Page 71 of 176 FirstFirst ... 216167686970717273747581121171 ... LastLast
Results 1,751 to 1,775 of 4383

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Recently finished The Long Take by Robin Robertson, which was magnificent.

Now enjoying The Quest for Corvo by A.J.A. Symons (who was, for those with an interest in crime writing from "the golden age", the brother of Julian Symons).

In between times, keeping up with a Maigret a month!

Yesterday started Mason & Dixon by Thomas Pynchon

Quote Originally Posted by philsunset View Post
    Yesterday started Mason & Dixon by Thomas Pynchon
    Really interested to hear what you make of it! I like Pynchon a lot, but I think M&D is his crowning achievement.

Quote Originally Posted by per anporth View Post
    Really interested to hear what you make of it! I like Pynchon a lot, but I think M&D is his crowning achievement.
    Only 40 pages in but very funny that "Bodine" appears again.

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post
    Read that a while back....interested in your thoughts after you've finished it.
    Mixed feelings about this one. The initial part of his childhood was a bit labored to get through. Once he got to his teens, it was rather fascinating
    from that point on. Interesting to see the inspiration for what would later become a Python sketch. As well as the writing dynamic between him
    and Chapman. I was greatly disappointed that the book basically stopped at the beginning of Python. I was hoping for an insiders look into the
    history of the group. Guess I'd give it a C+.
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Can the Working Class Change the World?, Michael D. Yates

We'll see....
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by per anporth View Post
    Count me as agreeing with that assessment.
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    Mixed feelings about this one. The initial part of his childhood was a bit labored to get through. Once he got to his teens, it was rather fascinating
    from that point on. Interesting to see the inspiration for what would later become a Python sketch. As well as the writing dynamic between him
    and Chapman. I was greatly disappointed that the book basically stopped at the beginning of Python. I was hoping for an insiders look into the
    history of the group. Guess I'd give it a C+.
    I'd give it a b-, but for the same reasons, pretty much.
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post
    I'd give it a b-, but for the same reasons, pretty much.
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Just started Sam Phillips The Man Who Invented Rock N Roll. Just a few chapters in.. looks to be a great book..
    Sam Phillips.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    Just started Sam Phillips The Man Who Invented Rock N Roll. Just a few chapters in.. looks to be a great book..
    Sam Phillips.jpg
    Oooh.....I think my Dad would love that. And we're not exchanging Christmas gifts until next week. Thanks, happy!
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Finally finished The Wise Man's Fear ... just started Octavia Butler's Kindred, which is bloody horrifying.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Finally finished The Wise Man's Fear ... just started Octavia Butler's Kindred, which is bloody horrifying.
    I like bloody horrifying. I'll check out Kindred.

I hope the novel I started is bloody terrifying... Dead White by Alan Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by Crawford Glissadevil View Post
    I like bloody horrifying. I'll check out Kindred.

I hope the novel I started is bloody terrifying... Dead White by Alan Ryan
    To be specific, Kindred isn't a horror novel in the ordinary sense. It's about a modern black woman who finds herself periodically thrown into Maryland (a slave state) in the early 1800s.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Anyone here like reading travel guides? I love to when I'm planning a trip. Several years ago we visited Amsterdam, and I read a couple of guides over and over, and when we got there I had the whole city fairly well mapped out in my head, and knew where we should eat, etc. Also where all the coffee shops were! Did the same with Iceland, where we traveled the whole ring road around the island.

But I even like reading travel guides when we have no immediate plans to visit somewhere. I just enjoy the detail, descriptions of hotels, restaurants, museums, sights, culture, etc. To be honest, my dream job is to be a travel writer, but I think that ship has sailed (ha-ha).

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Fear by Bob Woodward.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Anyone here like reading travel guides? I love to when I'm planning a trip. Several years ago we visited Amsterdam, and I read a couple of guides over and over, and when we got there I had the whole city fairly well mapped out in my head, and knew where we should eat, etc. Also where all the coffee shops were! Did the same with Iceland, where we traveled the whole ring road around the island.

But I even like reading travel guides when we have no immediate plans to visit somewhere. I just enjoy the detail, descriptions of hotels, restaurants, museums, sights, culture, etc. To be honest, my dream job is to be a travel writer, but I think that ship has sailed (ha-ha).
    I sometimes do that if I am travelling somewhere that I have not been.

The Vampire Tapestry- Suzy McKee Charnas...…. published 1980

^^ Excellent book.

Just started: Provenance, by Ann Leckie.

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    horror book called The Substitute Teacher

A text book called Fraud Examination

Just finished the Guest translation of the Mabinigion and a book called Stop Stealing Sheep & Find Out How Type Works
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

World Without End by Ken Follett

It's the (first) sequel to his hugely popular Pillars of the Earth, which I read back in the '90s and loved. I started this when it came out in 2008 or so, but didn't find it particularly engrossing, and set it aside. Finally picked it up again, and I'm really enjoying it this time.

Maybe that will be my New Year's Resolution, to finish a lot of the books that I've abandoned midway over the years. Thomas Hardy's Far from the Madding Crowd and Nassim Nicholas Taleb's The Black Swan would be high on that list.

Quote Originally Posted by Rune Blackwings View Post
    Jen, is that by Jordan Storm? I looked it up and looks pretty cheesy, but I like cheesy. So if that's it, I'm putting it on my list.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    Jen, is that by Jordan Storm? I looked it up and looks pretty cheesy, but I like cheesy. So if that's it, I'm putting it on my list.
    Thanks for clearing up my confusion Lopez. I got Substitute Teacher confused with Hot for Teacher by Edward Van Halen.

Quote Originally Posted by Rune Blackwings View Post
    Do you perchance mean "The Sub" by Thomas M. Disch?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Oooh.....I think my Dad would love that. And we're not exchanging Christmas gifts until next week. Thanks, happy!
    And Dad does, indeed, love it. Thanks again, happy. He's really looking forward to reading it.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally