Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Great drum intros !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    I seem to recall that Alex had a double kick set, and he actually added a second beater to both pedals, so each kick would give you kind of a "flam" effect. This was a precursor to the great speed drummers of today who can play kicks like no one in the 80's ever imagined. I'm sure guys like Portnoy, Mangini (Ok, not just DT drummers, but a lot of others) can play hot for teacher without breaking a sweat.
    The Urban Legend I heard at the time was that he recorded the exhaust from a Lambo then transitioned into the bass drums. I am sure it's false, but I like to think it's true when listening to it!
    (plus it would have to be out of tune, so to speak, and it sounds more like a muscle car to me)

No way is that a drum machine
    Not sure about that. The bass drums sound very mechanical. At the least it sounds like there's 3 drummers just wailing away. I could be wrong but I have a good ear. There were electric drums in 1983. Elecetric drums were around in the 70s.

Gentle Giant- Winning

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    I seem to recall that Alex had a double kick set, and he actually added a second beater to both pedals, so each kick would give you kind of a "flam" effect. This was a precursor to the great speed drummers of today who can play kicks like no one in the 80's ever imagined. I'm sure guys like Portnoy, Mangini (Ok, not just DT drummers, but a lot of others) can play hot for teacher without breaking a sweat.
    There were overdubs and Simmons electronic pads used for the studio version of Hot For Teacher intro according to the following link and a few other places on the web.

Below is a video of Mangini playing Hot For Teacher.

Quote Originally Posted by enpdllp View Post
    There were overdubs and Simmons electronic pads used for the studio version of Hot For Teacher intro according to the following link and a few other places on the web.

Below is a video of Mangini playing Hot For Teacher.
    Listening to the original again, yeah, I can hear the Simmons drums. Alex had Simmons pads in his drumkit during the 1984 and 5150 tours. But they sound like they're being played by a human, not a drum machine.

Quote Originally Posted by MindFur View Post
    The Urban Legend I heard at the time was that he recorded the exhaust from a Lambo then transitioned into the bass drums. I am sure it's false, but I like to think it's true when listening to it!
    (plus it would have to be out of tune, so to speak, and it sounds more like a muscle car to me)
    It does sound plausible, given that Eddie is said to have owned a couple Lamborghinis. Eddie and Sammy had the same auto mechanic, a guy named Claudio (you may remember him from the beginning of Sammy's I Can't Drive 55 video), who was apparently the guy who told Eddie he should call Sammy and ask him to be Van Halen's new singer.

It actually kinda sounds like that might have been the effect he was going for. You can almost imagine a supercar or muscle car idling and then taking off once the guitar comes in.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Not sure about that. The bass drums sound very mechanical. At the least it sounds like there's 3 drummers just wailing away. I could be wrong but I have a good ear. There were electric drums in 1983. Elecetric drums were around in the 70s.
    Well, saying that it's electronic drums and saying it's a drum machine are two different things. To me that initial sound you hear at the very start of the track sounds like a Simmons drumkit, but to me, it sounds like it's being played by a human. You won't get that with a drum machine.

Ya know, if it is the Simmons, I wonder if he just routed one of the tom tom or snare drum pads into the bass drum module, and played that intro with drumsticks, rather than playing it with a double bass drum.

A little more on the obscure side, but:

Les Claypool and Henry Rollins, "Delicate Tendrils"
    Rush, "Didacts and Narpets"

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Do cowbells count?
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Frank Zappa - Peaches En Regalia

Cobham-Vital Transformation, One Word

Barrie Barlow-No Lullaby

Mike Kellie-waitin' for the wind

Carmine Appice-The Break Song

Ginger Baker-Rain and the Rhinoceros

Franz Di Cioccio-Generale

Mitch Mitchell-Fire

Captain Beyond ~ "Dancing Madly Backwards"
    KC ~ "ItCtKC"
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

BJ wilson-Repent Walpurgis

Ian Paice-Living Wreck

Brian Downey-Things ain't workin out down on the farm, Rise and dear demise of the funky nomadic tribes, Johnny the fox meets Jimmy the Weed
    Last edited by Watanabe; 03-04-2013 at 10:48 PM.

How about "Do It Again" by Steely Dan? That's more of a percussion ensemble, but it always gets me revved up for the song.

Led Zep - Rock & Roll, fair enough, but I always preferred The Rover...

The drumroll at the beginning of The Clash's cover of "I Fought the Law (and the law won)."

Always loved that bit.
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire

Lust for life

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie B View Post
    Led Zep - Rock & Roll, fair enough, but I always preferred The Rover...
    Yeah, now you're talking....

People - Baker Gurvitz Army
    Asbury Park - King Crimson
    Rock and Roll - Led Zeppelin
    You Fool No One - Deep Purple
    Scheriff - ELP
    Stargazer Rainbow
    Intruder Peter Gabriel
    We're An American Band Grand Funk

Since I know for sure no one else will mention it:

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Wow...forgot 'We Will Rock You'-Queen !!!
    Those aren’t drums, though. They’re overdubbed stomps and handclaps.

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"'Thin Thighs For Your Man.' But I don't *like* men with thin thighs" --Daria

N.P.:“Rien”-Wapassou

Two more from The Beatles (in case no one's mentioned them yet): Rain and Tomorrow Never Knows.

She's so Fine - Hendrix
    Waitin for the Wind - Spooky Tooth

Ace of Wands-Steve Hackett. Phil Collins smokes on the studio version.
    Be a loyal plastic robot for a world that doesn't care... Frank Zappa

Holy crap! I can't believe I forgot this one:

Surfaris - Wipe Out