Page 15 of 176 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718192565115 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Nash has always struck me as a really, really cool guy. I might have to pick this one up.
    Sorry to go off topic, but this was a great recent interview with Graham Nash:

Nash has always struck me as a really, really cool guy. I might have to pick this one up.
    As stated originally, Nash's book is a lot of the same old stuff, but his descriptions of David Crosby's battle/love affair with freebase is truly hair-raising.

I gotta say that McCormac's "The Road" is really sucking me in. I like his style! What would be the next logical choice from him? I'll want to explore more, after I read the final installment in Donaldson's "Chronicles Of Thomas Covenant", which will be available for download on Oct 15.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by Dave the Brave View Post
    Gee man. Don't you know that O S Card must be boycotted.

He is after all a raging homophobe and racist.

DtB
    QFT

Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Just started on John Irving: Last Night in Twisted River.

I'm an Irving fan and of course, I read it. Not quite as good as the one that preceded it (Until I Find You) and much better than his latest (In One Person), which may be my least favorite of his. Twisted River was pretty good though and I don't regret having read it in the least; it's fairly classic Irving.
    Yes, it getting a bit long, but my wife loved it I'll check out 'Until I Find You' !

Yes, it getting a bit long, but my wife loved it
    We're still talking about books, right?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I guess you have the associations you deserve ?

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    I gotta say that McCormac's "The Road" is really sucking me in. I like his style! What would be the next logical choice from him? I'll want to explore more, after I read the final installment in Donaldson's "Chronicles Of Thomas Covenant", which will be available for download on Oct 15.
    Cormac rocks, man. But "The Road" is sui generis, in some sense. It's so...pared down, in a beautiful way. But if you want beautiful prose, and I mean perhaps the most beautiful prose I've ever read, "Blood Meridian" is the ticket.

Loved the Road. Tried to read Blood Meridian but gave up after about 1/2 way through. So damned depressing and violent.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Yes, it getting a bit long, but my wife loved it I'll check out 'Until I Find You' !
    We're still talking about books, right?
    Nyuk, nyuk, nyuk.

Anyhow... "Until I Find You" is really long! But there's a mind blowing plot twist about 2/3rds of the way through that makes it so worthwhile! And that's all I have to say about that...

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    Loved the Road. Tried to read Blood Meridian but gave up after about 1/2 way through. So damned depressing and violent.
    It's incredibly dark and violent....no doubt about it. It's also a brilliant subversion of the iconic Western, and I personally think the "aesthetic disconnect" between the brutal and inhuman subject matter and the sheer beauty of the prose is part of the "Statement." But don't get me wrong, it's not a philosophy textbook, it's a novel, and a pretty epic story on it's own....

Last book i finished was Pynchon's Bleeding Edge - i wasn't feeling well, literally nothing to do, finished it in one sitting which would cause most's brains to deflate maybe...before was Kobo Abe - The Ruined Map, Gore Vidal - The City And The Pillar, The Dreaming Jewels - Theodore Sturgeon, Dave Eggers - Hologram For The King, and Susan Sontag - I, Etcetera & Death Kit.

Now on hand and selected at random: Kobo Abe - Face Of Another, Woody Allen - Side Effects, Isaac Asimov - Nightfall & Foundation Trilogy, Zadie Smith - On Beauty, J. M. Coetzee - Summertime, Stephen King - DT 4.5 Wind Through The Keyhole, George Orwell - 1984, Phillip Roth - Portnoy's Complaint, Henry Miller - Tropic Of Cancer, Michael Chabon - Adventures Of Kavalier And Clay, Robert Anton Wilson - Illuminatus, David Foster Wallace & Dave Lipsky - Although Of Course You End Up Becoming Yourself

i have no life, obviously.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Recently finished The Cosmic Puppets by Philip K Dick
    Now reading Eye In The Sky by Philip K Dick
    On deck Wild Tales by Graham Nash and The Thicket by Joe R Lansdale
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Now reading Scott Lynch's The Republic of Thieves. For those not familiar with Lynch, he writes dark fantasy in a world somewhat equivalent to 16th-17th century southern Europe. His protagonists are con men who while quite clever, often get caught up in higher stakes games than they bargained for. Think Pirates of the Caribbean crossed with Oceans Eleven, except the stakes are always higher.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

About 3/4 through Sherrilyn Kenyon's "Styxx". This is basically the follow-up to her "Acheron" book several years ago. Styxx is Acheron;s twin brother, and the story is told from his point of view. Typical lack of communication and misunderstood intentions causing severly traumatic family problems. Very much along the lines of Acheron, which you would expect since it's a parallel story line.

These are not small books, and yes I do find that I want her to move it along faster at times rather than finding yet another way to have the main character beaten and buggered, but her style keeps me coming back for more. It is well written, and I do like the theme of competing pantheons of gods (Atlantean, Greek, Egyptian) and how they are more juvinile and spoiled in their relationship with humans. A good historical fantasy read, but definitely read Acheron first.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Finished the Pynchon, enjoyed it a lot...now reading "Afterzen" by Janwillem Van de Wetering.

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    The Thicket by Joe R Lansdale
    Oh joy! Another Lansdale reader! He is the absolute best! I haven't read The Thicket yet, but it's on my list. I thought he was going to be the next Stephen King; now I'm convinced he's the current Truman Capote. Last one I read was Devil Red. Looking forward to the next Hap and Leonard book.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Mean Deviation - Four Decades of Progressive Heavy Metal

LOTS of bands to explore. The author does a nice job of tying early Prog & early Hard Rock together and showing examples of "cross-breeding". I'm only 1/3 of the way through it.

Joe Lansdale--he was here in town signing and promoting his newest book at Barnes & Nobles. Sadly I didn't know and missed him. I think he's touring around doing the same, you might check his website for appearances.

Here's a link for 14 books that are being turned into movies: http://www.ocean985.com/2013/06/26/1...he-big-screen/

Journey to the Centre of the Earth by Jules Verne. Although the 1959 film with James Mason and the cartoon series took ideas from the novel, they played fast and loose with the plot. I loved them both, along with other Verne stories, which is why I finally got around to reading Journey to the Centre of the Earth.
    Member since Wednesday 09.09.09

I'm currently reading "On the Road" by Jack Kerouac. My mom got it for me as a birthday present a few years ago for my 40th birthday and I finally got around to starting it a few months ago. I'm not quite half way through it. I admit I'm a rather slow reader. So far so good. It's not the fastest pace book in the world but it's starting to get interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    Here's a link for 14 books that are being turned into movies: http://www.ocean985.com/2013/06/26/1...he-big-screen/
    Good to see that Joe Hill's Horns will be a movie. Excellent book. I hadn't thought of Daniel Radcliffe as the main character, but I can see that working right nicely.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

About 3/4 through "Johnny Carson" by Henry Bushkin (Financial Advisor Bombastic Bushkin )
    Wonderful narrative to illustrate the axiom "Absolute Power corrupts......Absolutely"

Carson was out of control!.....yet the TV showed him as Mr. Normal.

The author Knew his job was killing his relationship with his family yet he couldn't stop....

Fascinating read.....but a throw-away story.....borrow the book to read it.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

interviews with the Melvins & JD Wilkes and Bill Wyman's book, 'Stone Alone'