Page 68 of 176 FirstFirst ... 185864656667686970717278118168 ... LastLast
Results 1,676 to 1,700 of 4383

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Quote Originally Posted by Crawford Glissadevil View Post
    I'm 10 deep into his bibliography. Around a year ago, I bought a box of 20 Laymon novels from a friend. Up till then, the only novel I'd read was "The Traveling Vampire Show".

What's your top 3-5 Laymon titles? If I have one of your titles, I'll read it next.
    Hard to choose favorites with Laymon. Here are some candidates...
    The Beast House Series - this is a 4 book series which includes The Cellar, The Beast House, The Midnight Tour, and Friday Night in Beast House

Endless Night

Beware

In the Dark

Really can't go wrong with anything from Laymon. I have yet to be disappointed
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    Hard to choose favorites with Laymon. Here are some candidates...
    The Beast House Series - this is a 4 book series which includes The Cellar, The Beast House, The Midnight Tour, and Friday Night in Beast House

Endless Night

Beware

In the Dark

Really can't go wrong with anything from Laymon. I have yet to be disappointed

I've read the first two Beast House novels and Endless Night. I really liked Endless Night. Beware, in the dark the midnight tour begins Friday night in the beast house. Thanks for the recs Lou!

Quote Originally Posted by Crawford Glissadevil View Post
    I've read the first two Beast House novels and Endless Night. I really liked Endless Night. Beware, in the dark the midnight tour begins Friday night in the beast house. Thanks for the recs Lou!
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    How Fascism Works: The Politics of Us and Them by Jason Stanley.

Most of us have some idea of what fascism is. This book tells how it worms its way in and takes hold of countries that have stopped paying attention, and gives specific examples from around the world. Informative and interesting, so far.
    Last edited by spellbound; 10-20-2018 at 03:49 PM.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Dave Pegg's bio. "Off The Pegg" Found the link on the new JT book thread. So far, a FUN read! Intro starts off with an "organ recital" new hip and a catheter after prostrate cancer. Dad was a carpenter.....worked in a wood toilet seat factory! Was a bandmate of John Bonham and some great LZ stories! Mostly covers his time in Fairport Convention & Tull. Just 100 pages in but a Hoot!
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Jorma Kaukonen's autobiography, Been So Long: My Life and Music.

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    I have it on my kindle, but have not started reading it yet. Should be a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    Just finished it yesterday. Was hoping there'd be more dirt on the Airplane, but Jorma's too much a gentleman for that. Nothing at all about his punk band White Gland other than one picture.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    Just finished it yesterday. Was hoping there'd be more dirt on the Airplane, but Jorma's too much a gentleman for that. Nothing at all about his punk band White Gland other than one picture.
    It has been a while since a read it, but I remember Grace's autobiography "Somebody To Love?" being a good read.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    It has been a while since a read it, but I remember Grace's autobiography "Somebody To Love?" being a good read.
    Thanks for the recommendation, Steve. I'll hunt for that one at the Boston Public Library. Pretty sure I've seen it there.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    Thanks for the recommendation, Steve. I'll hunt for that one at the Boston Public Library. Pretty sure I've seen it there.
    If I remember right it came out back in the late 90's, so you might be able to find it. Like I said, it has been a while, but I remember it being good.

Great fan of Michael Robotham's books, especially those about Joe O'Loughlin, so I was pleasantly surprised to see the new thriller "The Other Wife" last weekend in the bookstore.

http://www.michaelrobotham.com/index...the+other+wife

Antarctic scientist 'stabs colleague who kept telling him endings of books he was reading'

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-...BqW-7k4rq2zLeI

Fair enough!

Shelley's Heart by Charles McCarry

What did Trelawney snatch from Percy Shelly's funeral pyre?

Just finished Phil Collins' autobio, which was a good read. I've always loved PC as a drummer and liked his early solo stuff. The book didn't have near enough detail of the Genesis years for a proghead, but understandably so as I'm sure the number of readers who know him more as a solo artist is greater than the old-timers like myself who quit after "Sussudio". But I had no idea what a scoundrel he was in his relationships. I knew he'd been married a few times, but wasn't aware that his infidelity was the main cause of his divorces (in addition to his mostly unavoidable chronic absences due to his chosen profession).

Just started "Tune In" by Mark Lewisohn. I've been a Beatles fan since 1963, but I didn't think I'd enjoy an 800+ page book that only covered up to 1962. I thought the minutia would be overwhelming and boring. So far, I'm wrong. Who knew I'd be interested in knowing who the original tea-chest bass player in the Quarrymen was? Looking forward to completing this one, hopefully before Part 2 comes out.

Quote Originally Posted by headcrash View Post
    Just finished Phil Collins' autobio, which was a good read. I've always loved PC as a drummer and liked his early solo stuff. The book didn't have near enough detail of the Genesis years for a proghead, but understandably so as I'm sure the number of readers who know him more as a solo artist is greater than the old-timers like myself who quit after "Sussudio". But I had no idea what a scoundrel he was in his relationships. I knew he'd been married a few times, but wasn't aware that his infidelity was the main cause of his divorces (in addition to his mostly unavoidable chronic absences due to his chosen profession).

Just started "Tune In" by Mark Lewisohn. I've been a Beatles fan since 1963, but I didn't think I'd enjoy an 800+ page book that only covered up to 1962. I thought the minutia would be overwhelming and boring. So far, I'm wrong. Who knew I'd be interested in knowing who the original tea-chest bass player in the Quarrymen was? Looking forward to completing this one, hopefully before Part 2 comes out.
    I enjoyed Phil's book. Have you read Ruthaford's? It makes a nice companion piece from a slightly different point of view.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I enjoyed Phil's book. Have you read Ruthaford's? It makes a nice companion piece from a slightly different point of view.
    I enjoyed Phil's book too and last week I bought the soundtrack which could accompany it .... "Plays Well With Others". Nice to hear a track of Argent's Counterpoint on CD finally (and one of Rod Argent's solo-debut).
    I still hesitate to buy/read Mike's autobio, mainly because it doesn't look as adventurous as Phil's (in other word: Isn't it boring?).
    I did buy Richard Macphail's book of Genesis, but haven't start reading it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    I enjoyed Phil's book too and last week I bought the soundtrack which could accompany it .... "Plays Well With Others". Nice to hear a track of Argent's Counterpoint on CD finally (and one of Rod Argent's solo-debut).
    I still hesitate to buy/read Mike's autobio, mainly because it doesn't look as adventurous as Phil's (in other word: Isn't it boring?).
    I enjoyed Mike's book about the same as Phil's. I also have Macphil's, book but have not read it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    I didn't think Mike's book was boring at all. It's a very interesting read!

Quote Originally Posted by Koreabruce View Post
    I didn't think Mike's book was boring at all. It's a very interesting read!
    Thanks for the recommendation. I just wondered about it, because Mike seems to be such a gentleman and a quiet force in the band.
    But I must admit I fell in love with Angie when I saw a picture of hers in 1980 in Amando Gallo's The Evolution Of A Rock Band.

<Spoiler Alert>

Mike is pretty up-front about most things. He talks about the early days of growing up, his upbringing in a naval family the huge differences in the generations, moving around a lot when he was a kid, Charterhouse, meeting the other members of Genesis, and how some of the songs were created. He describes the attitudes of young people back in 1960's Britain and mentions some of the partying they did while on tour (mostly he and Phil; Peter and Tony appear to have more or less abstained from boozing and drugging on the road, and there wasn't all that much about Steve). He tells a few hilarious stories about various people and events, and there are a few drug-related ones that gave me quite a chuckle. One such tale involved stashing some weed in a "secret compartment" by his seat on a flight, not being able to retrieve it, and then finding it again at a much, much later date. The one about the perpetually stoned roadie I thought was particularly funny, as well as when he and the rest of the Mechanics were on tour in Washington, D.C. and got a bit wasted. Through a friend with connections they actually gained access to the White House and were rummaging around in various rooms in the middle of the night whilst President Regan was asleep one floor above them (!) He does tend to paint Tony Banks in an unflattering way at certain points, which is something that Tony has taken issue with pretty strongly, but Mike has countered in a more recent interview by saying that there wasn't anything in the book that he wouldn't also have said directly to Tony's face. So no, not boring in any way!

A Cold Season by Allison Littleton

I just read House on Haunted Hill after listening to an abridged version on BBC ten years ago. I liked some of the set up but seriously over rated as the best or near best horror story.

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    I just read House on Haunted Hill after listening to an abridged version on BBC ten years ago. I liked some of the set up but seriously over rated as the best or near best horror story.
    Agreed. "House on Haunted Hill" is a good horror story but it hardly qualifies as a top 100 horror novel. At least in my opinion.

So many things to like about horror. For example- If like to be terrified, read Stephen King's "Pet Semetary" , "Salem's Lot" or "The Ruins" by Scott Smith or "The Damnation Game" by Clive Barker. I once made a list of my top 20 scariest novels, guaranteed to keep you up at night.

Like prog, it depends on what subgenre of horror you dig...Dig?