Page 14 of 177 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464114 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Hope is not a strategy - not sure of the author but I am reading this for a training class. They always make us sales professionals read these awful books.

Enjoying Hellraiser by Ginger Baker much more though not as fun as the movie Beware of Mr Baker.

"American Scripture: Making the Declaration of Independence" by Pauline Maier. Really amazing how much the Declaration of Independence, as well as the Bill of Rights, are based in English law. Titles, structure, audience, even exact wording at times. Even in declaring independence, some of our founding fathers sound like they felt that they were upholding English law better than Parliament and the King.
    I think the subtext is rapidly becoming text.

Finally finished reading Stephen King's Under the Dome a couple weeks ago - took me most of the summer, due to being busy and the sheer length of the book.

I liked it. I'd put it in the top half of what I've read by King. The political allegory was rather obvious, but it was still entertaining. The ending wasn't as unsatisfying as I was expecting, as I'd read in many places (including here, I'm sure) that it was a typical King ending. After enjoying the book and watching the first episode of the TV show, I decided I'd be better off with just the book.

I'm now reading Dan Brown's Inferno. So far, it's decent. I know Brown is a rather controversial author in that some really like him and some loathe him. I can understand the criticisms, but IMO he writes a decent page-turning thriller, and this one's no different. I wouldn't give it any awards, and those who don't like Brown won't be swayed here, but it's entertaining enough.

Question for those who have read Vince Flynn: I've read Term Limits, and would like to read "what's next" after I'm done Inferno. However, looking up the Mitch Rapp series online, it seems like he didn't write the novels chronologically. Or, at least, he didn't release them chronologically. So, my question is what is the best way to read these - chronologically by release date, or chronologically by storyline? Thanks!
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Just started on John Irving: Last Night in Twisted River.

Reading Neil Gaiman's "American Gods". My first time reading some Gaiman. Not sure what to make of it. It's decent wnough to keep me turning the pages but not anything truly thought-provoking. I hear HBO are supposed to make a 6-season series out of this. I'm trying to see where they will get enough material to make that happen. I have to figure that Shadow's journey will be a lot longer on the screen than on paper.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    Reading Neil Gaiman's "American Gods". My first time reading some Gaiman. Not sure what to make of it. It's decent wnough to keep me turning the pages but not anything truly thought-provoking. I hear HBO are supposed to make a 6-season series out of this. I'm trying to see where they will get enough material to make that happen. I have to figure that Shadow's journey will be a lot longer on the screen than on paper.
    I liked American Gods a lot.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I'm now reading Dan Brown's Inferno. So far, it's decent. I know Brown is a rather controversial author in that some really like him and some loathe him. I can understand the criticisms, but IMO he writes a decent page-turning thriller, and this one's no different. I wouldn't give it any awards, and those who don't like Brown won't be swayed here, but it's entertaining enough.
    Me too - it's on my cell phone, which seems to have become the way I do more reading than ever.

Question for those who have read Vince Flynn: I've read Term Limits, and would like to read "what's next" after I'm done Inferno. However, looking up the Mitch Rapp series online, it seems like he didn't write the novels chronologically. Or, at least, he didn't release them chronologically. So, my question is what is the best way to read these - chronologically by release date, or chronologically by storyline? Thanks!
    As I recall, they were all in sequence excelt for the last one, which (chronologically) was actually the first.

'Course with Vince Flynn's recent death, the Mitch Rapp series has now ended.
    Regards,

Duncan

I loved American Gods but I will admit I got far more from it the second read.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Finally finished reading Stephen King's Under the Dome a couple weeks ago - took me most of the summer, due to being busy and the sheer length of the book.

I liked it. I'd put it in the top half of what I've read by King. The political allegory was rather obvious, but it was still entertaining. The ending wasn't as unsatisfying as I was expecting, as I'd read in many places (including here, I'm sure) that it was a typical King ending. After enjoying the book and watching the first episode of the TV show, I decided I'd be better off with just the book.
    Glad you liked it, Scott! A few folks participating on the thread on the tv series are reading (or have read) the book and think it was boring. For the life of me, I can't understand that! I did watch one episode of the show and thought it stunk. The book is the far wiser choice!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Just started on John Irving: Last Night in Twisted River.
    I'm an Irving fan and of course, I read it. Not quite as good as the one that preceded it (Until I Find You) and much better than his latest (In One Person), which may be my least favorite of his. Twisted River was pretty good though and I don't regret having read it in the least; it's fairly classic Irving.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I liked American Gods a lot.
    I like it well enough but I'm out of the loop in reading contemporary stories. Over the last few years I've been either reading hard core science fiction or classics by the likes of Fitzgerald, Wilde, Dickens, etc... Gaiman's style, in this book, is like a cross between Gene Wolfe and Steven King.

I have some Cormac McCarthy up next: The Road. I really enjoyed the movie adaption with Viggo Mortensen so now I want to read the book then watch the movie again.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Interviews with Buzz Osborne have interrupted my reading of Bill Wyman's 'Stone Alone.'

The Road in book form is definitely far better then the movie. In fact I think it may be truly essential to getting a full understanding of the movie. Try not to read too much of it in one sitting. It is definitely a "read a chapter and think about it" kind of book. The chapters are usually very short.

American Gods was a good read for me too, but I agree that I can;t see a whole series coming from it.

Currently completing Upton Sinclair's The Jungle. If you thought Cormack McCarthy is a depressing read then you need to read The Jungle too. It is a classic and I am glad I finished it, but half way through I was going to give up because I was feeling so bad about everything. Really affected me in a negative way. I guess that means it was written well - I got into it.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Just started Neil Youn'g "Waging Heavy Peace".

Steve Sly

Reading Pynchon's new one, "Bleeding Edge." Great, so far!

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post
    Reading Pynchon's new one, "Bleeding Edge." Great, so far!
    Best thing he's written since Mason & Dixon - I loved it!

I read it more or less immediately after finishing Sergio la Pava's A Naked Singularity - which was good enough, but I don't think it benefitted from the comparison with the Pynchon!

In between the two, I also read James Salter's Light Years, which turned out to be one of the best books I have ever read. Deeply moving, stunningly well written, unflinchingly honest - just magnificent.

I'm inclined to agree, though I haven't finished...I liked Inherent Vice but I felt it was a bit lightweight...this one seems to deal with more "weighty" issues, though it's still in the same sort of "quasi-detective-pulpish-thriller-mystery" vein....

RIP Tom Clancy
    Regards,

Duncan

Someone lent me this book recently:

In The Heart Of The Sea: The Tragedy Of The Whaleship Essex by Nathaniel Philbrick

I'm almost done with the book. Absolutely fascinating. Just edge of your seat fascinating. Don't wanna spoil it for anyone in case they like these types of stories. It's a true story about Nantucketers and whalers being lost at sea for months and the drastic measures they took to stay alive. Well, now I knows what a "Nantucket Sleighride" is and who "Owen Coffin" is. Seriously, a highly recommended book if you enjoy reading true stories of survival at sea.

Been working my way through the Hornblower series by C.S. Forester. I had read one or two previously but thought I'd tackle them in order this time.

Tom

Experimental Music-Cage And Beyond by Michael Nyman.

I've been meaning to read this book for about 20 years and never got around to it..till now.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Just finished Graham Nash's autobiography, "Wild Tales". I guess I've been reading too many old rockers' memoirs lately cause they all seem the same: English lad born in 40's/50's to lower/middle class family, leaves school to pursue music career, gets famous, does too many drugs, has lots of sex, argues with/breaks up with bandmates, gets back together/reconciles with bandmates, lives happily ever after. The only thing different about Nash is his long history of activism and philanthropy, a lot of which I was unfamiliar with. He's probably given away more money/time than any 50 of us normal walkin'-around people, and that to me is admirable.

Quote Originally Posted by headcrash View Post
    Just finished Graham Nash's autobiography, "Wild Tales". I guess I've been reading too many old rockers' memoirs lately cause they all seem the same: English lad born in 40's/50's to lower/middle class family, leaves school to pursue music career, gets famous, does too many drugs, has lots of sex, argues with/breaks up with bandmates, gets back together/reconciles with bandmates, lives happily ever after. The only thing different about Nash is his long history of activism and philanthropy, a lot of which I was unfamiliar with. He's probably given away more money/time than any 50 of us normal walkin'-around people, and that to me is admirable.
    Is this a new book or has it been around a while. I did not realize he had a bio out. I have read David Crosby's and am currently reading Neil Young's, so might be interested in this one.

Steve Sly

Almost done with Earth Afire, by Orson Scott Card and Aaron Johnston. Read the first one "Earth Unaware" about 6 months or more ago. These are the prequels to Enders Game, describing the origins of the Formic War. Pretty straightforward tales so far. Easy reading, nothing too terribly exciting, but nothing too terribly wrong to complain about either.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by headcrash View Post
    Nash has always struck me as a really, really cool guy. I might have to pick this one up.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    Almost done with Earth Afire, by Orson Scott Card and Aaron Johnston.
    Gee man. Don't you know that O S Card must be boycotted.

He is after all a raging homophobe and racist.

DtB