Thread: Kansas-Fan Celebration show Pittsburgh PA August 17, 2013

Kansas-Fan Celebration show Pittsburgh PA August 17, 2013

Thought some of you might like to see this.

KANSAS Celebrates Fans, 40 Years, in One Special Night

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

STEEL CITY SELECTED TO HOST THE EVENT WITH SPECIAL GUEST APPEARANCES BY DAVE HOPE, KERRY LIVGREN, AND ROBBY STEINHARDT

Celebrating 40 years as a band, legendary American Progressive Rock Band KANSAS is taking a break from their regular touring schedule to say “thank you” to their legions of loyal “Wheatheads” with a once-in-a-lifetime fan appreciation concert scheduled for August 17, 2013 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.

When asked about the special evening, guitarist Richard Williams explains, “Our fans are the best in the world and have hung in there with us forever! We want to thank them with this very special event.”

To start the concert KANSAS will perform a set backed by a 35-piece symphony orchestra. Following an intermission, KANSAS will then rock out a traditional band set of classics from their repertoire. The night will be highlighted by special guest appearances throughout the concert by original members Dave Hope, Kerry Livgren, and Robby Steinhardt – marking the first time all original members of the band will be on the same stage together in more than 30 years.

Phil Ehart, KANSAS’s drummer further describes the event, “We do a symphony set, then we do a regular set. And in the meantime we have Dave, Kerry, and Robby playing on different songs with the current band through the whole show!!
    And we’ve got some great stuff planned for the intermission, too! It’s gonna rock!”

The event will take place at the Benedum Center for the Performing Arts (formerly the Stanley Theatre) in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This venue was selected because of the special meaning to the band due to their history of concerts and loyal fan base in the Steel City.

“People need to know that Pittsburgh, and the whole state of Pennsylvania, discovered the band KANSAS first! We came here in the early days and Pittsburgh was like our home away from home!” says Ehart. “Heck, we are even using Rich Engler to promote this show at what used to be the Stanley Theater. Rich Engler and the incredible Stanley Theater….just like the old days! How cool is that?”

In addition to regularly priced tickets, a limited number of VIP and Premium ticket packages will be available for this once-in-a-lifetime event. VIP packages will include premier seating, merchandise, and a meet and greet photo opportunity with all original and current members of KANSAS. Ticket and ticket package information will be forthcoming on the band’s official website, Facebook page and Twitter account.

The band KANSAS was formed in 1973 in Topeka, Kansas, by drummer Phil Ehart, bassist Dave Hope, guitarist/keyboardist Kerry Livgren, violinist/vocalist Robby Steinhardt, vocalist/keyboardist Steve Walsh, and guitarist Richard Williams; and is currently comprised of drummer Phil Ehart, bassist Billy Greer, violinist David Ragsdale, singer/keyboardist Steve Walsh, and guitarist Richard Williams.

Along with touring, KANSAS continues to remain a fixture of Classic Rock radio and has reached a whole new audience through their unmistakable presence on the popular video games Rock Band and Guitar Hero, and through their songs inclusion in various television shows such as ‘Supernatural,’ and ‘South Park,’ and with films ‘Old School,’ and ‘Anchorman.’

FOR MORE INFORMATION VISIT:

Official Website: www.kansasband.com
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/kansasband
    Twitter: @kansasband

Sounds like a lot o' fun. Wish I could go.

I'M THERE!

I'd consider traveling for something like this but I can't justify the cost. Damn, I wish they'd come back down here. I don't think they've toured SoFla for a while.

Banned
    so this is the current Kansas lineup along with Hope, Livgren and Steinhardt- wow!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Wheatheads? I never knew we were called that! I'm actually not that loyal a "Wheathead" (obviously), since there are a handful of Kansas albums I've never heard. But still...I'm a Wheathead? Well, better than a Parrothead, which I will never be.

How is Livgren doing these days after his stroke? Sounds like a great evening.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trespass View Post
    You are a "budgie head" you damn dirty ape. This place is a MADHOUSE, a F'N MADHOUSE!
    I don't like Budgie, but I do like Finch.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I don't like Budgie, but I do like Finch.
    I'm more of a Byrds fan.

Never liked that term - Wheathead. Sounds nerdy, and I'd probably have to be from the "Nation's Breadbasket" or wherever to wear it proudly. I love Kansas (the band) but am I a Wheathead? MMMmmmmm Nah! I guess it's like being a prog nerd or something like that.

I always thought it was a corny nickname too, though I'd rather be associated with a grain than a veggie if I had to choose. I've gotten used to it over the years.

Are they gonna film this?
    Gnish-gnosh borble wiff, shlauuffin oople tirk.

Got my ticket today, woot woot!!!

No, they are not filming this for a few reasons.

And what are those reasons?

I believe there are some physical limitations for some. Kerry surely can't play like he did pre-stroke so to have him be a part of it is amazing on any level. It's meant to be a one time thing for those that make it there.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    I believe there are some physical limitations for some. Kerry surely can't play like he did pre-stroke so to have him be a part of it is amazing on any level. It's meant to be a one time thing for those that make it there.
    I can totally understand if that's the reason, but it blows my mind that we have recorded audio and video of Live At The Whiskey and they won't film this one which is a milestone...

Quote Originally Posted by The Fantastic Progo Rican View Post
    I can totally understand if that's the reason, but it blows my mind that we have recorded audio and video of Live At The Whiskey and they won't film this one which is a milestone...
    They've actually done previous special shows in Pittsburgh, though not with an orchestra. Kerry joined them about five years ago (could be more) for one show. I missed that one, regretfully.

Thanks for posting this on Prog Ears, Brian. I was wondering if I should, but I've been busy with my "issues". The VIP tickets and most of the central floor tickets are already sold out, but there are still plenty of seats left for lucky fans. Don't wait too long, though. It will likely sell out long before August. Having been to three WheatFests in the past, I can tell you they are a lot of fun! This appears to be a huge night for diehard fans and casual fans alike. If you have the money to do it, folks, then do it. It's going to be a historic event! The ORIGINAL band members will be making an appearance! Most people know that Kansas is my favorite band and I would be thrilled to go, but my chances are pretty slim. I will always be a "Wheathead" in spirit, if I can't be one in wallet.
    "The mountains are calling and I must go" - John Muir

"To breathe the same air as the angels, you must go to Tahoe" - Mark Twain