Page 38 of 176 FirstFirst ... 283435363738394041424888138 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I'm about halfway through it. It's a little bogged-down in technical mumbo-jumbo, but I feel like that will be restricted to the second act. Hoping there's more action in the third act.
    Fair warning - no spoilers - YMMV, but I haven't been so pissed off with a wrap-up since reading King's Dr. Sleep (or the conclusion of the Dark Tower series, for that matter...)
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

Quote Originally Posted by -=RTFR666=- View Post
    Fair warning - no spoilers - YMMV, but I haven't been so pissed off with a wrap-up since reading King's Dr. Sleep (or the conclusion of the Dark Tower series, for that matter...)
    Damn.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

The Whites by Richard Price. So good. I love all his stuff. It's cop opera, but so well written, so effortless and readable, and always a believable satisfying ending.

Quote Originally Posted by BaldJean View Post
    All books of Peter Ackroyd are about London.
    He does love his city. But he's written some biographies, and is working on a more general history of Britian. His book "Albion" focuses on what I'll call the British Aesthetic, and I quite enjoyed it.

So, is whats happening to music also happening to books? So much available out there in electronic format that people are now able to get books for free? I have never really looked into that - being that I would always expect to pay for my books - just like my music. Do publishers have the same issues music publishers have?

Quote Originally Posted by headcrash View Post
    The Whites by Richard Price. So good. I love all his stuff. It's cop opera, but so well written, so effortless and readable, and always a believable satisfying ending.
    I read Freedomland 17 years ago. Loved how he takes the time to tell his story.

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    So, is whats happening to music also happening to books? So much available out there in electronic format that people are now able to get books for free? I have never really looked into that - being that I would always expect to pay for my books - just like my music. Do publishers have the same issues music publishers have?
    There are a lot of older books that are available for free, but I have no clue how it all works from a financial standpoint. Although I still buy physical CD’s, for books I read pretty much exclusively electronic on my kindle these days.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    There are a lot of older books that are available for free, but I have no clue how it all works from a financial standpoint. Although I still buy physical CD’s, for books I read pretty much exclusively electronic on my kindle these days.
    I would not want a kindle. Call me old-fashioned, but I am very much a haptic person. I need to hold a book in my hand or hands (depending on size). Reading from a kindle would not give m half the joy. I read some books online, and that left me dissatisfied as well.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I would not want a kindle. Call me old-fashioned, but I am very much a haptic person. I need to hold a book in my hand or hands (depending on size). Reading from a kindle would not give me half the joy. I read some books online, and that left me dissatisfied as well.

I would not want a kindle. Call me old-fashioned, but I am very much a haptic person. I need to hold a book in my hand or hands (depending on size). Reading from a kindle would not give me half the joy. I read some books online, and that left me dissatisfied as well.
    You posted your kindle comment twice.
    Last edited by Sonia_Mota; 01-23-2016 at 06:49 AM.

Sorry, I have no idea how that happened. Nice to see you again on another forum.

For me it is more about my old eyes. On the kindle I can make the font what ever size that I want which makes things much easier to read. When reading out of conventional books, unless I have my bi-focal glasses on (I wear contact lenses much of the time) it has become very difficult for me to read. I fought getting a kindle for a long time, but now I absolutly love it.

I read almost exclusively on my iPad. This is not by choice. My wife hates overhead lights or bright lights, she likes to watch TV in a dark room. I got sick of her complaining whenever I turned a lamp on to read. So almost all of my reading is e-books. It's too bad because I have lots of physical books to peruse. My wife was in my office reading a book the other afternoon and as the light faded she admitted she needed the overhead light on. It was a little victory.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

If you love science fiction, Mike Resnick's "Starship" series is a great and fun read.
    Starship: Mutiny (#1)
    Starship: Pirate (#2)
    Starship: Mercenary (#3)
    Starship: Rebel (#4)
    Starship: Flagship (#5)
    For more info: https://www.goodreads.com/series/49885-starship

I would not want a kindle. Call me old-fashioned, but I am very much a haptic person. I need to hold a book in my hand or hands (depending on size). Reading from a kindle would not give m half the joy. I read some books online, and that left me dissatisfied as well.
    I'm with you, Jean. Nothing like a real book with cover art and back cover and flap copy. I work in the publishing bidness, and almost all my work-a-day reading is on screen. My eyes go crazy after a while. I just can't stick with online reading like I can with a real book or magazine.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Friede and I are currently reading this (we like to lie on our bellies with a book in front of us which we read together):

S. is a 2013 novel written by Doug Dorst and conceived by J.J. Abrams. The novel is unusual in its format, presented as a story within a story. It is composed of the novel Ship of Theseus by a fictional author, and hand-written notes filling the book's margins as a dialogue between two college students hoping to uncover the author's mysterious identity and the novel's secret plus loose supplementary materials tucked in between pages.

S. has been called "part work of art, literary experiment, and love letter to the physical expression of books

Due to its highly unusual structure it is a very complicated read.

Friede and I are currently reading this (we like to lie on our bellies with a book in front of us which we read together):

S. is a 2013 novel written by Doug Dorst and conceived by J.J. Abrams. The novel is unusual in its format, presented as a story within a story. It is composed of the novel Ship of Theseus by a fictional author, and hand-written notes filling the book's margins as a dialogue between two college students hoping to uncover the author's mysterious identity and the novel's secret plus loose supplementary materials tucked in between pages.

S. has been called "part work of art, literary experiment, and love letter to the physical expression of books

Due to its highly unusual structure it is a very complicated read.
    I read that one too: See post 676, in which I posted this YT:

I've been using my iPad to read for a few years now. Before that I was using a Kobo (Canadian Kindle) e-reader. 95% of my reading is done during my commute to/from work and I was tired of lugging around bricks all the time. Once you get used to the potential glare off the iPad it's a great e-reader. As mentioned in posts above, you can adjust lighting, fonts, print size. You can lug around an entire trilogy in a convenient size. I thought I'd miss physical books and it's fun to return to them on occasion (like when I read at home and won't be carrying the thing around), but I'll stick with the current technology. I thought I'd never get an iPod either, or do the digital download thing... live in the NOW, Luddites!
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    I've been using my iPad to read for a few years now. Before that I was using a Kobo (Canadian Kindle) e-reader. 95% of my reading is done during my commute to/from work and I was tired of lugging around bricks all the time. Once you get used to the potential glare off the iPad it's a great e-reader. As mentioned in posts above, you can adjust lighting, fonts, print size. You can lug around an entire trilogy in a convenient size. I thought I'd miss physical books and it's fun to return to them on occasion (like when I read at home and won't be carrying the thing around), but I'll stick with the current technology. I thought I'd never get an iPod either, or do the digital download thing... live in the NOW, Luddites!
    Same for me. I resisted for a long time. Then my wife got a kindle and I tried it and got hooked. Like you it is kind of nice not lugging around heavy books when I travel and it is just so easy to buy e-books…….maybe too easy. The one and only drawback with the kindle is if you happen to be outside in bright sunlight they are pretty worthless. Not easy to take to the beach, but other than that I love it.

I still prefer the feel and experience of holding the actual book. However, I was given a Kindle a few years ago, and have seen the benefit of this as well.
    The Kindle is great for getting harder to find books. Now, it comes down to which medium affords the better price. I am ok with either.
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Started reading int An Officer And A Spy by Robert Harris. Although it contains a lot of names to remember, it reads quite pleasant.

I absolutely love my Nook. I have hundreds of books and I never find myself without something to read. It pisses off my wife, but I never regret having an entire library with me on my cell phone. Its just so damn convenient.

By the way, I haven't put down Game of Thrones, but its weird, its so long that you just lose track of everything. Its like reading 10 different medieval novels at once. I do take frequent breaks to head back to my passion which is Theoretical Physics. Next on my plate is Lawrence Krauses books.

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    I absolutely love my Nook. I have hundreds of books and I never find myself without something to read.
    I have one of the original Nooks, which still works perfectly, and of course it's synced up with the Nook app on my phone and iPad.

But I've started using the Kindle app because it has one important feature that Nook doesn't have: It knows the last page I was on, and regardless of what device I'm using, it always takes me to the right page. Nook doesn't do that.

Also - if you want to borrow ebooks from your local library, you need to use Kindle as your reader.

With my extensive business travels, as long as I have my phone with me, I have plenty to read. Helps when sitting on a plane, in an airport, alone at a restaurant, în a hotel room, etc...

Sent Via Progressive Ears's Mobile App
    Last edited by Duncan Glenday; 02-03-2016 at 10:40 AM.
    Regards,

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post

With my extensive business travels, as long as I have my phone with me, I have plenty to read. Helps when sitting on a plane, in an airport, alone at a restaurant, în a hotel room, etc...
    Love this aspect of the Kindle.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I'm reading instruction manuals and blogs on how to use my new Weber Smokey Mountain smoker. After 40 years in various forms of academia reading for pleasure was ruined for me. I now read for information (studies show males prefer non-fiction anyways) and this is good information.
    "The woods would be very silent if the only birds that sang were those who sang best..." - Henry David Thoreau