Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: New Queensryche Due April 23rd

This just keeps getting better and better.

TateRyche to release both the crappy-sounding version and new and improved Billy Sherwood version of new album.

God forbid you don't get your album out before your competition!
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    This just keeps getting better and better.

TateRyche to release both the crappy-sounding version and new and improved Billy Sherwood version of new album.

God forbid you don't get your album out before your competition!
    Quote Originally Posted by That record label statement View Post
    Now fans will be able to decide which mix they feel best represents the album: the original mix, which will be released on April 23rd, or the new mix by Billy Sherwood that will be made available at a future date to be announced…. WE REMIX, YOU DECIDE!"
    I can't even begin to understand this decision. I'm guessing that it's a label decision, but throwing out an inferior sounding product and then telling their customers that they might like another version released sometime in the future better is absurd. What if I buy the CD and then decide I want the Sherwood mix instead when that arrives? I'm stuck paying for both? Or are fans supposed to sit back and wait for the Sherwood mix and then listen to side-by-side samples and then decide? Whatever momentum and interest that they did have going (and there are fans out there that want to hear what this lineup releases, despite the name squabble) is really going to take a hit, imho. I think they are doing Tate's band a real disservice here.

Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    I just looked at the writing credits for Mindcrime and Empire on Wikipedia and they break down like this:

Mindcrime-15 tracks:

Tate 12
    DeGarmo 9
    Wilton 7
    Rockenfield 1

Empire-11 tracks:

DeGarmo 9
    Tate 8
    Wilton 5
    Rockenfield 1

So for the two albums that sell the overwhelming bulk of "Queensryche" concert tickets you've got 20 in Tate's band compared to 14 in the other band. Of course DeGarmo has 18 writing credits between those two albums. It really seems to me that both bands are totally deserving of the "Fakeryche" designation.
    Degarmo wasn't writing 100% of the material, but the truth is that after he left the songwriting became a bit mediocre and Queensryche lost most of their originality.

Even in his last one with QR, the controversial "Hear in the now frontier" i can listen to some good songs and some of their trademark sound.

Banned
    I just looked at the writing credits for Mindcrime and Empire on Wikipedia and they break down like this:

Mindcrime-15 tracks:

Tate 12
    DeGarmo 9
    Wilton 7
    Rockenfield 1

Empire-11 tracks:

DeGarmo 9
    Tate 8
    Wilton 5
    Rockenfield 1

So for the two albums that sell the overwhelming bulk of "Queensryche" concert tickets you've got 20 in Tate's band compared to 14 in the other band. Of course DeGarmo has 18 writing credits between those two albums. It really seems to me that both bands are totally deserving of the "Fakeryche" designation.
    Always raining on the parade? I think someone needs a timeout. Since Tate's version of QR only has himself as an official QR member, while the other version has 3 official QR members, I think that the one without Tate deserves the name.

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    Always raining on the parade? I think someone needs a timeout. Since Tate's version of QR only has himself as an official QR member, while the other version has 3 official QR members, I think that the one without Tate deserves the name.
    DeGarmo wrote most of the hits and isn't in either band so what seems just to me would be if the judge says "OK, let's split the name down the middle." And gives Tate "Queens" and gives the others "Ryche".
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    I can't even begin to understand this decision. I'm guessing that it's a label decision, but throwing out an inferior sounding product and then telling their customers that they might like another version released sometime in the future better is absurd. What if I buy the CD and then decide I want the Sherwood mix instead when that arrives? I'm stuck paying for both? Or are fans supposed to sit back and wait for the Sherwood mix and then listen to side-by-side samples and then decide? Whatever momentum and interest that they did have going (and there are fans out there that want to hear what this lineup releases, despite the name squabble) is really going to take a hit, imho. I think they are doing Tate's band a real disservice here.
    I have solved the problem of which one to buy, and shall be buying neither the 'bad' mix and new 'mix'. This isn't based on what has happened with the band, but the lousy samples and the atrocious last 4 albums by Queensryche, which seem to be mainly Tate solo albums. The RealRyche song sounds good, though. I shall probably be tempted to get their album.

DeGarmo wrote most of the hits and isn't in either band so what seems just to me would be if the judge says "OK, let's split the name down the middle." And gives Tate "Queens" and gives the others "Ryche".
    Or do what they did with the 1970s glam band, The Rubettes - neither are allowed to use the name, so we have Rubettes featuring Alan Williams (And most of the original lineup) and Rubettes featuring Bill Hurd.

Although The Rubettes were a studio creation!

Banned
    Wouldn't Queens sound too much like Queen?

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    Wouldn't Queens sound too much like Queen?
    I deliberately gave Tate the less valuable and marketable portion of the name for being such a tool.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

Banned
    I deliberately gave Tate the less valuable and marketable portion of the name for being such a tool.
    Oh, I see. Ryche does sound a cool band name.

speaking of band names.. (look under Q)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._etymologies#Q

I thought there'd be a more in depth meaning behind the name.
    "She said you are the air I breathe
    The life I love, the dream I weave."

Unevensong - Camel

Billy Sherwood just announced that he's withdrawn from remixing this project...

Maybe Steven Wilson will do it now?

Quote Originally Posted by Harbottle View Post
    Billy Sherwood just announced that he's withdrawn from remixing this project...
    Well, I know he's sensitive, but I don't think it was my criticism that did it. (If you're reading, Mr. Sherwood, I love "The More We Live" and "Fate and Destiny," honest!) I'm suspecting Tate is more toxic than we thought.

From BS's Facebook page:

I've withdrawn from mixing the Queensryche project... Scheduling issues became a conflict, I'm in the middle of many projects both Studio productions and live stuff.... ("Prog Collective 2", "Steve Miller Tribute", "WIlliam Shatner Solo record", starting a "Doors tribute" soon, playing live in a few days with Eddie Jobson in Mexico, also just got interesting offer to play bass with a prog icon for a few gigs in June, I will announce "who" when it gets closer). While I was excited about taking the QR gig, reality is there is not enough time in my schedule at present... and so... I wish them luck on the project !!
    I live in an ephemeral eternity

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fantastic Progo Rican View Post
    From BS's Facebook page:
    Maybe Geoff was too demanding? I mean why take on the QR remix project if your plate is fool? I wonder if he'll wind up mixing the upcoming album by the real Queensryche.

Didn't Billy originally say he didn't know there were two Queensryches? Maybe he figured out what was going down and backed out as gracefully as he could to save face, not wanting to be a part of the whole sham. I mean, he already knew how busy his schedule was when he took on the project.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
    Didn't Billy originally say he didn't know there were two Queensryches? Maybe he figured out what was going down and backed out as gracefully as he could to save face, not wanting to be a part of the whole sham. I mean, he already knew how busy his schedule was when he took on the project.

It's either this, or he realized what a tool Tate is and decided he didn't want to get involved.

The scheduling thing doesn't pass the sniff test.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    It's either this, or he realized what a tool Tate is and decided he didn't want to get involved.

The scheduling thing doesn't pass the sniff test.
    5 album projects and playing with Eddie Jobson at Baja Prog 2013, I'd say it passes the sniff test for me. He's pretty damn busy. The "drama" surrounding this band was just the straw that broke the camel's back would be my guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Rand Kelly View Post
    5 album projects and playing with Eddie Jobson at Baja Prog 2013, I'd say it passes the sniff test for me. He's pretty damn busy.
    But that was my point -- he already knew how busy his schedule was before he took on the project, so it sounds like a half-baked excuse for him to say that's the reason he pulled out. "Oh, hey, Geoff, you know what? I can't do this project after all. I forgot how many other projects I have going!" Yeah, I don't think so.

The "drama" surrounding this band was just the straw that broke the camel's back would be my guess.
    Quite possibly -- and he used "I'm too busy" as an excuse to back out. Which, of course, would have been more diplomatic than saying "Tate, you're a tool. Forget it."
    Last edited by Adrian; 03-31-2013 at 01:08 PM.

both bands together wouldn't be suitable to shine the shoes of the band when De Garmo was in it.

5 album projects and playing with Eddie Jobson at Baja Prog 2013, I'd say it passes the sniff test for me. He's pretty damn busy. The "drama" surrounding this band was just the straw that broke the camel's back would be my guess.
    I'm not saying he's not busy.

The point is that he knew how busy he was before he initially agreed to work with TateRyche. What changed?

...and I see Adrian made the point much more eloquently than I did.

I know the fashionable thing to do right now is hate on Tate, but I actually like this new song (and I say this just judging it purely on whether or not I like the song, not including any feelings towards the name squabble, Tate's personality or the circus atmosphere going on right now with the two bands).

I don't like the song, but I dislike that video even more. Stop punching words already.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Wisdomview View Post
    I don't like the song, but I dislike that video even more. Stop punching words already.
    I'm afraid to listen. Does is sound like Dedicated To Chaos, part 2? I do like that album, but(like Hot Space by Queen) it should only be a one-time experiment.

Banned
    Does anyone on here live in California and/or listen to a morning show called Heidi And Frank? Apparently, Tate's version of QR will be a guest on that show.