Page 72 of 176 FirstFirst ... 226268697071727374757682122172 ... LastLast
Results 1,776 to 1,800 of 4383

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Do you perchance mean "The Sub" by Thomas M. Disch?
    Oh yeah. I believe the entire title of Disch's novel is - "The Sub: A Study in Witchcraft"

Right: it was the fourth volume of his "Supernatural Minnesota" series which, alas, ended when Tom shot himself a few years ago.

The Businessman: A Tale of Terror
    The M.D.: A Horror Story
    The Priest: A Gothic Romance
    and The Sub.

They're all good.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Tender is the Night, by Scott Fitzgerald.

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    To be specific, Kindred isn't a horror novel in the ordinary sense. It's about a modern black woman who finds herself periodically thrown into Maryland (a slave state) in the early 1800s.
    Read this many moons ago back in college in early 90s and found it excellently disturbing
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Just finished Eric Idle's "Always look on the bright side.." I read John Cleese's book shortly after it was released.. Eric covers a lot of ground in his book.. highly recommend it to all Python fans..
    eric idle.jpg

Just started Artemis, the second book by the guy whose first book was The Martian. Very different story with a lot of the same strengths.

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    Just finished Eric Idle's "Always look on the bright side.." I read John Cleese's book shortly after it was released.. Eric covers a lot of ground in his book.. highly recommend it to all Python fans..
    eric idle.jpg
    Have this one in my que on my Kindle. Looking forward to reading it soon.

I have been on a bit of an old west kick lately and am currently reading Armstrong Custer's "My Life On The Plains". Although I don't agree with what our ancestors did to Native Americans and "Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee" presents the real side of the story, Custer's book is still fascinating first hand account of what life was like in the U.S. Military in the west at the time.

Curfew by Phil Rickman

"Lumikko ja yhdeksän muuta" (2006) by the Finnish author Pasi Ilmari Jääskeläinen, recently translated into Dutch.
    The translation in English has the title "The Rabbit Back Literature Society".
    It's a pleasantly strange story about a missing leader of a literature group, which is why the Dutch publisher thought it would be nice to mention it's for lovers of Donna Tartt's "The Secret History" (which is a bit misleading I think).

Peter May, "The Blackhouse." A friend bought me the trilogy for Xmas. Pretty great mystery, set on a far Northern Scottish Isle. Anyone read him?
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

I haven't read it but I just bought the trilogy for my iPad!
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Nomadland: Surviving America in the Twenty-First Century, by Jessica Bruder

....in which neo-feudalism is, as they say, "trending."
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Finally started George R. Stewart's "Earth Abides" in a new Dutch translation. Strong beginning!

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Finally started George R. Stewart's "Earth Abides" in a new Dutch translation. Strong beginning!
    Excellent book! Read it in college and it still sticks with me.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

I've been slogging through Glam Rock by Simon Philo. Lots of interesting information about the music but very little about the bands themselves except for T. Rex, which the author seems to idolize. A little too scholarly for a very unscholarly genre.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    Excellent book! Read it in college and it still sticks with me.
    Good to know!
    Just noticed https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3326928/ mentions they're developing a mini-series on Earth Abides.
    More about that on https://georgerstewart.wordpress.com...s-into-movies/

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    There's a nice piece in the book where the main character reaches route 66 and remembers there was a song written about that road.
    As the book is from 1949 I had to look into http://www.originals.be/en by Arnold Rypens who wrote the original of this well known song: Bobby Troups wrote it in 1946.

Just finished Le Guin's last prose book, No Time to Spare. It's a warm wise, and witty collection of essays from her blog.
    Now reading N.K. Jemison's "The Fifth Season." First Hugo award for a novel ever won by an African-American; and it's the first volume of a trilogy, all three volumes of which won the Hugo - another first.

"Life Span Development: A Topical Approach" - Robert S Feldman PHD

"The Coddling of the American Mind: How Good Intentions and Bad Ideas Are Setting Up a Generation for Failure" by Greg Kukianoff and Jonathan Haidt

Rupert Sheldrake Science set free. Funny, Interesting and kind of scientifically blasphemous. Not for the "serious" science student. meaning, you need a sense of humor. or open mind. Ol' Rupert knows how to get his digs to stick.

Sheldrake is a mystical clown...

Quote Originally Posted by Koreabruce View Post
    "The Coddling of the American Mind: How Good Intentions and Bad Ideas Are Setting Up a Generation for Failure" by Greg Kukianoff and Jonathan Haidt
    I read that one recently.

Another one relevant to what's happening currently I just started. "The Skeptics' Guide to the Universe: How to Know What's Really Real in a World Increasingly Full of Fake" by Steven Novella.

I'm more of a non fiction and than fiction reader these these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Bartellb View Post
    I read that one recently.

Another one relevant to what's happening currently I just started. "The Skeptics' Guide to the Universe: How to Know What's Really Real in a World Increasingly Full of Fake" by Steven Novella.

I'm more of a non fiction and than fiction reader these these days.
    Yep, that sounds like me! Thanks for the recommendation.