Thread: New brothers ape anyone else picking this up

New brothers ape anyone else picking this up

i heard whole cd tonite very mellow side and very good

where can you buy Brother Ape these days? they were always a little hard to find.

edit: nevermind.. unexpectedly found them on iTunes.
    Last edited by UnephenStephen; 03-04-2013 at 07:39 AM.
    "She said you are the air I breathe
    The life I love, the dream I weave."

Unevensong - Camel

I'm hoping for a physical release on this. The samples sound great.

Thanks of the post - didn't know they had a new one. Love the band - want to see them live - will buy CD when available.

Old man of prog
    I have loved the last couple of records and downloaded the new one from Bandcamp on Friday night. Have to say at least after 3 listens I'm disappointed. The songs just aren't as good. I really think these guys have the potential to actually crossover from Prog to the mainstream and dare I say be the next Police but have felt the low budget production has always hurt their chances. I think with the right creative partners the sky is the limit. I will continue to listen to this disc hoping these songs will eventually start to jump out.

Monotheistic Supernalist ProgPariah77's Avatar
    Downloaded this from iTunes about a week ago, but between the new Steven Wilson and Big Big Train, I just haven't had time to give it a good attentive listen. Yet.

Champion of Nothing Nicky Cupcakes's Avatar
    Hey, thanks for the post... looks like I have two of their releases to pick up! Listening to the most recent one right now on their BandCamp site and really liking it a lot.

They should look into where they rank on BandCamp though. I did a search for "Brother Ape" and they were like the 20th result

New album and new label for Brother Ape: http://www.brotherape.com/

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    New album and new label for Brother Ape: http://www.brotherape.com/
    The deluxe edition, which contains a bonus-disc with three EP's and two bonus-tracks, has sold out at the site of Brother Ape, but there are still copies at the shop of their label Freia Music http://www.fmls.biz/product/brother-...e-edition-2cd/

I have 4 cds by B Ape and have always liked this band a lot. I admit they were "out of sight, out of mind", but I'll be checking this out for sure.

THANKS!
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Maybe one of the moderators can edit the thread name and rewrite "brothers ape" into "Brother Ape", so people will have a better idea where this thread is about.

After one listen I must confess to being a bit underwhelmed (and I'm a huge fan.) We'll see...
    The Prog Corner

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Is this band similar to Pineapple Thief?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Is this band similar to Pineapple Thief?
    No, I would say that Brother Ape originally has more influences from progressive jazz-rock, while currently their drum-style often has a somewhat dance/techno-direction.

I strongly advice to get the double-CD version of the new album, because the EP's on the bonus-disc contain songs that are even better than on the original album.

Anyone unfamiliar with the band should seek out A Rare Moment Of Insight. Still my favorite from these wacky, jazzy Swedes.
    The Prog Corner

In 2004 I was introduced to Brother Ape by the moderator of the Happy The Man-forum, who's also from Sweden.
    I contacted the band and was given their first three albums, which were all private releases.
    After listening to them I was inspired to write the following review:

BROTHER APE
    Brother Ape
    Dogma
    On The Other Side
    (PRIVATE RELEASE)
    The Swedish Brother Ape conjures up enthusiasm as well as amazement. The band operates in the area that is being defined by Saga and It Bites and has in common with these big names the fact that it makes music on a fine prog-rocking and driving way, in which on can sense, in particular in the guitar-solo’s from Stefan Damicolas, a certain fondness for melodic jazz-rock. The compositions are complete with catchy melodies, while the performance also come over professional and passionate, in which are striking the strong harmony vocals, a Jeff Berlin-like, grunting bass and fluent though full sounding keyboard-parts. On a production level it also sounds outstanding – with a slight exception for the somewhat too shrill sounding Dogma from 2000 – which explains the enthusiasm. The amazement springs from the fact that these are private releases, pieces of perfect home-efforts, which have been apparently overlooked by the specialized labels since the eponymous debut from 1998. But Brother Ape has enough quality to be recognized on a big scale, not only because of the trademarks which have been described earlier, but also because of the ease in which influences like Genesis, Bruford, Steely Dan/You Were Spiraling, Pat Metheny and Frank Zappa are being woven into the music. The discs which last for about 40 minutes each also invite to re-listening because of the refined slow tracks, in which the attention for details is coming into prominence even more; the shuffling drum-sound in Railways (from the debut) for example imitates perfectly a chugging locomotive. Clockworks from On The Other Side (2000), which was being recorded live in the studio, shows that the band will also appeal to ones imagination on the stage. They work they way to a beautiful guitar-climax in a whipping up way, which competes with Bruford’s Fainting In Coils in a subtle way.

In 2005 they released their first album for Progress Records, "On The Other Side", which contains some reworkings from those first three albums.