Thread: OhioProg Festival - What happened ?

OhioProg Festival - What happened ?

Having just moved to the Akron, Ohio area I am wondering what happened to this event (?). I assume poor advance sales lead to the cancellation. Does anyone know if there are any Prog Rock organizations in this area (or maybe the Pittsburgh area)? Might the OhioProg idea be revisited ? Thanks in advance

IIRC, the Kickstarter campaign only met 10% or so of their funding.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Yeah, it was conditional, based on the Kickstarter campaign, which didn't come close. I don't know if nacho220 made the move over to PE3, but if he did, he can fill in the gory details.

Howard Levy, who put together the two 3RP (3 Rivers Progressive) Music Festivals, lives in the Pittsburgh area and on occasion still does one-off prog shows afaik.

He is a PE member (& a terrific guy, btw) whose PE name, strangely enough is 3RP. If so inclined, you could send him a private message & he can tell you more.

Pittsburgh's Mandrake Project & Persephone's Dream are both good bands.
    Last edited by progeezer; 03-02-2013 at 09:14 PM.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

The Winchester in Lakewood, about an hour and half drive from Akron brings prog acts to perform from time to time http://www.thewinchester.net

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Hey, I happen to know that this Wednesday, March 7th, there's an event called Prog Night at The Tavern off Broadway, in Bedford, Ohio.
    That's at 11 Woodrow in Bedford, Ohio. (440) 232-0233 5pm to 10pm.

Here's the Facebook page for the event:

https://www.facebook.com/events/5302...ref=ts&fref=ts

I have no idea where Bedford is, other than that it's in Ohio! I was invited to this by Jon Haverman, who used to post here occasionally. I don't know what they're doing there exactly, but Jon is a big Marillion fan and that's how we came to know each other. Since I live in NY I won't be there, but I'm sure it'll be fun!

Banned
    didn't Ohioprog have the entire line-up set up (Arena and one or two other fairly big names), venue, there was like a 10 minute promo video out and everything...and then...crickets.

^ They were doing crowdfunding and didn't get all the funding they needed. So I think they had preparations for failure, if you know what I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Hey, I happen to know that this Wednesday, March 7th, there's an event called Prog Night at The Tavern off Broadway, in Bedford, Ohio.

I have no idea where Bedford is, other than that it's in Ohio! I was invited to this by Jon Haverman, who used to post here occasionally. I don't know what they're doing there exactly, but Jon is a big Marillion fan and that's how we came to know each other. Since I live in NY I won't be there, but I'm sure it'll be fun!
    Bedford is a suburb of Cleveland, on the far east side.

Is Cleveland anywhere near Akron?

I don't know. They quit giving away free maps at Sohio stations back in the 70s, and I've been lost ever since.

LOL. So high! Oh!

Banned
    To quote another PE member - "JUST GOOGLE IT"

Thanks for this,... I have sent a message to the organizer !

About an hour

FYI - The band Kansas is having a HUGE 40th Anniversary gathering in Pittsburgh, PA on August 17, 2013, so please mark your calendars for that. One of us superfans will probably post something as soon as everything is cemented.

I don't live in Ohio, but I have a lot of friends who do, and even some family (sister's in-laws). I've had friends urge me to move there as they can provide a roof over my head until I find a job, but that is exactly what I'm doing here in Portland, Oregon and no success on the job scene. I don't think Cincinnati or Akron has more jobs than Portland does, and certainly Cleveland doesn't! In any case, I don't know if there's much of a local Prog scene in Akron. I was deeply upset when OhioProg didn't pan out because the line-up was so good. However, I know a lot of the more famous Prog bands usually include Ohio in their tours. Being an hour away from Cleveland, you are not too far from some good shows, and of course, good stuff happens in Pittsburgh, as well. Pittsburgh is another town on my "move to" list, but just as many people discourage me from moving there as encourage me.

Looks like tribute bands, of course, but a fun night, probably. I'd consider going if I lived in the area and had ticket and gas money.
    "The mountains are calling and I must go" - John Muir

"To breathe the same air as the angels, you must go to Tahoe" - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Hunnibee View Post

Looks like tribute bands, of course, but a fun night, probably.
    It looked like A DJ spinning Prog tunes to me. Either way, a nice get together with some fellow travellers. Probably a bit out of the way for me, but hopefully it draws enough interest to merit repeat events.

Akron's far enough from Cleveland that they used to have their own ABC affiliate station (channel 23 WAKR, then later WAKC), but close enough that neither CBS nor NBC ever went forth with such a venture (nor did Fox or any of the other crap networks that came into being later on).

It's far away enough that it's in a different county, but close enough that bands will sometimes play in Akron instead of Cleveland.

Akron's far away enough that they need their own classic rock station (or at least they used to...I don't know what format WONE broadcasts these days), but close enough that you can pick up said radio station in the eastern suburbs.

It's far away enough from Cleveland to have it's own "music scene", but close enough that a lot of the classic bands from said "scene" also played regularly in Cleveland.

and so on

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Bedford is a suburb of Cleveland, on the far east side.
    Not far east at all. Just east of I-77. Less than an hour from Akron.

And in Ohio, there's one place I would go
    Back to the arms of a girl I used to know
    We'll be ridin' back in style
    Gonna be there in awhile
    Back in the heart of a girl in Ohio

Girls and Prog Festivals........................

Rookie

When a first-time fest comes along and asks the 'fans' to raise $135,000 -- can you really have faith in that organization??

I thought this entire concept was just laughable in today's market.

Just the facts:

http://www.ohioprog.com/#/tickets/4550800957

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...sive-rock-fest

is there any talk of something filling the nearfest gap this year?

Quote Originally Posted by Cats On Glue View Post
    is there any talk of something filling the nearfest gap this year?
    Like a sinkhole in Florida?

Hey,... If you could help me get in touch with these guys I would appreciate it. I sent a facebook friend request to one of them but never heard anything back. I would really like to pursue this,... which means attending future events and maybe helping build the number of attendees in the area. Thanks !