Lizards (trucker meets vampire hookers), and the short story collection Methods of Madness. I don't have Night Life. Will have to find that one.
    Thank you for the information!

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Just started reading Ian McGuire's historical novel The North Water. Seems it's been nominated for the Man Booker Prize.
    I finished reading this novel, which became more and more a thriller. Well done.
    The book is being transformed to a 6 part series by the BBC. See for more information http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/lat...he-north-water

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Never A Dull Moment: 1971-The Year That Rock Exploded by David Hepworth.

Reading in the past.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

I'm sure this book has been mentioned in one of the 60 pages of this thread: Philip Roth's The Plot Against America.

George Saunders. Reading Pastoralia right now. Going to read everything I can find----I've previously read 10th of December, and Lincoln in the Bardo. Next up is In Pursuasion Nation.
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

Don't Skip Out On Me by Willy Vlautin, his latest novel.

This is the second book by Vlautin I have read. My first was The Motel Life.
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Parade's End by Ford Maddox Ford

Noir City Annual #10. This is the best writing from Film Noir Foundation's 2017 quarterly e-magazine. Beautifully done. Excellent articles on noir films, directors, books, etc. I always look forward to the next annual.

Quote Originally Posted by per anporth View Post
    Parade's End by Ford Madox Ford
    I read it a few years ago after seeing the mini-series. Impressive.

Mick Finlay: Arrowood
    A historic crime-novel about a detective who hates Sherlock Holmes

I just finished Stephen King's 11/22/63. Wow. Just a fantastic book. As someone on another forum said, it now feels possible to feel nostalgia for an era in which I never lived. King makes you feel like you're right there. And a very satisfying ending.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Working my way through another of Max Gladstone's "Craft" series novels. I can barely explain these books, let alone pigeonhole them. Sort of postindustrial urban fantasy but that's not an exact fit. The books are set on a different world with magic and corporate machinations and dead gods and skeletal sorcerers in robes taking meetings and drinking copious amounts of coffee while arguing about holy contracts. And even the numbering system of the books is off-kilter. But the writing is beautiful, the characters are compelling, and I can't put these books down.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I just finished Stephen King's 11/22/63. Wow. Just a fantastic book. As someone on another forum said, it now feels possible to feel nostalgia for an era in which I never lived. King makes you feel like you're right there. And a very satisfying ending.
    Agree, he hit a home run with that one. Have been curious about the TV version, but do not have Amazon Prime.

FYI: Joe R. Lansdale has a new Hap and Leonard book out called Jack Rabbit Smile.

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    FYI: Joe R. Lansdale has a new Hap and Leonard book out called Jack Rabbit Smile.
    That's next on my list.
    Lou

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Enjoyed it too and it was nice to see the series that was made from it (bought it on DVD).