Page 77 of 176 FirstFirst ... 276773747576777879808187127 ... LastLast
Results 1,901 to 1,925 of 4383

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Reading this one https://www.kirkusreviews.com/book-r...andelion-wine/ a for me it is the best book ever

Crawford, Scott, and Steve - Thank you from the bottom of my stoney little heart.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    11-17-18: Just bought the latest Richard K Morgan - Thin Air, a sci-fi novel based on a future Mars, and Rich Zahradnik - Drop Dead Punk, a New York 70's journalist detective novel. Rich is a friend I used to play soccer with in CT, he really gets the grittiness of NYC in that period, and he's a good guy (though a lousy full back).
    Just finished Thin Air, yup that's how slow I read, excellent addition to the Richard K Morgan collection, really enjoyed the mercenary turned private contractor on Mars.

Probably going to read Ben Aaronovitch - Rivers Of London, a wizarding crime solving drama
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Reading another doorstop fantasy: Orb Sceptre Throne by Ian Esslemont (a side project of the Malazan Empire series). The body count will be high.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Reading The Presidents Club, by Nancy Gibbs and Michael Duffy. So far a very interesting insight into the relationships into a very unique club. I've heard of some of the stories but mostly, its all new to me.

It's good to be reading a book again after spending much of my free time watching TV. I'd forgotten how much I love to read for enjoyment and not just another computer manual.

Just finished Clayton Moore's autobiography I Was That Masked Man. Really enjoyed it, and I couldn't help hearing his voice as I read it. When I was little The Lone Ranger was my hero, until one day I was flipping the channels, all three of them back then in Providence, RI, and discovered Superman.

Just started The Show That Never Ends: The Rise and Fall of Prog Rock by David Weigel, which I believe got some ink here on PE.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    Just finished Clayton Moore's autobiography I Was That Masked Man. Really enjoyed it, and I couldn't help hearing his voice as I read it. When I was little The Lone Ranger was my hero, until one day I was flipping the channels, all three of them back then in Providence, RI, and discovered Superman.

Just started The Show That Never Ends: The Rise and Fall of Prog Rock by David Weigel, which I believe got some ink here on PE.
    I have read the Weigel book. Not a lot I didn't already know, but a good book.

Point Hollow by Rio Youers

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    A Terrible Country by Keith Gessen.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Just finished Clayton Moore's autobiography I Was That Masked Man. Really enjoyed it, and I couldn't help hearing his voice as I read it.
    Is there an account of the chase he got involved in as a passenger in Jay Thomas' car in the book? Thomas used to tell the story every year on Letterman.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Is there an account of the chase he got involved in as a passenger in Jay Thomas' car in the book? Thomas used to tell the story every year on Letterman.
    No, he doesn't mention that. I've heard about it, but haven't seen/heard it. I'll look it up on YouTube.
    Lou

At Our Wits' End: Why We're Becoming Less Intelligent and What it Means for the Future (Societas) by Edward Dutton

The author claims that intelligence — which is strongly genetic — was increasing up until the breakthrough of the Industrial Revolution, because we were subject to the rigors of Darwinian Selection. Dutton and his cohorts explore how this change has occurred and, crucially, what its consequences will be for the future.

After 15 years and many novels about Joseph O'Loughlin and Vincent Ruiz it's nice to go back to Michael Robotham's first book "The Suspect" and read how those two men met.

Just read a fascinating book about cardiac surgery, Fragile Lives by Professor Steven Westaby. An incredible man, who achieved so much from a very humble start. I heard him interviewed on the radio and he had me enthralled, so I had to search out his first book, which was just 99p on kindle.

I also recently enjoyed Jonathan Coe’s “Middle England”, which I devoured in a few sittings, I find that I am so comfortable with these characters, and seeing as the Brexit travesty imbues our every waking moment, it was an easy , moving and topical read.

Now reading the Kalevala, a bunch of folk stories from Finland put together into something like a national epic. Quite interesting stuff.

I am reading John Cleese's autobiography form 2014. I just finished Eric Idle's fairly recent one which was good, so thought I would check out Cleese. Not sure how I missed it when it came out.

Of the Python memoirs, I think Graham Chapman's (A Liar's Autobiography (Volume VI)) is still the best of the bunch

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Of the Python memoirs, I think Graham Chapman's (A Liar's Autobiography (Volume VI)) is still the best of the bunch
    I don't think I ever read that one. I will have to seek it out. I have also read the Michael Palin diaries which were pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Now reading the Kalevala, a bunch of folk stories from Finland put together into something like a national epic. Quite interesting stuff.
    That does sound interesting. I'll check it out and break out my Scarlet Thread album.

Cruel Winter by Anthony Izzo

Has anyone read The Broken Earth trilogy by N.K. Jemisin? I am reading glowing reviews interspersed by reviewers who loathe her style... got me curious...
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

How Music Got Free by Stephen Witt

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    Has anyone read The Broken Earth trilogy by N.K. Jemisin? I am reading glowing reviews interspersed by reviewers who loathe her style... got me curious...
    I reac the first book and was enjoying it so much that I ordered books 2 & 3 before I even finished.

I would not in any way compare it to military SF. It's a book of deep secrets.

As for the style I would describe it as "sparse.'

Her "Inheritance Trilogy" is now on my to-read pile...

Quote Originally Posted by noprogpls View Post
    How Music Got Free by Stephen Witt
    How's that one?? easy read?

Finished Hippy Hippy Shake from Richard Neville (editor of Oz magazine) and just started London Underground (45-85) by Barry Miles (that's a big brick actually)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Between Two Fires by Christopher Buehlman

Who Killed the Fonz? by James Boice. A murder mystery involving the Happy Days gang. Richie is a down-on-his-luck screenwriter in Hollywood and goes home to attend Fonzie's funeral. Lots of allusions to the TV show.

On deck is Joe Lansdale's latest Hap and Leonard caper The Elephant of Surprise. I was surprised to see it on the New Mysteries shelf at the library as Joe said he was giving Hap and Leonard a rest.
    Lou