Page 26 of 176 FirstFirst ... 162223242526272829303676126 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Been reading the Dagger and the Coin series by Daniel Abraham. It's a slightly different take on epic fantasy, where one of the main characters is a girl who grew up in a banking household. She was raised to be a banker, so much of the intrigue is related to finance and banking at the time. There is some little magic, but not much at all. The plots are mostly courtly intrigue, wars, border plots, murder, and of course the financial aspect of the kingdoms.

Written very well indeed.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Just started on Trigger Warning: Short Fictions and Disturbances by Neil Gaiman
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

Currently reading John Abercrombie's "First Law" trilogy as well as "Learned Optimism" by Dr Marty Seligman.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    Been reading the Dagger and the Coin series by Daniel Abraham. It's a slightly different take on epic fantasy, where one of the main characters is a girl who grew up in a banking household. She was raised to be a banker, so much of the intrigue is related to finance and banking at the time. There is some little magic, but not much at all. The plots are mostly courtly intrigue, wars, border plots, murder, and of course the financial aspect of the kingdoms.

Written very well indeed.
    Not to mention that it has one of the most fleshed out Dark Lord characters in recent memory.

Currently reading John Abercrombie's "First Law" trilogy
    Another fine case of every trope in fantasy getting cruelly gutted and turned on its head.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Does that mean you liked it?

I loved it. The last five or six chapters of book three were one mindfuck after another.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I'm barely 3 chapters into book 1. I still have it as a sampler on my reader. I need to read an entire sampler before I decide if I want to buy or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Not to mention that it has one of the most fleshed out Dark Lord characters in recent memory.
    ... and he is a Dark Lord character that is mostly clueless about his own motivations and feeble inner character. An interesting perspective - the insecure child turned dark lord, outwardly pretending to be a hard man while inwardly still insecure.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

"The Financial Lives of the Poets" by Jess Walter, the funny, sharp novel about newspaper financial reporter who chucks it all to start a website dedicated to financial analysis and advice written in free-verse poetry, and how he deals with the economic (what he calls "fiscal Ebola") and personal fall-out. The first of his that I've read and I'll definitely be getting more.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    ... and he is a Dark Lord character that is mostly clueless about his own motivations and feeble inner character. An interesting perspective - the insecure child turned dark lord, outwardly pretending to be a hard man while inwardly still insecure.

I'm up to date with this series as well. Looking forward to the next installment. I got book 1 as an extra when I purchased Leviathan Wakes (book 1 of The Expanse) by James S.A.Corey ( Abraham is half of this writing team). I much preferred this series to The Expanse.

A book called Jack and Jill by Kealan Patrick Burke. Kind of hard-to-take story about a young mother and wife who can't shake the nightmares of her low-life father who molested her and killed her brother. Man, now I'm having nightmares.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

The Hydrogen Sonata by Iain M. Banks.
    His last Culture novel and the last before his death.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Im in the middle of Moriarty by Anthony Horowitz. Its a Sherlock Holmes pastiche set in the period when Holmes was missing and thought dead after the Reichenbach Falls incident. The story follows Inspector Athelney Jones of Scotland Yard, a student of Holmes methods, asisited by an American Pinkerton detective in pursuit of a criminal determined to fill the crime vacume left in Moriarty's death. Excellent, written in Doyles style. Im totally enjoying it, 10 of 10 for me.

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    Im in the middle of Moriarty by Anthony Horowitz. Its a Sherlock Holmes pastiche set in the period when Holmes was missing and thought dead after the Reichenbach Falls incident. The story follows Inspector Athelney Jones of Scotland Yard, a student of Holmes methods, asisited by an American Pinkerton detective in pursuit of a criminal determined to fill the crime vacume left in Moriarty's death. Excellent, written in Doyles style. Im totally enjoying it, 10 of 10 for me.
    Hmm...that sounds really interesting. I still have to finish the Holmes stories, but I'm adding this one to my list.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hmm...that sounds really interesting. I still have to finish the Holmes stories, but I'm adding this one to my list.

Finished Moriarty. It held up till the end with one wicked twist. Same author dd another Holmes pastiche ,The House Of Silk. Im starting this one tonight, with high expectations.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Play On - Mick Fleetwood
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Terry Pratchett has died, such a loss, RIP
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

All about affiliate marketing and drop shipping

Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    All about affiliate marketing and drop shipping
    Sounds like a real page-turner.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I'm waiting for the HBO series!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Sounds like a real page-turner.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    I'm waiting for the HBO series!
    You guys!

After finishing Steinbeck's "East of Eden" (another great book with a somewhat disappointing ending), I'm back to Stephen King yet again; "Lisey's Story." He says it's his favorite, so I was curious. I'm about halfway through.

Cryptonomicon - Neal Stephenson
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    You guys!

After finishing Steinbeck's "East of Eden" (another great book with a somewhat disappointing ending), I'm back to Stephen King yet again; "Lisey's Story." He says it's his favorite, so I was curious. I'm about halfway through.
    I'm currently re-reading King's "Christine". I believe this was his first book I read when I bought it in 1984.

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    Cryptonomicon - Neal Stephenson
    I've had that one for a long time, but I'm intimidated by its size (that's what she said).

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I've had that one for a long time, but I'm intimidated by its size (that's what she said).
    There's some wonderful writing in that book but I've given up on Stephenson due to his inability/indifference to writing a decent ending.