Page 23 of 177 FirstFirst ... 131920212223242526273373123 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you currently reading?

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    What If?: Serious Scientific Answers To Absurd Hypothetical Questions by Randall Munroe. Truly entertaining book.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Idea Man by Paul Allen. News flash: Bill Gates is a dick.
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    Heard about it, but didn't realize it's intended for young adults. Like I said earlier in this thread, I'm getting a little burnt out on the sameness of his novels, but then again, the four I've read are earlier works. I might give it a try at some point and thanks for reminding me that he has a new one!

One of the last books I will have to read with respect to my job:

Intentional Interruption: Breaking Down Learning Barriers to Transform Professional Practice.

It focuses on how to shake up the status quo in schools in order to have permanent, positive change in those schools through "Learning Cycles".

Now you know why I am happy it will be one of the last ones I ever have to read.
    "The woods would be very silent if the only birds that sang were those who sang best..." - Henry David Thoreau

Different Every Time-The Authorized Biography of Robert Wyatt by Marcus O'Dair.

Diving head first into this one.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

nothing until the World Series is finished. then I have a lot of studying to do.

Inherent Vice by Thomas Pynchon. I tried reading Gravity's Rainbow once, but could not get into the slow beginning. This hippie-noir book is more my speed.

If you have a iPad or Kindle you can download Edgar Allan Poes works for free @ Openculture.

Just starting "Jethro Tull's Thick as a Brick and A Passion Play: Inside Two Long Songs"

http://www.amazon.com/Jethro-Tulls-T...two+long+songs

And "Turn Me On, Dead Man: The Beatles and the Paul is Dead Hoax" will be next.

http://www.amazon.com/Turn-Me-Dead-M...s=paul+is+dead
    Check out my solo project prog band, Mutiny in Jonestown at https://mutinyinjonestown.bandcamp.com/

Check out my solo project progressive doom metal band, WytchCrypt at https://wytchcrypt.bandcamp.com/

I read for pure escapism. I've been on a fantasy kick of late. The latest series to grab me is Michael J. Sullivan's " The Riyria Revelations". I just devoured 80% of book one in a matter of days! The best part is, the entire series is already finished so no waiting for years in between books!
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    If you have a iPad or Kindle you can download Edgar Allan Poes works for free @ Openculture.
    Actually, you can download most "classic" literature for free straight from the Kindle store (if you have a Kindle, duh!)

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    Actually, you can download most "classic" literature for free straight from the Kindle store (if you have a Kindle, duh!)
    Or if you have any Android device - you can get a Kindle app from the Google Play store (not sure if that's available in iTunes - I suspect that it is).
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    I just finished the last of the 13 volumes of Vince Flynn's Mitch Rapp series. Apparently his estate has arranged for another writer to complete his last book and then write 2 more.

Just wrapped up Paul Allen - Idea Man, now reading John Sandford's latest Virgil Flowers offering, Deadline.
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

Quote Originally Posted by -=RTFR666=- View Post
    now reading John Sandford's latest Virgil Flowers offering, Deadline.
    The last couple Lucas Davenport novels have improved, but I'm finding that I prefer the Virgil Flowers books now.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Just started reading BILLY IDOL, Dancing With Myself, so far so good! Bye the way his new album is very good!

Currently, I'm working on I Love Galesburg in the Springtime by Jack Finney. It's a collection, published in 1962, of some of his short stories, all with some fantasy or time-travel element in them. Wonderful stuff. Jack also wrote The Invasion of the Body Snatchers (at least three movies made from it), a bunch of caper novels (almost all made into movies), and probably the greatest time-travel novel ever (after The Time Machine, of course), Time and Again.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

I'm reading Powerpoint presentations on what paperwork I have to complete/submit when I retire in 6 months. The most interesting and enjoyable read I've had in 30 years.
    "The woods would be very silent if the only birds that sang were those who sang best..." - Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by gryphs also View Post
    I'm reading Powerpoint presentations on what paperwork I have to complete/submit when I retire in 6 months. The most interesting and enjoyable read I've had in 30 years.
    When are you retiring Tony?

OK - Just finished "Wages of Sin" -
    Reading - "The Noonday Demon" - Andrew Solomon and
    The Invisible Front, love and loss in an era of endless War"

On the backburner is "All The Light We Cannot See." a rare novel for me.

Just started Herbie Hancock - Possibilities and I'm already liking it a lot! He's as cool a guy as he is a great musician.

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    I read for pure escapism. I've been on a fantasy kick of late.
    Me too, although I need to remember how to read some technical texts. My favourites are Mira Grant/Seanan McGuire (October Daye!) and Jim Butcher (Dresden Files).

Can anyone help me with the 3 Tom Petty bios? Is one better than than the others or are there 2 must-reads?

I guess this book is mentioned somewhere in this thread. I've just started reading David Byrne's How Music Works.