2. David Bowie - See Emily Play
    3. Wyclef Jean - Wish You Were Here
    4. Marilyn Manson - Another Brick in the Wall
    5. Fish - Fearless

Banned
    what is "PF"?

Quote Originally Posted by 80s were ok View Post
    what is "PF"?
    Packet Filter, as should be obvious if you are doing network address translation for all those Pink Floyd song titles in the OP.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    What is "Fav"?

The Sadies do a nice Lucifer Sam, sometimes as a medley with Astronomy Domine. Richie Havens does a very moving version of On the Turning Away.

I'm not familiar with that many but one that comes to mind is Dar Williams version of "Comfortably Numb"

I always liked Bryan Adams' performance of "what Shall We Do?/Young Lust" from Waters' Berlin concert.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I rather like the Rasputina version of "Wish You Were Here."

Viktor Krauss does a great (but abridged) rendition of Shine On You Crazy Diamond on his II album with Shawn Colvin on vocals.

The recent Wish You Were Here by Nektar featuring Edgar Froese (Tangerine Dream) is pretty good.

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    The Soft Boys "Vegetable Man"
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisXymphonia View Post
    Viktor Krauss does a great (but abridged) rendition of Shine On You Crazy Diamond on his II album with Shawn Colvin on vocals.
    Wow, I'm a big Shawn Colvin fan, didn't know about this. Checking out samples of both of Viktor's recent CDs, will have to pick these both up. Thanks for the tip (PE is an expensive vice).

I picked up the 2 disc release called "A Fair Forgery of Pink Floyd" years ago. I remember liking a lot of the covers on there, but haven't listened to it in several years. I'll have to dig it out some time.

Oh, I also like Sylvan's version of "High Hopes" from a different compilation.

Jefferson James
    Can't come with five "favs" but The Three O'Clock's version of "Lucifer Sam" is pretty cool.

Steve Lukather does a great version of "Shine on You Crazy Diamond."
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

First pick is RPWL's "Cymballine", which also includes part of Atom Heart Mother (I believe it's the Funky Dung part). Riverside does a great take on the first section of Shine On You Crazy Diamond on the track Back To The River.

I would add RPWL Welcome To the Machine along with Cymbaline.
    Normal people are just people you don't know very well.

I don' have five, but I have always enjoyed Bim Skala Bim's rendition of Brain Damage.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar

I went to see Henry Mancini conducting an orchestra at an outdoor concert in 1990 or 91. Typical Mancini fare, "Pink Panther", "Moon River" etc. Pleasant enough. I'm about 30 years younger than the average person there and about halfway through the set, Mancini says he is going to play a song from a contemporary rock band. You can hear the moan. He goes on to ask the audience to not laugh and give the song a chance with an open mind. He explains the merits of the song and then the orchestra breaks out Pink Floyd's On The Turning Away!!! Totally floored not just that it was played very well in that context but that it was played at all. I think he even made some Pink Floyd fans out of the sea of grey beards and grandmas! So this version has a special place for me.

^ I met a clarinet teacher the other day who said and I quote, "I really love Pink Floyd."

For the people who like symphonic covers, Us and Them, The Symphonic Music of Pink Floyd is about the best I've heard in that genera. Not your standard fare as Jaz Coleman and Youth throw alot of twists and turns in the disk.

1. Spectre - Welcome To The Machine
    2. Us And Them - Us And Them
    3. The Machine - Echoes
    4. Pink Division - Time
    5. Pink Division - Wish You Were Here

The best full PF-tribute album I've ever heard is 'The Moon Revisited' by Magna Carta label.

The governments version of Money.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

I'm really tired of these Hayseed Dixie-type of covers...

It was fu nny at first, but it's become almost a lack of respect.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    For the people who like symphonic covers, Us and Them, The Symphonic Music of Pink Floyd is about the best I've heard in that genera. Not your standard fare as Jaz Coleman and Youth throw alot of twists and turns in the disk.
    Never heard a better one then this one except maybe the Easy Star All Stars treatment in reggae style of the whole Dark Side album.