Page 44 of 176 FirstFirst ... 344041424344454647485494144 ... LastLast
Results 1,076 to 1,100 of 4383

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    I have read most of his and always look out for the new ones. I started with The Rotters Club purely because of the hatfield's title, and went from there. I love the book and enjoyed the BBC adaptation. The Close Circle was a good book and worth reading as I cared about the original characters and what had become of them.

I recently finished Number 11, and it is only loosely related to What A Carve Up. I enjoyed it a lot, and the fantasy creature aspect was a strange twist but I read it as an allegory for the current state of society and the rampant greed of the mega-rich /ruling class.
    Same here. Just finisted Coe's Number 11 too and I like it too, including the strange last chapter.
    I also have his "children"-book The Broken Mirror, while his CD 9th And 13th is also fun.
    Too bad not all of his novels are translated into Dutch (I have 10 by now), so I might go for some of the older originals too.

It's always welcome that Coe includes some musical subjects in his novels. This time he has a chapter about a song called Sink And Swim, which appears to be an existing tune by Louise Le May:

And the chapter The Cristal Garden was inspired by the song Madrigals Of The Rose Angel: 2. The Crystal Garden And A Coda from Harold Budd's first solo-recording The Pavillion Of Dreams:

Now I started reading The Wicked Boy by Kate Summerscale
    Last edited by interbellum; 08-17-2016 at 03:21 PM.

I am re-reading Tolkien's The Silmarillion, which I haven't read in about 20 years. There recently was a rumor that Peter Jackson was finally going to put this on the silver screen, but it turned out to be a hoax. It had me hyped up enough to want to re-read the book regardless of any movie adaption. After this, I think I will check out Lost Tales, as I have never read that one.
    "The mountains are calling and I must go" - John Muir

"To breathe the same air as the angels, you must go to Tahoe" - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    1100 pages into Stephen Kings "The Stand". Only 300 more to go !!!!
    Still possibly my favorite novel of all time!

About two minutes ago I finished reading a most wonderful biography, Al Jaffee's Mad Life, by Mary-Lou Wiseman. It came out in 2010 when Al was 89. Last I checked Al is still with us at 95. For all of us in our 50s, 60s, and 70s, MAD magazine was our island of subversiveness. The book chronicles Al's life in a Lithuania shetl as a yout, his adolescence in Brooklyn, and his over 50 years as one of the "usual gang of idiots." I loved his "Snappy Answers to Stupid Questions" and "MAD Fold-Ins." The book tells how he came up with all his ideas and silly inventions and why. The recent death of Jack Davis rekindled my interest in MAD and it's more well-known writers and artists. Where is Roger Kaputnik when you really need him?
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Just wrapped up King's "Finders Keepers" today, beginning "End of Watch" just as soon as I finished bingeing Bojack Horseman Season 2....
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

Quote Originally Posted by -=RTFR666=- View Post
    Just wrapped up King's "Finders Keepers" today, beginning "End of Watch" just as soon as I finished bingeing Bojack Horseman Season 2....
    As I mentioned earlier on this thread, I read the whole "Hodges Trilogy" and loved it! Amazing that after all of the works he's cranked out, he's still very much on his game. The thing I like best about his writing is his characters; they're three dimensional and you find yourself caring very much about them. Even the bad guys are really interesting, like the one in books I and (returning in book) III of this trilogy.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Oh, Florida! How America's Weirdest State Influences The Rest Of The Country by Craig Pittman

The book I recently finished, Bad Country, (post #1043) would make a great movie, if Hollywood could be convinced to quit remaking films and try something original for a change.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Listen, Liberal - Or, What Ever Happened to the Party of the People? - Thomas Franks

It ain't only the Republicans, y'all.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Just started with James Jones' From Here To Eternity in its latest uncensored edition.

Last week I read the new Harry Potter book written as a script for a play. It took a while to get used to that, I think there are weaknesses in the descriptions of the events. It was fairly short, and quite a good read with a pretty decent plot. I was surprised. and glad that they have decided not to bury the whole storyline. Glad to know a few more details about many of the characters.

an easy read with lots of nostalgia-driven details.

Jefferson James
    Just started Barbara Mandrell's "Get to the Heart." Kind of not getting into it at all, and the cover creeps me out. "Daddy would bang out time using a coat hanger as I memorized my pedal steel licks in the morning..."

41OWyvkUO3L._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I just finished reading "Story of Your Life," Ted Chiang's short story from which the soon-to-be released film, Arrival is based. Amy Adams plays the main protagonist, a linguist who is enlisted to help try to communicate with aliens who have arrived on Earth in several pods that have taken up residence all over the planet. The story is told first-person, and switches between "current day" and.....well, a different time frame. Can't really say more about this interesting storytelling device without giving too much away, but it's very creative. Chiang's story is philosophical and complex, and I'm very curious to see how they turn it into a film. I can't see how they won't have to embellish it to make it work on-screen.

Recommend the story, however. It's part of a short story collection of Chaing's works called Stories of Your Life and Others.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I'm looking forward to seeing Arrival when it comes out!

I went back to a book I'd left unfinished and read the rest. I'm Thinking Of Ending Things by Iain Reid, his first novel (2016). The entire book takes place inside a woman's head, her thoughts, her interactions with others; it starts out pretty weird. I wasn't sure at first that I wanted to finish reading it. It was like an internal conversation in the mind of someone who didn't seem quite right. But it turns into a psychological thriller. At least that's the best description I can come up with. It gets eerier and more suspenseful as you read. You're never sure if she means she is thinking of ending her life, or just her relationship with her boyfriend, who seems normal to her, but is she the best judge of 'normal?' A twisted but compelling read.
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

....finally starting King's End of Watch.

Just finished Book of the Dead, by Preston and Childs. On to 11/22/63 by King
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Just started Wayne Shorter biography, Footprints.

On to 11/22/63 by King
    Hope you like it. I did. Time travel is my favorite subgenre in science fiction. King handles it very well and covers all of the what-ifs.

I'm currently finishing up Ray Garton's Scissors. Ray is one of the original splatterpunks. While his stories are good and his writing fast-paced, he's really toned down the gore in recent novels.

Next up on the list is a history of Procol Harum.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    Hope you like it. I did. Time travel is my favorite subgenre in science fiction. King handles it very well and covers all of the what-ifs.
    Only about 15% through, but find it quite interesting!
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Quote Originally Posted by rapidfirerob View Post
    Just started Wayne Shorter biography, Footprints.
    Good book. I woulda loaned it to ya....
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    Listen, Liberal - Or, What Ever Happened to the Party of the People? - Thomas Franks

It ain't only the Republicans, y'all.
    Thanks for the recommendation. Reading now, along with two other books.

Quote Originally Posted by -=RTFR666=- View Post
    ....finally starting King's End of Watch.
    I'm about half-way through. So far, so good.

On to 11/22/63 by King
    Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    This one might be next. I've just been intimidated by its size (insert your joke here). But it pretty much has universal great reviews. And, between the time-travel aspect and the Kennedy assassination, I can't imagine that I'm not going to love it.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post
    Good book. I woulda loaned it to ya....
    Want Herbie's autobiography? I forgot to check the Cone Lending Library. My bad.
    Next up is Peter Erskine. Got his book? Haven't purchased it yet.

Just finished End of Watch - no complaints, satisfied with how the Hodges trilogy worked out. Now if I could only find my copy of 11/22/63 - it probably fell into the same alt-universe hidey hole where Chernow's Alexander Hamilton is gathering dust...

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    Thanks for the recommendation.
    Franks' "take" on the Democrats' idea of "meritocracy" are right on the money.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes