Thread: What are you currently reading?

State of The Art by Iain Banks
    A warm up for Anathem by Neal Stevenson
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    "The future will be better tomorrow." Dan Quayle

Oh, my gosh, yes I like Lavalle's writing style. It is not at all purple, and produces a few moments of real dread.

There's this whole movement of "reclaiming" the Mythos: not just this, but (at least) The Dream Quest of Vellit Boe, by Kij Johnson, which is a female perspective on the Dreamlands where Lovecraft borrowed heavily from Dunsany; and Lovecraft Country, by Matt Ruff, which is technically not Mythos but has that feel, if you know what I mean., as well as a great deal of what it was like to be Black in the '50s. The latter I also recommend highly, the former is pretty good but not great.
    Do not bug a wombat, 'cause wombats bug back,
    and no-one can live through a wombat attack.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Oh, my gosh, yes I like Lavalle's writing style. It is not at all purple, and produces a few moments of real dread.

There's this whole movement of "reclaiming" the Mythos: not just this, but (at least) The Dream Quest of Vellit Boe, by Kij Johnson, which is a female perspective on the Dreamlands where Lovecraft borrowed heavily from Dunsany; and Lovecraft Country, by Matt Ruff, which is technically not Mythos but has that feel, if you know what I mean., as well as a great deal of what it was like to be Black in the '50s. The latter I also recommend highly, the former is pretty good but not great.
    I know what you mean Sturgeon. It's the feel, style, verbiage and atmosphere I like. I ordered Lavalle's book. The Horror at Red Hook has always been one of my favorite Lovecraft stories. I found the Brooklyn setting, coupled with a detective protagonist unique among Lovecraft's mythos tales.
    Last edited by Crawford Glissadevil; 3 Days Ago at 12:29 PM.

Hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

Meanwhile, now reading Addiction by Design, a study of machine gambling in Vegas.
    Do not bug a wombat, 'cause wombats bug back,
    and no-one can live through a wombat attack.

Milkman by Anna Burns

A brilliant and funny read but I'm 36 pages in and I swear it written as one long run-on sentence. I highly recommend it, but remember to come up for air at some point!

Philip Roth - Nemesis

I am just about finished with Eric Idle's recent autobiography "Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life". I would guess that any of you who are Python fans would enjoy it. As one would expect, he has a funny writing style, and lots of great stories.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I am just about finished with Eric Idle's recent autobiography "Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life". I would guess that any of you who are Python fans would enjoy it. As one would expect, he has a funny writing style, and lots of great stories.
    Good to hear. This one has been on my radar for a bit. Might be time to pull the trigger.
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    Good to hear. This one has been on my radar for a bit. Might be time to pull the trigger.
    I finished it last night. Along with the Pythons, Idle knows just about everyone in the comedy biz and many in the music biz. He talks a lot about his friendship with George Harrison and devotes most of a chapter to Robin Williams. The whole thing was a very good read.